Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Hotel around Calgary/Edmonton for Recce

Hotel around Calgary/Edmonton for Recce

Old Feb 16th 2009, 7:07 pm
Future Albertan

Kaye. has a reputation beyond reputeKaye. has a reputation beyond reputeKaye. has a reputation beyond reputeKaye. has a reputation beyond reputeKaye. has a reputation beyond reputeKaye. has a reputation beyond reputeKaye. has a reputation beyond reputeKaye. has a reputation beyond reputeKaye. has a reputation beyond reputeKaye. has a reputation beyond reputeKaye. has a reputation beyond repute
Default Hotel around Calgary for Recce

To those who have been on a recce to Calgary, where did you stay and what did you think of the accommodation?

Starting to look into booking our recce and need some help please!

Last edited by Kaye.; Feb 16th 2009 at 7:26 pm.
Old Feb 16th 2009, 9:20 pm
Forum Regular

Parris is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Hotel around Calgary for Recce

Originally Posted by Kaye.
To those who have been on a recce to Calgary, where did you stay and what did you think of the accommodation?

Stayed at the Sandman hotel in Calgary was basic but clean. Near the C-Train if you are not hiring a car and has it's own under ground car park (which you have to pay for) if you are getting a car. Was local to food shopping etc.
Old Feb 16th 2009, 10:11 pm
Forum Regular

Bainesy36 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Parris
Stayed at the Sandman hotel in Calgary was basic but clean. Near the C-Train if you are not hiring a car and has it's own under ground car park (which you have to pay for) if you are getting a car. Was local to food shopping etc.
As above and our feelings were the same too. Booked as a package through Canadian Affair and for the price and it's location, couldn't argue with it. Food was also good in both bars.
Old Feb 16th 2009, 10:57 pm
Moved from Chester UK

IckleHelen is just really niceIckleHelen is just really niceIckleHelen is just really niceIckleHelen is just really niceIckleHelen is just really niceIckleHelen is just really niceIckleHelen is just really niceIckleHelen is just really niceIckleHelen is just really niceIckleHelen is just really nice
Default Re: Hotel around Calgary/Edmonton for Recce

We've stayed in the 5 Calgary Downtown Suites three times now. Again handy for the C train, though parking is a bit expensive in my opinion (due to it being downtown). The suites are self contained units which have a kitchen (some with lounges and dining areas, others more like bedsits), though it is a proper hotel with a bar and restaurant. The price per night is quite reasonable, we booked it the first time because it was one of the cheaper options that came up on Expedia.
Old Feb 16th 2009, 11:48 pm

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute

We have stayed in the Westin, The Marriot and the International, in Calgay, all handy for the C Train and the Old Spaghetti Factory
Old Feb 17th 2009, 12:52 am
Happy Bunnies

Flossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond repute

If you want to drive around when you are in Calgary, any of the hotels in "motel village" just NW of the city centre are good value. They are right by the Banff Trail C-Train stop but also have free parking. Off the top of my head I think there is a travelodge, ramada limited, howard johnson, days inn and a few others. Quite a few restaurants round the back of them too.

I don't think this list is exhaustive but there's a map for you to get your bearings:
http://maps.google.ca/maps?oe=utf-8&...e-results&cd=1
Old Feb 17th 2009, 8:17 am
Future Albertan

Kaye. has a reputation beyond reputeKaye. has a reputation beyond reputeKaye. has a reputation beyond reputeKaye. has a reputation beyond reputeKaye. has a reputation beyond reputeKaye. has a reputation beyond reputeKaye. has a reputation beyond reputeKaye. has a reputation beyond reputeKaye. has a reputation beyond reputeKaye. has a reputation beyond reputeKaye. has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks very much for the help and recommendations.

Just going to look on Expedia.

And thanks for the info about Motel Village Flossie and Jim - didn't know that existed.

Cheers!
Old Feb 17th 2009, 11:49 am
Just Joined

purdie is an unknown quantity at this point

I have been going to Calgary for the last ten years.And every time I go I stay at the Sandman on 7th Av. Cheap and chearfull. Cant go go wrong, everything is on your door. I stay there a couple of days then head to the mountains.
Old Feb 17th 2009, 2:25 pm
Future Albertan

Originally Posted by purdie
I have been going to Calgary for the last ten years.And every time I go I stay at the Sandman on 7th Av. Cheap and chearfull. Cant go go wrong, everything is on your door. I stay there a couple of days then head to the mountains.
Thanks for that, I'll definitely look into that...
cheers!
Old Feb 17th 2009, 3:47 pm
Just Joined

Leitchie is an unknown quantity at this point

hello, when we first came over from Scotland we stayed at a B and B in De Winton which was great as we have 2 young kids and a dog, great family and 3 huge bedrooms and a living room ,only short drive to Calgary but we were looking at the Okotoks area which is where we are now living, great place you should check it out when you come over.
Old Feb 18th 2009, 1:41 am

Cassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond repute

We stayed at http://www.wingatebywyndhamcalgary.com/

We wanted to be out of the city and experiencing life where we would have been living.

It is near to the Shawnessy LRT line and they have an Avis car hire place there but I would advise you to book ahead.

Its on one of the main roads in and out of the city so you can experience the drive in.

The hotel was spot on
Old Feb 18th 2009, 9:48 am
Future Albertan

Originally Posted by Cassie 10000
We stayed at http://www.wingatebywyndhamcalgary.com/

We wanted to be out of the city and experiencing life where we would have been living.

It is near to the Shawnessy LRT line and they have an Avis car hire place there but I would advise you to book ahead.

Its on one of the main roads in and out of the city so you can experience the drive in.

The hotel was spot on
I'm 23 and hubbys 24... so can't hire a car
Old Feb 18th 2009, 2:05 pm

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute

You will seriously need to have a car if your planning on doing what your doing. Failing that then start looking at companies that do bus tours - Brewsters spring to mind for the rockies and the Red Arrow goes from Calgary (maybe even Lethbridge) upto Fort McMurray. Can you not pay a higher premium for a car?
Old Feb 18th 2009, 3:26 pm

Cassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond repute

Are you sure you can't hire a car? Who have you tried?
Old Feb 18th 2009, 4:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

Linda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond repute

I think you can hire.....it just costs you more if under 25!

Linda

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.