Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

House insurance

House insurance

Old Dec 11th 2007, 6:54 pm
Forum Regular

cynthia2373 will become famous soon enoughcynthia2373 will become famous soon enough
Default House insurance

Hello

Trying to get quotes for home insurance at the moment on the house we're buying - is it me or is it b****y expensive?!
Could you please let me know who you used. The house is a wood built property about 10km from town - so not very close to a fire hydrant or fire hall!!
Thanks
C
Old Dec 11th 2007, 6:59 pm
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: House insurance

Originally Posted by cynthia2373
Hello

Trying to get quotes for home insurance at the moment on the house we're buying - is it me or is it b****y expensive?!
Could you please let me know who you used. The house is a wood built property about 10km from town - so not very close to a fire hydrant or fire hall!!
Thanks
C
Your question is somewhat impossible to answer unless you tell us which province & possibly which town/city/municipality you are looking at. For example a wooden house, 7 years old in a community but not on town water near St Johns NL costs about $700 p.a. to insure. That's relavent to me but as a piece of information is probably of limited use to you unless you are planning to move here.
Old Dec 11th 2007, 7:01 pm
Forum Regular

cynthia2373 will become famous soon enoughcynthia2373 will become famous soon enough

Sorry about that, forgot that important piece of information!

It's in Tweed, Ontario. The house was built in 1979 (I think!)
Thanks for your help.
Old Dec 11th 2007, 7:03 pm
Pea Brain

R I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond repute

Hello

Thanks
C
You can always add your own fire hydrant - speak to your local fire hall/city planning department if you want the peace of mind.
Old Dec 11th 2007, 7:07 pm
Ontario

Sutherlands is a splendid one to beholdSutherlands is a splendid one to beholdSutherlands is a splendid one to beholdSutherlands is a splendid one to beholdSutherlands is a splendid one to beholdSutherlands is a splendid one to beholdSutherlands is a splendid one to beholdSutherlands is a splendid one to beholdSutherlands is a splendid one to beholdSutherlands is a splendid one to beholdSutherlands is a splendid one to behold

Just got mine from State farm, 15% off as we have other insurance with them.

Half brick and metal siding and near a fire hydrant, fire station in Bowmanvile Ontario.

Cost per month $69 thats contents and buliding.
Old Dec 11th 2007, 7:14 pm
Scottish Canuck

Cookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by R I C H
You can always add your own fire hydrant - speak to your local fire hall/city planning department if you want the peace of mind.

I had to give info regarding sq ft of house, what type of heating system I use, proximity to nearest fire hydrant, any outdoor deck spec and outbuildings. It did not matter about the size of our land as I queried what would happen if one of our trees fell onto the house - was told no additional coverage required for 2 acres of woods.

Our insurance cost $950 p.a. for 2700 sq/ft house and that includes contents ($100 off for taking out car insurance too - best car quote by far). Minimum deductible $1000 - very high compared to the UK but I was told it was it was the norm here - could probably get quote for lower deductible but wouldn't like to see the premium!
Old Dec 11th 2007, 7:16 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks for that, will try to find out more about them!

Originally Posted by Sutherlands
Just got mine from State farm, 15% off as we have other insurance with them.

Half brick and metal siding and near a fire hydrant, fire station in Bowmanvile Ontario.

Cost per month $69 thats contents and buliding.
Old Dec 11th 2007, 7:19 pm
Forum Regular

That doesn't sound too bad! Do you mind me asking who this was with?

The only quote I have had so far (from the agent currently insuring the property) is $1650p.a. with 1,000 deductible (house, contents and personal liability...)

Originally Posted by Yes-can-do
I had to give info regarding sq ft of house, what type of heating system I use, proximity to nearest fire hydrant, any outdoor deck spec and outbuildings. It did not matter about the size of our land as I queried what would happen if one of our trees fell onto the house - was told no additional coverage required for 2 acres of woods.

Our insurance cost $950 p.a. for 2700 sq/ft house and that includes contents ($100 off for taking out car insurance too - best car quote by far). Minimum deductible $1000 - very high compared to the UK but I was told it was it was the norm here - could probably get quote for lower deductible but wouldn't like to see the premium!
Old Dec 11th 2007, 7:20 pm
Forum Regular

Didn't know you could do that, I might look into it at a later date, thanks!
Originally Posted by R I C H
Old Dec 13th 2007, 6:53 pm
Scottish Canuck

Cookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond repute

That doesn't sound too bad! Do you mind me asking who this was with?

The only quote I have had so far (from the agent currently insuring the property) is $1650p.a. with 1,000 deductible (house, contents and personal liability...)
Originally Posted by Yes-can-do

Just dug out my quote and discovered it was in fact only $616.00 pa for house/contents insurance. The $950 quote I mentioned earlier was for my car (2006 Honda CR-V).

I went through a broker but the company the policy is held with is www.avivacanada.com
Old Dec 13th 2007, 7:23 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for your help.
We have a 1978 house, not near anywhere, in Ontario. House, contents, public liability, tractor and saddlebeast endorsements, barn contents
($10,000 for tack and whatnot), total $800/year. I understand the sticking point with rural properties is often the woodstove, we insured with the same company as the previous occupants (Peel Mutual) on the assumption that previous annual stove inspections would count for something. I'm content with the price.
Old Dec 13th 2007, 8:44 pm
Scottish Canuck

Originally Posted by dbd33
We have a 1978 house, not near anywhere, in Ontario. House, contents, public liability, tractor and saddlebeast endorsements, barn contents
($10,000 for tack and whatnot), total $800/year. I understand the sticking point with rural properties is often the woodstove, we insured with the same company as the previous occupants (Peel Mutual) on the assumption that previous annual stove inspections would count for something. I'm content with the price.
We have a woodstove in the basement and had to provide lots of info to our insurers eg how long is the stove pipe, how far does it sit from the wall, what is the clearance around the stove, what kind of flooring does it sit on, was it installed to official rules and regs.
Old Dec 13th 2007, 9:24 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond repute

Have you tried ING ? We bundled two cars and house together and got a couple of $100 discounts - tried to find figures but my filing in such a muddle currently that I cannot put my hands on it !!
Old Dec 13th 2007, 10:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

Posidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond repute

You could try Canadian Direct. We were paying $3500 for 2 cars plus tennants insurarane with ING but this dropped to $2000 for the same 2 cars plus building/contents insurances on our 2500 ft2 house. Not helped by a driving indiscresion by myself two years before I left the UK.
Old Dec 13th 2007, 11:53 pm

Canada Jane has disabled reputation

Thanks for your help.
We live near Belleville and got our insurance through Bob Brown at Newman, Oliver McCarten in Belleville (613-968-6705). They also have an office in Madoc (613-473-2473) close to you. The quote we got for both car and home insurance when we first moved here was really good and came down a lot after the first year. Might be worth giving them a ring. They are a broker and the actual insurance was through Pembridge.

Good luck
Jane

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.