Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

House buildings and contents insurance!

House buildings and contents insurance!

Old Mar 16th 2016, 5:57 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: House buildings and contents insurance!

Originally Posted by withabix
Try Square One Insurance...
Just tried...they don't cover my bit

Some of these on line quotes are a waste of time.
Apart from not covering here, I've had "sorry, based on your heating system we cannot give a quote." Really? For a heat pump?

I changed it to electric and still got sorry no quote.

There were also a couple where phone number was asked for a call back. For an on line quote.

One asked for my d/b another asked for the d/b of the eldest person in the house.

But I did get two quotes (not including contents) from one site. One was $150 less than I pay for the year but with contents would probably cost more and the other was half what I pay.

Might follow up on that. Funnily enough it was PC Financial. Bit of a surprise.
Old Mar 16th 2016, 6:18 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pine Cone
...I'm trying to work out how it all works in Canada, but online quite generators are not much help when you don't understand the market.
Originally Posted by Aviator
Go to a broker. They will give you advice and make sure you get the right policy and coverage...
The best advice.

We pay $2,400 for two houses including business use, earthquake and all bells and whistles except overland flood. This is covered by the province. However, it is a long way from the GTA.
Old Mar 16th 2016, 6:41 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

...except the ones that don't!
Out of curiosity I did a self quote. Put in what I thought I need for coverage, which is a bit less than I have now and Squareone came out $80 a year more than I currently pay. Seems like Barton got me a good policy.
Old Mar 16th 2016, 9:16 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

That is who we use. By being able to exclude coverage for things like jewlery and furs and other stuff we dont have and cover for they came out ahead price wise. And I can do everything with square one online.

Try Square One Insurance. We found them to be a lot cheaper than the competition. We pay $97/mo to insure our 3000sq ft house and contents (including earthquake etc)

Menu-pricing (don't insure what you haven't got) and options for different deductables (excesses).

We had a claim in December ($18k basement plumbing flood) and it was dealt with very well. Only held up by Christmas and the fact that the repair company were really busy (as is the case in the Vancouver area).

Flood happened at 9am.
Crew were on site by 12 noon.
Basement stripped out by 5.30pm.

https://www.squareoneinsurance.ca/ref/JYTUGY

Yes - that is an affiliate link. [Mods please delete the last bit if it's not allowed]

You get a $10 Home Depot card for getting a quote.

I only get a $10 Home Depot card if you buy insurance.
Old Mar 17th 2016, 12:51 pm
Forum Regular

Muskoka has a reputation beyond reputeMuskoka has a reputation beyond reputeMuskoka has a reputation beyond reputeMuskoka has a reputation beyond reputeMuskoka has a reputation beyond reputeMuskoka has a reputation beyond reputeMuskoka has a reputation beyond reputeMuskoka has a reputation beyond reputeMuskoka has a reputation beyond reputeMuskoka has a reputation beyond reputeMuskoka has a reputation beyond repute

I'm in Muskoka (two hours north of TO) and have just got a quote for the house Im buying that has a 25% finished basement. House is out in the boonies and is 2100 sq ft. The $2000 per annum...........I'll be contacting some of the above companies - see if I can improve on that.