Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

House Prices In Calgary & Getting A Mortgage

House Prices In Calgary & Getting A Mortgage

Old Nov 5th 2009, 11:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

brizzle is a splendid one to beholdbrizzle is a splendid one to beholdbrizzle is a splendid one to beholdbrizzle is a splendid one to beholdbrizzle is a splendid one to beholdbrizzle is a splendid one to beholdbrizzle is a splendid one to beholdbrizzle is a splendid one to beholdbrizzle is a splendid one to beholdbrizzle is a splendid one to beholdbrizzle is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: House Prices In Calgary & Getting A Mortgage

Originally Posted by Alan2005
I'm going to anecdotally back this up. My local supermarket does this, it's really annoying and I wish they'd stop doing it. The veg doesn't last very long and has to be used within a couple of days. Not really very impressed with the produce from Canadian supermarkets, at least in Vancouver - you have to be really picky with it.
Stuff from the supermarkets tends to be poor quality and/or expensive. Find a good local fruit and veg shop instead (there are a few about). Generally cheaper and better quality.
Old Nov 6th 2009, 3:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

Chookie has a reputation beyond reputeChookie has a reputation beyond reputeChookie has a reputation beyond reputeChookie has a reputation beyond reputeChookie has a reputation beyond reputeChookie has a reputation beyond reputeChookie has a reputation beyond reputeChookie has a reputation beyond reputeChookie has a reputation beyond reputeChookie has a reputation beyond reputeChookie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by brizzle
Stuff from the supermarkets tends to be poor quality and/or expensive. Find a good local fruit and veg shop instead (there are a few about). Generally cheaper and better quality.

I agree with this.

In Calgary, I would recommend shopping at the farmers market if you can - the fruit and veg tends to be much better quality (probably not quite so old...) and it is usually cheaper as well.
Old Nov 6th 2009, 3:51 pm
Lowering the tone

Jingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond repute

Is the Farmer's Market fruit & veg good value?

The only price I remember from there was when they wanted $76 for a turkey.
Old Nov 6th 2009, 5:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

Chookie has a reputation beyond reputeChookie has a reputation beyond reputeChookie has a reputation beyond reputeChookie has a reputation beyond reputeChookie has a reputation beyond reputeChookie has a reputation beyond reputeChookie has a reputation beyond reputeChookie has a reputation beyond reputeChookie has a reputation beyond reputeChookie has a reputation beyond reputeChookie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jingsamichty
Is the Farmer's Market fruit & veg good value?

The only price I remember from there was when they wanted $76 for a turkey.
I never buy meat from the farmers market, but I do think the veg is pretty good - especially because the quality is better so there is less waste.

you don't end up throwing stuff away because it has gone bad before you can use it.
Old Nov 6th 2009, 10:48 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

The Farmers' Market in Calgary is a complete rip-off. OK for those that don't mind paying over the odds for food. But it is a Caglary institution and trying to convince those that shop there otherwise is a complete waste of time.
Old Nov 7th 2009, 5:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

the undutchables is just really nicethe undutchables is just really nicethe undutchables is just really nicethe undutchables is just really nicethe undutchables is just really nicethe undutchables is just really nicethe undutchables is just really nicethe undutchables is just really nicethe undutchables is just really nicethe undutchables is just really nicethe undutchables is just really nice

Reading this thread, it amazes me the amount of people when, back in the UK complain and moan about the least little thing, and think that a move to Canada ( or anywhere else) will make everything better and nothing will annoy them. Then, after spending money and effort to make the move, spend all their time finding fault with everything and saying how it was better in the UK.
If all you have to worry about is how the supermarkets are conspiring to make you buy more veggies, I would say you are doing pretty good. In the big scheme of things, does it really matter? There are plenty of people who can't get any food whatsoever.

Canada is the 4th country we have lived in, and while no matter where you live, things are different from where you are from. To me, that is just part of the adventure.

If everyone concentrated their thoughts and efforts on the important issues, we would all be a lot better off!

In regards to the cost of living here ( in Calgary anyway) compared to the UK, some things are more expensive, some things less, the lifestyle is what you make it. Moving here isn't suddenly going to give you double the disposable income you had back home. It is all relative.

Living in Canada is going to give you new experiances and new opportunities, how you deal with that is up to you. An open mind will go a long way to a successful life here ( or anywhere, even in the UK)

( Thats my rant over)
Old Nov 7th 2009, 5:49 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by the undutchables
Reading this thread, it amazes me the amount of people when, back in the UK complain and moan about the least little thing, and think that a move to Canada ( or anywhere else) will make everything better and nothing will annoy them. Then, after spending money and effort to make the move, spend all their time finding fault with everything and saying how it was better in the UK.
If all you have to worry about is how the supermarkets are conspiring to make you buy more veggies, I would say you are doing pretty good. In the big scheme of things, does it really matter? There are plenty of people who can't get any food whatsoever.

Canada is the 4th country we have lived in, and while no matter where you live, things are different from where you are from. To me, that is just part of the adventure.

If everyone concentrated their thoughts and efforts on the important issues, we would all be a lot better off!

In regards to the cost of living here ( in Calgary anyway) compared to the UK, some things are more expensive, some things less, the lifestyle is what you make it. Moving here isn't suddenly going to give you double the disposable income you had back home. It is all relative.

Living in Canada is going to give you new experiances and new opportunities, how you deal with that is up to you. An open mind will go a long way to a successful life here ( or anywhere, even in the UK)

( Thats my rant over)
Come on then? What are these important issues? I'm assuming ranting about people not thinking about 'important issues' isn't one of them.
Old Nov 7th 2009, 6:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

the undutchables is just really nicethe undutchables is just really nicethe undutchables is just really nicethe undutchables is just really nicethe undutchables is just really nicethe undutchables is just really nicethe undutchables is just really nicethe undutchables is just really nicethe undutchables is just really nicethe undutchables is just really nicethe undutchables is just really nice

Originally Posted by Alan2005
Come on then? What are these important issues? I'm assuming ranting about people not thinking about 'important issues' isn't one of them.
Okay, good point.

I was trying to make the point that a lot of people expect that moving to Canada will miraculously make life wonderful and problem free. I have read peoples posts on here before they move saying how this and that is bad about the UK and they can't wait the get to Canada, and then, once here, find a whole load of new things to endlessly complain about. Okay, Canada isn't for everyone, and some realise that it isn't for them once they are here.

Life has the same trials no matter where you are. As I said in my previous post, when some people don't have any food, and I am not just talking about 3rd world countries, there are a lot of homeless people in Calgary, the price of veg and how long it takes to go off, isn't really that important.

There are a lot of things that I am annoyed by, but I don't give them any more than a passing thought. Why waste your thoughts and energy on small annoyances, and enjoying the good things a new country has to offer.

Last edited by the undutchables; Nov 7th 2009 at 6:57 pm.
Old Nov 9th 2009, 2:19 am
Just Joined

bowstreet-runner is an unknown quantity at this point

Moved to Canada two and a half months ago with my family. Best move I ever made. I found that TD Canada Bank recognised my UK credit history (once I had spoken with the Bank Manager). Ithink your money goes further but I came for the quality of life and its fantastic. Everyone is polite and friendly and the kids play in the street and are safe. What more do you need?
Old Nov 9th 2009, 8:29 am
happy daisy

spankysparkle has much to be proud ofspankysparkle has much to be proud ofspankysparkle has much to be proud ofspankysparkle has much to be proud ofspankysparkle has much to be proud ofspankysparkle has much to be proud ofspankysparkle has much to be proud ofspankysparkle has much to be proud ofspankysparkle has much to be proud ofspankysparkle has much to be proud ofspankysparkle has much to be proud of

( Thats my rant over)
I so agree with you!
Old Nov 26th 2009, 2:54 pm
The Seldom Seen Kid

Buchan6 is just really niceBuchan6 is just really niceBuchan6 is just really niceBuchan6 is just really niceBuchan6 is just really niceBuchan6 is just really niceBuchan6 is just really niceBuchan6 is just really niceBuchan6 is just really niceBuchan6 is just really niceBuchan6 is just really nice

Having lived in Canada in 06/07 & considering returning, from personal experience I'd class your comments as very valid advice and not a rant !

Key advice number 1 is stop comparing things especially those of a financial nature.

( Thats my rant over)