Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

House with acreage to build log holiday homes - Quinte Region...Questions?

Wikiposts

House with acreage to build log holiday homes - Quinte Region...Questions?

Old Jul 13th 2006, 9:00 am
Happily hungover

1066 has a reputation beyond repute1066 has a reputation beyond repute1066 has a reputation beyond repute1066 has a reputation beyond repute1066 has a reputation beyond repute1066 has a reputation beyond repute1066 has a reputation beyond repute1066 has a reputation beyond repute1066 has a reputation beyond repute1066 has a reputation beyond repute1066 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: House with acreage to build log holiday homes - Quinte Region...Questions?

Originally Posted by Gray C
Back now from the pub and refreshed having had a really nice curry. Iain to answer your last point I have had so many people asking to come out and visit us we could probably book up solidly tomorrow. Provided we offer good value and quality accommodation I think any rental property would let itself. I know this from having an apartment in Menorca that I used to rent out. I did not need to advertise it at all. With saying that, Menorca is not Canada and the flights are more expensive. However, I do think that we would get a good client base from the UK and that is without looking at the Canadian or USA market.

Provided we can up our budget a bit we would be interested in filling the "up market" void that you refer to.

If we could get all year round lettings that would be an added bonus too, as I really thought that would only apply to Alberta and BC with the skiing clientele.

I really think that we need to get out there and have a good look around and speak to a few good realtors, as well as your good selves.

Thanks to you, Flashman, and everyone else for your ongoing help.

Graham & Pauline

Have you considered buying into the 'mobile' market?

There are some very nice units for sale, dirt cheap, and very lettable. You could probably buy 10 units out in Nova Scotia for the cost of 1 condo in BC.
Old Jul 13th 2006, 9:04 am
BE Forum Addict

Gray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: House with acreage to build log holiday homes - Quinte Region...Questions?

Originally Posted by 1066
Have you considered buying into the 'mobile' market?

There are some very nice units for sale, dirt cheap, and very lettable. You could probably buy 10 units out in Nova Scotia for the cost of 1 condo in BC.
Yes we have thought about this, but was not sure that they are a "Canadian thing" Mobiles do not go up in valuation, but can be a good source of income for sure.

I may post a similar question based upon NS, as I do really like it there.
Old Jul 13th 2006, 9:29 am
BE Forum Addict

pennyhp has a reputation beyond reputepennyhp has a reputation beyond reputepennyhp has a reputation beyond reputepennyhp has a reputation beyond reputepennyhp has a reputation beyond reputepennyhp has a reputation beyond reputepennyhp has a reputation beyond reputepennyhp has a reputation beyond reputepennyhp has a reputation beyond reputepennyhp has a reputation beyond reputepennyhp has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

We are thinking of buying a house with plenty of acreage to build a couple of holiday log cabins to be used for rental purposes.

We are thinking about the Quinte/Prince Edward County region as a location as it is tourist orientated.

Does anyone have a rough idea of the cost of building a couple of basic two bedroomed log cabins?

Is the location a good one to be considering this?

What pitfalls do we have to overcome in this quest, eg planning permission, putting in electricity and other servicing costs etc etc. Again any rough idea of the costs?

We realise that the income will mostly be during the peak summer months, but if the costs of building these homes is not too prohibitive, it should be worthwhile to generate extra income.

Budget of approx $400,000 to $450,000.......Yes or no?

Is this a good idea, or a crazy bird brained silly foolhardy idea.

Your views please, especially Iaink, Flashman, Canada Jane and anyone else living in this area.

Cheers

Graham

Thank you Graham for asking this question.
It is something we are hoping to do too, only in NB.

We intend to buy an acreage and to put some chalets/cabins of some discription on it for self catering holiday accommodation.

Great thread. I will send karma.

Penny
Old Jul 13th 2006, 12:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

stepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond repute

I've often thought that where we live has such great tourist potential if only the City of Cornwall could see it. It's an old industrial town that has lost most of it's industry but being right on the St Lawrence Seaway with the US literally two minutes away and an hour from either Montreal or Ottawa it seems like the perfect hub to base a holiday. I don't know why I'm posting this really but if I had lots and lots of cash and I knew what I was doing then maybe there'd be an oppertunity to do that kind of thing here.
Old Jul 13th 2006, 2:57 pm
ModerĪ±tor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Back now from the pub and refreshed having had a really nice curry. Iain to answer your last point I have had so many people asking to come out and visit us we could probably book up solidly tomorrow. Provided we offer good value and quality accommodation I think any rental property would let itself. I know this from having an apartment in Menorca that I used to rent out. I did not need to advertise it at all. With saying that, Menorca is not Canada and the flights are more expensive. However, I do think that we would get a good client base from the UK and that is without looking at the Canadian or USA market.
Problem is that its one thing to pay for an airfare to come over and check out your new digs for a week or two, but its another to pay $800 for airfare plus $1200 to stay at your resort as a client.

The trick is to get the canadian family market who will come to a local cottage they like year in and year out. Obviousy some of those with the disposable income to afford an upmarket cottage will have bought there own, but other would prefer to avoid the hassle and upkeep of year round ownership.

Being realistic, without the family or friend connection this is not an obvious place to visit in canada, compared to say Toronto, Niagara, the Rockies, or even PEI or the Bay of Fundie, so I wouldnt rely on international clientel to keep coming, there are too many other places to check out in Canada, regardless of how nice it is around here. But people in the To to Ottawa corridor might be pursueded? But still a large waterfront lot around here will eat a big chunk of your budget, so the business plan would need a good look, and it would be worth contacting the business development agancy and the chamber of commerce (who run the tourist office) to see what there take is on the potential demand for a place like that.

I dont understand why there isnt something like CenterParcs here, the potential for business in the winter would be huge I think. Why fly south when you could drive to the woods and enjoy a large pool and all that other stuff.
Old Jul 13th 2006, 6:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

Gray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Chops
Graham,

I think your idea is basically sound and I believe it would be possible to buy land and build cabins.

I only know the Columbia Valley area of BC well so with that in mind here are "my" thoughts to your questions:

http://www.cabinkit.com has quite a number of cabin kits. If I have read it correctly the kits range from $30k to $70k. On top of that will be your labour, ground work etc.

I would imagine you could build two cabins for $200k plus land. Some friends of mine built an 8,000 sqft showroom for $500k inc. land.

If you buy out of the town limits (which you would have to do I think) there are no planning or building regs. However, I don't think that breaking building regs is a good idea for safety or insurance reasons.

You could buy a house with enough land for your cabins for under $500k, depening on how nice a house you want and how much land.

If you were to go to the Columbia valley then there are at least 3 ski areas: Kicking Horse, Kimberly and Fernie nearby. These will provide 2 seasons of income, potentially. (Kicking Horse is awesome by the way!)

The other option would be to buy somewhere with cabins already built.

I wouldn't be happy taking on a large debt to finance such a project as I don't know how much income it would provide but if you have the money already then I expect you could make a living from it. That kind of business would not require much of your time so you could quite easily do a full time job also.

All in all, it is a viable business (depending on gearing) as other folk do it but whether it would work for you is another matter.

Cheers,

Ian.
Thanks Ian

Interesting thoughts.
Old Jul 14th 2006, 12:05 am

Canada Jane has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by iaink
Return On Investment

Taking Flashmans point, The immediate area I live in is right on the Trent, which of course has the Trent Severn Waterway, so boats go by all summer, perhaps looking for somewhere to moore for the night. Its also right on the Hastings Heritage trail, so Skidoos in the winter, ATVs in the summer, and that hooks up with the transcanada trail.

There is also year round fishing, and a couple of local cottage groups cater pretty much exclusively to the fishing trade, so I guess its doable.

The market niche that I dont think is being filled near me is for more upmarket (midrange) cottage accomodation, a step up in class from places like the catchmore cottages

The log cabin idea would have been perfect for my brother, looking for somewhere pretty nice in place of the "best western" for his family to stay in. Somewhere on a lake, laid back in an adirondiac chair on the jetty or deck watching the sun set, sounds nice to me I had a look and couldnt find anything close enough to Belleville / Trenton.

The question is though how many more are there like him who would come to this area, bearing in mind he's coming basically to visit us and to be god parent to offspring #2 who is getting doused this weekend?
I agree with Iain about the more upmarket idea. When we looked around here for places to stay we found that the cottages available were, how to put it kindly - modest with features and decor etc.

If you had high speed internet for example, which is available pretty much all over the island this would open you up to clients who want a break, but need to keep in touch with the outside world or do business whilst there. We found very little accommodation available with this facility - a must for us. People on fact finding trips like we were and you will be probably like to have internet access to keep up with MLS etc, I know we did.

Also many already available are small and have bog-standard decor and amenities. If you can give people something different with a little more comfort I'm sure it would go down well. Obviously you would have to keep the prices relative to the existing properties available. Swimming pools are another excellent idea in this area.

Jane