Reload this Page >

Hotel/B&B's in Toronto

Wikiposts

Hotel/B&B's in Toronto

Old Jan 2nd 2008, 1:24 am

Member123 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Hotel/B&B's in Toronto

Originally Posted by Oakvillian
Never been to the Residence Inn, so can't comment on the hotel itself, but I am currently sitting in an office a couple of blocks from there (100 Wellington W). My window looks out the other way so I can't actually see the hotel from here, but the area's nice enough. 225 Wellington W puts it opposite the back of the CBC studios, on the same block as Roy Thomson Hall and Metro Hall, a stone's throw from the Princess of Wales and Royal Alexandra theatres - so plenty of options for evening entertainment within walking distance!
Originally Posted by Ben W Bell
225 Wellington Street West is a very good area. Right behind the CBC broadcast centre, two blocks from the CN Tower, a short walk to Union station and the financial centre, it's in the heart of the entertainment district but not on the streets with the dodgy nightclubs. Several theatres within 3-4 minutes walk, restaurants, subway access very close by as well as streetcars. Not a bad place to stay. Never used the hotel, but the location is good even though they won't get a tremendous view (but that's usually the case with cheaper hotels anyway, and even the more expensive ones).
Thanks Oak and Ben - I think a good area is half the battle
Old Jan 2nd 2008, 6:48 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Alvic
Guys and girls - what do you think of the Residence Inn by Marriott in Downtown 225 Wellington St West? Seems like a decent enough area but thats only on the internet
I've stayed in umpteen Residence Inns. Mid market chain catering to travelling salesmen, itinerant computer people and the like. One notch above the Holiday Inn. Nothing wrong with them. Go for it.
Old Jan 2nd 2008, 7:59 am

Originally Posted by dbd33
I've stayed in umpteen Residence Inns. Mid market chain catering to travelling salesmen, itinerant computer people and the like. One notch above the Holiday Inn. Nothing wrong with them. Go for it.
It's just built there in 2007 and has fully fitted kitchens and unless they are lying in their photos it looks a lot more than a notch above a Holiday Inn
Old Jan 2nd 2008, 8:04 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

It's just built there in 2007 and has fully fitted kitchens and unless they are lying in their photos it looks a lot more than a notch above a Holiday Inn
You don't like the Holiday Inn? I think they're mostly rather smart, I can't tell them from the run of Hilton/Marriott/Sheraton hotels. I suppose I usually stay in the Crowne Plaza ones but there was only one, in King of Prussia I think, where I feared for my life and only one, in Erie PA, where I saw creatures.
Old Jan 2nd 2008, 8:09 am
Magnificently Withering

Oakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond repute

just had a look at their website... if you do decide to go with this one and it turns out well for you, please come back and tell us - I'm always looking for recommendations for hotels near the office for people visiting on business. It would certainly be convenient for us, and kitchen-equipped suites always go down well with people coming in off long flights who may want to prepare a snack or meal out of synch with the restaurant's timetable!
Old Jan 2nd 2008, 8:28 am
BE Forum Addict

Bill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond repute

I think of a bog-standard Holiday Inn as being a basic roadside motel. The Crowne Plaza properties are much nicer. Residence Inns are far better than a standard roadside joint (regular Holiday Inn, Red Roof, Motel 6, etc.). The missus travels for business quite a bit, and she prefers Marriott properties (including Courtyard and Residence Inn). Even Fairfield Inn is decent enough most of the time. Marriott employees are generally very well trained and will almost always try take care of problems.
Old Jan 2nd 2008, 11:17 am
BE Forum Addict

YYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond repute

Guys and girls - what do you think of the Residence Inn by Marriott in Downtown 225 Wellington St West? Seems like a decent enough area but thats only on the internet
Wow! Must be the place they were building when I was on 250-270 Wellington 2 years ago in a borrowed condo. There was a load of construction going on in the area.

It's right by the theatre district. You MUST go to the pizza plaze Pizzarustica on Blue Jays Way & Wellington (right next to Gretskys and oposite Healy's)

If I could live downtown this is where I'd want to be.
Old Jan 2nd 2008, 12:49 pm
Assimilated Pauper

Originally Posted by Bill_S
Marriott employees are generally very well trained and will almost always try take care of problems.
So long as you fit the profile. It was the Toronto Marriott that refused my friend a room because he's not the same colour as his wife. Having met them at reception I stood there gobsmacked when they couldn't check in.
Old Jan 2nd 2008, 12:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

YYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond repute

So long as you fit the profile. It was the Toronto Marriott that refused my friend a room because he's not the same colour as his wife. Having met them at reception I stood there gobsmacked when they couldn't check in.

You have got to be kidding me.
Old Jan 2nd 2008, 1:13 pm
Truro NS

wbexpat has a reputation beyond reputewbexpat has a reputation beyond reputewbexpat has a reputation beyond reputewbexpat has a reputation beyond reputewbexpat has a reputation beyond reputewbexpat has a reputation beyond reputewbexpat has a reputation beyond reputewbexpat has a reputation beyond reputewbexpat has a reputation beyond reputewbexpat has a reputation beyond reputewbexpat has a reputation beyond repute

This is perfectly adequate. I stayed there for five days on a business trip in winter and it was fine. Not the Ritz by any means but you're right downtown and it (was) about 80 bucks a night. Compare this to $200+ for the Holiday Inn.

Travelodge Toronto Downtown West
621 King St West
at Bathurst Street
Toronto, ON, M5V 1M5 CA

Speaking of the Holiday Inn, its adequate too. Little gym, bar, swimming pool, sauna etc. Right downtown but quiet rooms.

I do recommend staying downtown if you can. The trams go everywhere. the tube is right there and pretty good. go wherever you want for flat fee 2.75.

Other posters are right. "Limo" = Lincoln Town Car so no its not a RR Phantom stretch but it does the job. The regular cabs can be a bit nasty if Im honest. $50 flat rate. The bus is perfectly good at $18 but takes a lot longer - too long if it's been a long trip and you're looking for your crib.

Trips to Niagara - every hotel lobby will have flyers.

hope that helps.
Old Jan 2nd 2008, 1:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by wbexpat
This is perfectly adequate. I stayed there for five days on a business trip in winter and it was fine. Not the Ritz by any means but you're right downtown and it (was) about 80 bucks a night. Compare this to $200+ for the Holiday Inn.

621 King St West
at Bathurst Street
Toronto, ON, M5V 1M5 CA

Just pulled it up for a stay of a month. The Marriott came up cheaper as the rate changed on day 7 and dropped with $40 per night. Travelodge is almost at the same as marriott for single occupancy.
Old Jan 2nd 2008, 8:50 pm

Originally Posted by wbexpat

621 King St West
at Bathurst Street
Toronto, ON, M5V 1M5 CA

Speaking of the Holiday Inn, its adequate too. Little gym, bar, swimming pool, sauna etc. Right downtown but quiet rooms.

I do recommend staying downtown if you can. The trams go everywhere. the tube is right there and pretty good. go wherever you want for flat fee 2.75.

Other posters are right. "Limo" = Lincoln Town Car so no its not a RR Phantom stretch but it does the job. The regular cabs can be a bit nasty if Im honest. $50 flat rate. The bus is perfectly good at $18 but takes a lot longer - too long if it's been a long trip and you're looking for your crib.

Trips to Niagara - every hotel lobby will have flyers.

hope that helps.
Yes that is helpful thank you - however in June it costs $279 per night for a 1 bed suite so I'd be interested if the prices change that dramatically from the winter!!
Old Jan 2nd 2008, 8:51 pm

Well that's just blinking disgraceful
Old Jan 2nd 2008, 11:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

Yes that is helpful thank you - however in June it costs $279 per night for a 1 bed suite so I'd be interested if the prices change that dramatically from the winter!!
Wait until they start looking at flights. They have a tendency to triple during the summer.

Blame school holidays for that.
Old Jan 3rd 2008, 12:22 am
Assimilated Pauper

Originally Posted by YYZlover

You have got to be kidding me.
No. I don't think it's corporate policy, just a local foible.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.