Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Hotels in Edmonton

Hotels in Edmonton

Old Dec 15th 2008, 5:52 pm
Happy Bunnies

Flossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Hotels in Edmonton

We stayed at the Crowne Plaza too - lovely comfy beds and a nice clean room. Check their website for offers - think we got a rate for around $99 including breakfast buffet in the winter season.

If you fancy a bit of a laugh and want to be near West Edmonton Mall, then go for a theme room at the Fantasyland Hotel - they often do special offers too. We stayed in a roman room last time with circular bed, mirrors on the ceiling (not recommended if you look cr$p in the mornings!) lots of nets and a huge jacuzzi with roman statues - hilarious!

Other half stays at the Matrix quite a lot and says its very modern, clean and handy for where he has to go for meetings!

Last edited by Flossie and Jim; Dec 15th 2008 at 5:55 pm.
Old Dec 19th 2008, 7:34 am
Just Joined

onside is an unknown quantity at this point

It all depends on what area of the city you want to stay in and what you are looking for. If you want activity and to be able to walk and explore, stay downtown or in the Whyte Avenue area.

In the downtown area, mid range decent hotels are the Holiday Inn Express, the Courtyard by Marriot, and the Coast Edmonton Plaza hotel. The Matrix is a newly renovated boutique hotel that I haven't tried. And the Coast Edmonton House has suite rooms but they can be hit and miss.

Near Whyte Avenue (the funky shopping/restaurant/bar area), there is the Varscona Hotel and the Met. The Varscona is comfortable and the Met is trendy. Be forewarned that the area becomes crowded and sometimes rowdy. with bar hoppers Thursday to Sunday.

There are three other major hotel corridors. On the south entrance of the city. The Delta South and Greenwood are safe enough choices. There are more hotels that while being clean, have a late 80s/early 90s dated feel to them. The unfortunate thing about this area is that it is strictly a hotel and business area with not much sightseeing.

On the west end of the city, there are several hotels that are within striking distance of West Edmonton Mall. Again, don't expect touristy but you are close to shopping Of these hotels, I'd choose the Hampton Inn or Hilton Garden Inn for quality but not convenience. There is also a new Holiday Inn that opened on a main road but don't contemplate staying here unless you have a car.

Slightly further north of downtown is a small group of hotels near the small municipal airport. Of these ones, I'd recommend the Nova Suites and Hotel. I'm not sure where you would be doing your testing but if you have to find your own way to the Edmonton Police training facility, this is probably your best bet for closeness.

I'd suggest not deciding on a hotel until you know what your schedule is and where you will be needed. A great website to check hotel rates is www.kayak.com. Feel free to contact me for more details... I do a lot of meeting planning and have run the gamut of hotels in Edmonton.
Old Dec 20th 2008, 8:42 am
Forum Regular

LisaandSteve is on a distinguished road

Wow thanks for that, will certainly be in touch once we get a schedule! Brilliant information! thank you so much x