Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Hotel room prices

Hotel room prices

Old Oct 24th 2006, 7:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

printer has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond repute
Default Hotel room prices

I have just been on the net booking hotel rooms for our trip in late December and i noticed that they all obviously quote room prices without tax included but what i did not understand is that the tax rate varies.
4 different places all in B.C. all with the same hotel group, one quoted 14% tax, one quoted 16% tax and one 17% tax.
Can someone enlighten me please?

Printer
Old Oct 24th 2006, 7:26 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Hotel room prices

Originally Posted by printer
I have just been on the net booking hotel rooms for our trip in late December and i noticed that they all obviously quote room prices without tax included but what i did not understand is that the tax rate varies.
4 different places all in B.C. all with the same hotel group, one quoted 14% tax, one quoted 16% tax and one 17% tax.
Can someone enlighten me please?

Printer
Municipal occupany taxes.
Old Oct 24th 2006, 10:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

kt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
Municipal occupany taxes.
Plus energy taxes.

Just one of dozens of direct and indirect* hands-in-your-pocket taxes. I used to wonder why they don't include them in the final price, but I've come to realize it's a well-loved kind of reverse lottery: "what will the $49 room actually be.. oo, the excitement. Yes! I won -$23.73! Woo hoo!"

K.
*E.g. the "I'm sorry, the IT people can't reprogram the tills so you can't have the 1% cut in GST" tax.
Old Oct 24th 2006, 10:35 pm

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by kt0157
*E.g. the "I'm sorry, the IT people can't reprogram the tills so you can't have the 1% cut in GST" tax.
That little gem is all in your mind. It may have been an issue in the first few days but not since.
Old Oct 25th 2006, 12:02 am
BE Forum Addict

kt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hangman
That little gem is all in your mind. It may have been an issue in the first few days but not since.
Ah. So when I was overcharged in a number of stores for several weeks after the change, I imagined it? Well, thanks for being able to read my mind and work out I'm delusion, all via a net connection. You ought to charge for your services (but don't add 7% GST when you do).

K.
Old Oct 25th 2006, 1:00 am

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point

Ah. So when I was overcharged in a number of stores for several weeks after the change, I imagined it? Well, thanks for being able to read my mind and work out I'm delusion, all via a net connection. You ought to charge for your services (but don't add 7% GST when you do).

K.
Give it a rest.
Old Oct 25th 2006, 2:43 am
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

K.
You were overcharged 1%? This matters to you?

Gife a let (anag).
Old Oct 25th 2006, 8:46 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
You were overcharged 1%? This matters to you?
The amount of money is small, but the "screw you" attitude of companies is unpleasant.

Gife a let (anag).
That is getting very very very stale. Find something witty to replace it?

K.
Old Oct 25th 2006, 8:48 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Hangman
Give it a rest.
When you stop posting personal insults, we'll see, shall we?

K.
Old Oct 25th 2006, 8:56 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

That is getting very very very stale. K.
Pot, Kettle, Black
Old Oct 25th 2006, 1:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

printer has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond repute

The purpose of this thread was to ask a simple question which was kind of answered and then it decends into the usual slanging match.

This seems to be the way that so many threads go and it is not helpful to all those that genuinely want advice.
Old Oct 25th 2006, 1:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by printer
This seems to be the way that so many threads go and it is not helpful to all those that genuinely want advice.
It's because some people are very very touchy about any form of words that could possibly be construed as an attack of their adopted country. They then get angry and personal. It's to be expected, I suppose, since it's just another form of piousness of the recently converted.

K.