Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Hoping to join the exodus

Hoping to join the exodus

Old Nov 13th 2004, 5:45 pm
  #1  
Go placidly.....
Thread Starter
 
Troublesome's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2004
Location: Alberta
Posts: 29
Troublesome is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Hoping to join the exodus

Hi

Found hope and inspiration from the posts from others in the UK who are also waiting for PRs. Only got my AOR in July 04, CIC thingammy is staying stubbornly at 'In Progress' and by the looks of it is going to stay there for ages! Oh well, damp grey winter, here I come!

I'm planning on going back to Canada for three weeks next year to tour around BC looking for the best place to settle down. What's Kelowna like? Is there much going on in Prince George, obviously I'm not looking for Ibiza I was thinking more kind of size of the place, jobs etc?

Hope someone can advise.
Claire
Troublesome is offline  
Old Nov 13th 2004, 5:55 pm
  #2  
Loving it here!
 
ClareBC's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2003
Location: Vancouver, BC
Posts: 1,198
ClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Hoping to join the exodus

Originally Posted by Troublesome
Hi

Found hope and inspiration from the posts from others in the UK who are also waiting for PRs. Only got my AOR in July 04, CIC thingammy is staying stubbornly at 'In Progress' and by the looks of it is going to stay there for ages! Oh well, damp grey winter, here I come!

I'm planning on going back to Canada for three weeks next year to tour around BC looking for the best place to settle down. What's Kelowna like? Is there much going on in Prince George, obviously I'm not looking for Ibiza I was thinking more kind of size of the place, jobs etc?

Hope someone can advise.
Claire
Oh, Higgy was recnetly looking at info Kelowna, and I think he has gleaned a lot of info - do a search on the name of the city and see what comes up!

Prince George well it has the new University of Northern BC (think of a university that serves an area half the size of France, but without the population!!), and has a (currently) thriving forest industry. It does get cold there (currently vancouver is +10 and Prince George is -2). Will you be visiting the area?

TTFN

Clare
ClareBC is offline  
Old Nov 13th 2004, 6:38 pm
  #3  
Forum Regular
 
mikejw's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2004
Location: Fall river,Nova Scotia
Posts: 284
mikejw is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Hoping to join the exodus

Hi troublesome
don't expect the 'in progess' to change to 'Decision made' until after you have your visa in your hand.
Mike
mikejw is offline  
Old Nov 13th 2004, 6:53 pm
  #4  
Forum Regular
 
Higgy's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2004
Location: Maple Ridge BC
Posts: 123
Higgy is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Hoping to join the exodus

Originally Posted by ClareBC
Oh, Higgy was recnetly looking at info Kelowna, and I think he has gleaned a lot of info - do a search on the name of the city and see what comes up!

Prince George well it has the new University of Northern BC (think of a university that serves an area half the size of France, but without the population!!), and has a (currently) thriving forest industry. It does get cold there (currently vancouver is +10 and Prince George is -2). Will you be visiting the area?

TTFN

Clare



I got a job offer in Kelowna and am gathering the rest of my paperwork at the moment to get my application in. The more i look at the place the bettr i like it. It has a great weather cycle too as far as i can see and lots for outdoor and indoor folks to do. Im really looking forward to going there. I think i will be heading over in January for a look if i get the chance. Cant get a ticket during my fortnight off at Christmas
Higgy is offline  
Old Nov 13th 2004, 11:05 pm
  #5  
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Aug 2004
Location: Kelowna, BC
Posts: 116
love_it_here will become famous soon enoughlove_it_here will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Hoping to join the exodus

My husband and I live in Kelowna and would be happy to answer any questions you may have on the city.

Cheers

Georgina

Originally Posted by Troublesome
Hi

Found hope and inspiration from the posts from others in the UK who are also waiting for PRs. Only got my AOR in July 04, CIC thingammy is staying stubbornly at 'In Progress' and by the looks of it is going to stay there for ages! Oh well, damp grey winter, here I come!

I'm planning on going back to Canada for three weeks next year to tour around BC looking for the best place to settle down. What's Kelowna like? Is there much going on in Prince George, obviously I'm not looking for Ibiza I was thinking more kind of size of the place, jobs etc?

Hope someone can advise.
Claire
love_it_here is offline  
Old Nov 14th 2004, 12:27 am
  #6  
Glasgow Rangers
 
Voyager970's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2004
Location: London, Ontario
Posts: 1,543
Voyager970 has a reputation beyond reputeVoyager970 has a reputation beyond reputeVoyager970 has a reputation beyond reputeVoyager970 has a reputation beyond reputeVoyager970 has a reputation beyond reputeVoyager970 has a reputation beyond reputeVoyager970 has a reputation beyond reputeVoyager970 has a reputation beyond reputeVoyager970 has a reputation beyond reputeVoyager970 has a reputation beyond reputeVoyager970 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Hoping to join the exodus

Claire

My family and I will be heading to BC as well. We are hopefully going to settle for the Maple Ridge area.
My wife has relatives in Port Coquitlam, so this is near enough, and yet far enough away, so as not to tread on their toes too much.

Keep looking in on this forum as you will gain invaluable info from the guys and dolls in here.

Eddie
Voyager970 is offline  
Old Nov 14th 2004, 10:43 pm
  #7  
Go placidly.....
Thread Starter
 
Troublesome's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2004
Location: Alberta
Posts: 29
Troublesome is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Hoping to join the exodus

Originally Posted by Voyager970
Claire

My family and I will be heading to BC as well. We are hopefully going to settle for the Maple Ridge area.
My wife has relatives in Port Coquitlam, so this is near enough, and yet far enough away, so as not to tread on their toes too much.

Keep looking in on this forum as you will gain invaluable info from the guys and dolls in here.

Eddie

Hey

Thanks to everyone for your replies! I've had a smurf and found lots of stuff on Kelowna and Prince George, I'm a healthcare manager/project manager now. Was a health psychologist. Not sure if I'll find work in either with any of those skills though! But hey I can network....and I'm not proud I'll go cleaning or do Indian head massage or something. Anything to keep body and soul together

Thanks again
C
Troublesome is offline  
Old Nov 14th 2004, 10:47 pm
  #8  
Go placidly.....
Thread Starter
 
Troublesome's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2004
Location: Alberta
Posts: 29
Troublesome is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Hoping to join the exodus

Originally Posted by ClareBC
Oh, Higgy was recnetly looking at info Kelowna, and I think he has gleaned a lot of info - do a search on the name of the city and see what comes up!

Prince George well it has the new University of Northern BC (think of a university that serves an area half the size of France, but without the population!!), and has a (currently) thriving forest industry. It does get cold there (currently vancouver is +10 and Prince George is -2). Will you be visiting the area?

TTFN

Clare
Thanks Clare I'll look out for him/her.
Claire
Troublesome is offline  
Old Nov 15th 2004, 5:40 am
  #9  
BE Enthusiast
 
NessieOggy's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2004
Location: Kelowna, BC
Posts: 903
NessieOggy has a reputation beyond reputeNessieOggy has a reputation beyond reputeNessieOggy has a reputation beyond reputeNessieOggy has a reputation beyond reputeNessieOggy has a reputation beyond reputeNessieOggy has a reputation beyond reputeNessieOggy has a reputation beyond reputeNessieOggy has a reputation beyond reputeNessieOggy has a reputation beyond reputeNessieOggy has a reputation beyond reputeNessieOggy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Hoping to join the exodus

Hi Troublesome

Kelowna is my hometown, so you're welcome to drop a line if you have any questions. If you take a look at my profile, there are some past Kelowna threads listed that may be of help to you.

Cheers!

Oggy
NessieOggy is offline  
Old Nov 15th 2004, 12:09 pm
  #10  
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Oct 2004
Location: Kelowna BC
Posts: 63
ABL25 will become famous soon enoughABL25 will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Hoping to join the exodus

Originally Posted by Troublesome
Hey

Thanks to everyone for your replies! I've had a smurf and found lots of stuff on Kelowna and Prince George, I'm a healthcare manager/project manager now. Was a health psychologist. Not sure if I'll find work in either with any of those skills though! But hey I can network....and I'm not proud I'll go cleaning or do Indian head massage or something. Anything to keep body and soul together

Thanks again
C
Hi Troublesome,
small world isn't it. We have just applied for PRP but have decided to move out to Kelowna next July. My wife is going to study for the 2 years waiting for PRP, so I'll get a work permit until we get the PRP.

The reason I'm writing is that my wife is also a Healthcare Manager in the NHS. (You didn't apply for a job in Vancouver recently did you?? - my wife did and was told that another NHS manager had also applied with similar qualifications).

Regards
Alex
ABL25 is offline  
Old Nov 16th 2004, 6:27 pm
  #11  
Go placidly.....
Thread Starter
 
Troublesome's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2004
Location: Alberta
Posts: 29
Troublesome is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Hoping to join the exodus

Originally Posted by ABL25
Hi Troublesome,
small world isn't it. We have just applied for PRP but have decided to move out to Kelowna next July. My wife is going to study for the 2 years waiting for PRP, so I'll get a work permit until we get the PRP.

The reason I'm writing is that my wife is also a Healthcare Manager in the NHS. (You didn't apply for a job in Vancouver recently did you?? - my wife did and was told that another NHS manager had also applied with similar qualifications).

Regards
Alex
Alex

What is that you do? Is it that easy to get a work permit? I thought jobs were really difficult to get from over here? I'd appreciate your thoughts, because maybe I'm way out here...As for the job in Vancouver...no that wasn't me I'm a Director of IT which is a pretty specialist area although I also do commissioning. What about your wife? I think Vancouver is too urban for my liking ( I live on Dartmoor now), so I'm hoping to get something else in Kelowna or Prince George, trouble is the hospitals there are pretty small. So I'm looking at health authorities. I'd like to stay with what I do, but hey I'll do anything (almost).
Regards
Claire
Troublesome is offline  
Old Nov 16th 2004, 8:47 pm
  #12  
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Oct 2004
Location: Kelowna BC
Posts: 63
ABL25 will become famous soon enoughABL25 will become famous soon enough
Smile Re: Hoping to join the exodus

Originally Posted by Troublesome
Alex

What is that you do? Is it that easy to get a work permit? I thought jobs were really difficult to get from over here? I'd appreciate your thoughts, because maybe I'm way out here...As for the job in Vancouver...no that wasn't me I'm a Director of IT which is a pretty specialist area although I also do commissioning. What about your wife? I think Vancouver is too urban for my liking ( I live on Dartmoor now), so I'm hoping to get something else in Kelowna or Prince George, trouble is the hospitals there are pretty small. So I'm looking at health authorities. I'd like to stay with what I do, but hey I'll do anything (almost).
Regards
Claire
Hi Claire,
You can get a work permit whilst waiting for the PRP, BUT you have to send your partner back to college/uni until the PRP comes through. we decided that it was worth paying the international student rates to get out there earlier.

My wife was looking at hospitals & health authorities for something in Quality/Governance etc, but has now decided that she likes the idea of studying for a few years instead, whilst I go out to work!!. (I don't mind really, as I've just finished 6 years with the Open University and don't want to study for a while!!)

nb. apparently, it is very difficult to get a job whilst still in the UK and without a work permit, but I hope you get lucky in your search.

Regards
Alex
ABL25 is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.