Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Honesty is the best policy

Honesty is the best policy

Old Feb 28th 2012, 5:45 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Honesty is the best policy

We also have the we have been here that long group that we have got past caring where can we get a decent curry, where can I get bags of Walkers crisps and a decent pint etc etc.
Most of us have no intention on moving back to the UK in most cases as we have settled here and have given up on the comparisons between the UK and here.
We moved for the same reasons you are doing now except that 20 years ago things were different. We overcame all the situations that you still face today such as leaving friends and family behind. Some of us felt like chucking in the towel but persevered others didnt.
You can listen to our words of wisdom hidden in the sarcastic replies or make your own decisions like we had to as BE was not around 20 plus years ago.
Old Feb 28th 2012, 6:28 pm
Forum Regular

bigals is just really nicebigals is just really nicebigals is just really nicebigals is just really nicebigals is just really nicebigals is just really nicebigals is just really nicebigals is just really nicebigals is just really nicebigals is just really nicebigals is just really nice

Thanks for the replies,now the initial beat me up posters have subsided it is an interesting read for me,
I know that people wanting to come here will bash the country they want to leave and i also understand those that it did not work out for will bash this country ,,I am not bashing this country it is a great place and will work for some I did as much homework as i could find at the time and was given some good info but was also given some out and out lies,and how deep do you go ,,,,i was happily married so why would i look into divorce here??? (wish i had though holy crap got cleaned out )
Old Feb 28th 2012, 7:57 pm
Forum Regular

An_Idiot_Abroad is just really niceAn_Idiot_Abroad is just really niceAn_Idiot_Abroad is just really niceAn_Idiot_Abroad is just really niceAn_Idiot_Abroad is just really niceAn_Idiot_Abroad is just really niceAn_Idiot_Abroad is just really niceAn_Idiot_Abroad is just really nice

Originally Posted by dbd33
We see this from time to time but I don't think it's supportable. It seems to me to be at least as likely that British immigrants who don't post here are unable to afford access to the internet, live in parts of Canada where there is no internet or have given up on Canada and on life and done away with themselves.
Well personally I know around 10 people who have recently moved here, and plenty of other expats that I've met since I've moved (I'd say around 20) and none of them post on here, and they're all happy...
Old Feb 28th 2012, 8:06 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Toleero84
Well personally I know around 10 people who have recently moved here, and plenty of other expats that I've met since I've moved (I'd say around 20) and none of them post on here, and they're all happy...
Maybe thats why
Old Feb 28th 2012, 8:09 pm
Part Time Poster

MikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond repute

The vast majority of the Brits that I've met in canada have no idea this site exists..
Old Feb 28th 2012, 8:12 pm
Forum Regular

bigals is just really nicebigals is just really nicebigals is just really nicebigals is just really nicebigals is just really nicebigals is just really nicebigals is just really nicebigals is just really nicebigals is just really nicebigals is just really nicebigals is just really nice

Originally Posted by MikeUK
The vast majority of the Brits that I've met in canada have no idea this site exists..
it took me 11 years to realize the site was here
Old Feb 28th 2012, 8:25 pm
Forum Regular

An_Idiot_Abroad is just really niceAn_Idiot_Abroad is just really niceAn_Idiot_Abroad is just really niceAn_Idiot_Abroad is just really niceAn_Idiot_Abroad is just really niceAn_Idiot_Abroad is just really niceAn_Idiot_Abroad is just really niceAn_Idiot_Abroad is just really nice

Originally Posted by dbd33
We see this from time to time but I don't think it's supportable. It seems to me to be at least as likely that British immigrants who don't post here are unable to afford access to the internet, live in parts of Canada where there is no internet or have given up on Canada and on life and done away with themselves.
Originally Posted by iaink
Maybe thats why
Old Feb 28th 2012, 8:35 pm
Forum Regular

so you know none that are unhappy????
Old Feb 28th 2012, 10:03 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bigals
Thanks for the replies,now the initial beat me up posters have subsided it is an interesting read for me,
I know that people wanting to come here will bash the country they want to leave and i also understand those that it did not work out for will bash this country ,,I am not bashing this country it is a great place and will work for some I did as much homework as i could find at the time and was given some good info but was also given some out and out lies,and how deep do you go ,,,,i was happily married so why would i look into divorce here??? (wish i had though holy crap got cleaned out )
Left Britain, don't see a need to bash anywhere. Where I am suits me and that's it.

I knew one family that quit after a few months, one guy that seems to get pleasure from moaning about Canada, Canadians who are unhappy, Brits who are unhappy, there are miserable people everywhere.

You look into it as deep as you need to. Whether qualifications are valid or not, is easy to find out. For me I just dropped into Transport Canada office and got the skinny. Today it is easier than ever with web access. Determining the credible sources of information is essential. Back in the day, I had to pound the pavement, get brochures, ask questions. Must have done a dozen research ventures in Canada before moving here trying to figure out if I wanted to work here and live here.
Old Feb 28th 2012, 11:17 pm
The ride never ends

orly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond repute

I think it depends a lot on your situation in the UK and, to an extent, where you lived in the UK too.

Generally there are "better" and "worse" parts of the UK.

My own situation is that I have relatives in the Greater Toronto Area who we've always kept in touch with and visited back and forth regularly. They went in the 60's and don't give BS answers. They said when they went things were simpler (like the Canadian government essentially paying people to go) but it was a hard life to start with as you are away from what you're used to, family are far away, you aren't familiar with the customs and culture even though it shares a fair amount with European/UK "ways". They don't regret it though and have done well for themselves. They appear to enjoy, on the whole, a superior quality of life.

I've now got a canadian fiancé and have lived in Canada myself for a year in the Ottawa area and I've seen first hand how the people are, how the economy and jobs market seems to be. I'm from Northern Ireland which, frankly, is dying on it's feet. Our neighbours to the south are crippled from their Euro folly and the NI economy has always been on "The Public Sector Life Support System" which is now being switched off. The young and the bright are heading for the exits. Compared to here, Canada was like a paradise.

It does help that I love ice hockey, ice skating, snow (haha). Comes in handy for the 5 or 6 months of the year where it's harsh and cold. Comparable jobs seem to be slightly better paid and the indirect taxation on your money seems to be a bit lower. Rents, cars, food all seems roughly the same when you add it all up.

Jobs market in Canada seemed FAR superior to here. I was able to get a job (low paying due to my temporary status) within 2 weeks of arriving. When I returned home to N. Ireland it took me over 2 months to get a 20hr week contract working in a shop and I'm not exactly short on qualifications (IT degree and a teaching qualification to boot).

I fully expect to go out there and work lower end jobs for a few years while doing yet more qualifications in the canadian system. I don't think anyone should go out expecting to just walk into an excellent highly paid job (but happy days for anyone who does manage it)

Fact is my relatives, and their Canadian born descendents are delighted with their lot in life. They appreciate the opportunities afforded to them in Canada and are rightly proud of their country. That is what matters.
Old Feb 28th 2012, 11:57 pm

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute

I think people on here usually post their own experiences, what one person experiences in Ontario may be a completely different experience to someone in Alberta and even more different to someone in BC etc

My OH is a vehicle mechanic, he challenged the exam, passed and is employed, he has three offers on the table for other jobs, when he is ready to move on and has had those three offers persistently offered every few months for the last 3 or 4 years.
Old Feb 29th 2012, 12:04 am
BE Forum Addict

London Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bigals
Yes i agree this is the best place to get the facts....my argument is not with this site ,,its with the picture painted by the Government of how good things are here
Really? I don't think anyone's painting this picture in Ontario. Even McGuinty has had to face up to face up to this after the elections ...
Old Feb 29th 2012, 12:21 am
Dive Bar Drunk

JamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by London Mike
Really? I don't think anyone's painting this picture in Ontario. Even McGuinty has had to face up to face up to this after the elections ...
I agree. Ontario is also no longer the desirable destination for immigrants. It's Alberta and BC now.

This place has gone to the dogs.

I was in BankNote on King & Bathurst earlier having lunch and they charged me for two cokes. No longer free refills
Old Feb 29th 2012, 12:28 am
Nuther day in paradise.ca

magnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JamesM
hey charged me for two cokes. No longer free refills
Two cokes, thats very not like you
Old Feb 29th 2012, 12:29 am
BE Forum Addict

London Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JamesM
I agree. Ontario is also no longer the desirable destination for immigrants. It's Alberta and BC now.

This place has gone to the dogs.

I was in BankNote on King & Bathurst earlier having lunch and they charged me for two cokes. No longer free refills
Are you sick James?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.