Homesickness

Old Jun 9th 2006, 10:13 pm

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Homesickness

Originally Posted by Butch Cassidy
Yeah
I'm totally serious.
The lack of sun for the last 36 hours. The fact that I still havent found a job I WANT to do. The fact the TV is crap.
I need a fix of English Chippy Stodge.
I am very sorry to hear you are feeling this way Butch and I hope you get over it very soon.

I can't offer much help for the first three items on your list, I truly wish I could but life being what it is I'm afraid I can't.

On the fish 'n chip front though have you tried either of these two places.

Lord Fins at 4105 - 4st. NW
Or
Mudder's & Faudder's Restaurant & Bar 101-5421 11 Street NE, (Thats Mothers & Father's in Newf.)
Unfortunately I can't offer any recommendations as fish 'n chips have been off my menu for about ten years now. But I'm sure either one can do stodge with the best of them.

Cheers
Steve

Last edited by Hangman; Jun 9th 2006 at 10:25 pm. Reason: To correct address for Mudder's
Old Jun 9th 2006, 10:13 pm
Banned

Butch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Morwenna

Hey it's sunny in my back yard right now! We're moving into our new place on Monday, you can come and help build our basement!

I'm taking No 1 son to Calaway in a few, so I hope it stays a bit dry for them this weekend. They are alternating between getting sunburned and going rusty!

The not-having-a-job thing is a BIG deal you know .... you are post-Glaswegian, but anyone who remembers him will remember how EVERYTHING in Calgary was wrong til he landed a job that was exactly what he wanted. It really does colour things. He was going to move to GTA, he was going to go back to UK .... then suddenly he was happy as Larry (Y'know?,,,,that really happy guy!! ).

Things'll work out. I'll get Al to give you a call and you can join him in his solitary watches of soccer (ok football) on our big telly eh?
Send me some Sun!!!!!
See I knew I shouldnt have let her talk me into living down here

We have a completion date for tuscany though (July 28th)

Yeah getting outta the house and working will make all the diff!!!

You heard from the searles?
Old Jun 9th 2006, 10:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

Ruby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond repute

BUT I am NOT intending to leave this place!!!!
Well that's alright then isn't it
C'mon, give yourself a wake up, it's Friday too....good excuse to have a few beers tonight
Old Jun 9th 2006, 10:16 pm
Banned

Butch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hangman
I am very sorry to hear you are feeling this way Butch and I hope you get over it very soon.

I can't offer much help for the first three items on your list, I truly wish I could but life being what it is I'm afraid I can't.

Or
Mudders Fish & Chips 3505 - 17ave SW (Thats Mothers in Newf.)
"The bright, and lively Mudders restaurant seats about 60 and swears that they make the best fish and chips west of Newfoundland."

Unfortunately I can't offer any recommendations as fish 'n chips have been off my menu for about ten years now. But I'm sure either one can do stodge with the best of them.

Cheers
Steve

Cheers Steve,

I may just be visiting one of those this wekend

Old Jun 9th 2006, 10:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

Ruby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hangman

Or
Mudders Fish & Chips 3505 - 17ave SW (Thats Mothers in Newf.)
"The bright, and lively Mudders restaurant seats about 60 and swears that they make the best fish and chips west of Newfoundland."

Cheers
Steve
Hi Steve!.....You wouldn't happen to recommend a very good Indian restaurant in Calgary too would you? To satisfy my curry-craving-fix
Old Jun 9th 2006, 10:26 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by alberta_jaycee
Hi Steve!.....You wouldn't happen to recommend a very good Indian restaurant in Calgary too would you? To satisfy my curry-craving-fix
Taj on Macleod OR Tandoori Hut in Kensington (apparently)
Old Jun 9th 2006, 10:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

Taj on Macleod OR Tandoori Hut in Kensington (apparently)
Are these your recommendations from own experience? You've eaten at these places? If so, then I think I know where hubby and I are eating tomorrow night (it's our 18th anniversary)
Old Jun 9th 2006, 10:31 pm
Banned

Are these your recommendations from own experience? You've eaten at these places? If so, then I think I know where hubby and I are eating tomorrow night (it's our 18th anniversary)
Actually no.
BUT they were recommended by an east indian so....................
Old Jun 9th 2006, 10:33 pm
Happily hungover

1066 has a reputation beyond repute1066 has a reputation beyond repute1066 has a reputation beyond repute1066 has a reputation beyond repute1066 has a reputation beyond repute1066 has a reputation beyond repute1066 has a reputation beyond repute1066 has a reputation beyond repute1066 has a reputation beyond repute1066 has a reputation beyond repute1066 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bleech
How long did it take you to get homesick? If at all!
Just wondering as we've been here 3 months now and not had one ounce of homesickness yet Early days though I know.
Does it just hit you one day? Or is it a gradual buildup?
I lived in South Africa for 22 years, and never suffered one single day of homesickness. I guess some folks suffer more than others, but if you immerse yourself into your new life, there is no room for homesickness.

If you want to be homesick, you will be. If you accept your new lifestyle, and make every effort to fit in, then it shouldn't affect you at all.
Old Jun 9th 2006, 10:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

Actually no.
BUT they were recommended by an east indian so....................
Cheers my man.....can feel my taste buds perking up already
Are you feeling any better yet? You need to get out somewhere different this weekend.....staying at home too long can give you that cabin-fever feeling
Old Jun 9th 2006, 10:35 pm
Forum Regular

Canada Bob has a brilliant futureCanada Bob has a brilliant futureCanada Bob has a brilliant futureCanada Bob has a brilliant futureCanada Bob has a brilliant futureCanada Bob has a brilliant futureCanada Bob has a brilliant futureCanada Bob has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by AnnetteM
It took me 30 years! And now, having been here that long, I'd go back in an instant. But won't leave my kids and grandchildren.
Hello Annette...

I can relate to what you say, we lived in Canada for 24 years, but in the last 5 years we have spent almost equal amounts of time between the UK and Canada. The way I see it is, any ex pat {no matter where they came from} will have some "romantic" attachment to their homeland, but don't get that mixed up with the "reality" of the situation. If I knew a better country to live in than Canada I'd be on my way there now.

If things hadn't changed in the UK then "maybe" I'd consider staying here, but day after day the news is the same here, stabbings, shootings and the like. If you've been away for 30 years coming back is likely to be a bit of a shock, it aint what it used to be here, and those who can get out are doing their best to jump ship...

Stay where you are Annette, the days when we "never had it so good" are long gone...

All the Best,

Canada Bob.
Old Jun 9th 2006, 10:35 pm
Banned

Cheers my man.....can feel my taste buds perking up already
Are you feeling any better yet? You need to get out somewhere different this weekend.....staying at home too long can give you that cabin-fever feeling
That is probably it
Old Jun 9th 2006, 10:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

SANDRAPAUL is just really niceSANDRAPAUL is just really niceSANDRAPAUL is just really niceSANDRAPAUL is just really niceSANDRAPAUL is just really niceSANDRAPAUL is just really niceSANDRAPAUL is just really niceSANDRAPAUL is just really nice

Just as this jumped out at me and if anyone back in the UK, or anywhere else is reading these are my thoughts. But before I go on my wife, 3 teenage children would NEVER go back AT THIS MOMENT IN TIME, you will need to view it from a moment as this changes. But I do not see this return ever occuring.

Now onto me. My private thoughts. I have self analyased as I always have. I have gone through what could be construed as homesickness. In fact it is not. I spent 2 and a half years in constant anguish, and much more before that contemplating this move. I have come to realise that to be able to turn off that tap in an instant is not possible if you act as the anchor, the drive, and the reason why it has all happened, not to say that there was no choice, we all voted as a family in isolation before the move (democracy in the home at work) but I had to fulfil the drive to make it go through being the breadwinner. So in short what feelings I and perhaps others have are mixed with the same downscaling of fear, doubt, and wondering. I am just getting to settle in my own mind that I might, just might, be able to make this work. As far as the country is concerened I think they (Canadian's) on the whole are a lucky bunch at THIS moment in time. It might change. But I still believe I have given my children the CHOICE. And that choice is invaluable in a changing world.

(But all of this might be pure crap) (waits for my favourite people to jump on my response) (don't yer love it when someone has you as a target)
Old Jun 9th 2006, 11:57 pm
Lotus-eater

Rich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond repute

Homesickness - we've had little, been very focused on setting life up here, work kept Mrs.Rich busy, the turmoils of a brief life of loung lizarding didn't do me too much good but all worked out remarkably well so far. Can't say we miss anything about (Y)UK apart from friends and family, we use all sorts of remarkable modern communication devices to stay in touch.

Guess deteriorating elderly relatives and what could would be upsetting challenges but such things will come to pass wherever in the world we live.

Anyhow, chilled outdoor gigs, 34 degrees of nice dry heat, ass-grabbing and sweet Alberda cowgirls focuses the mind somewhat on the local delights.

Rich.
Old Jun 10th 2006, 12:02 am
smokes, let's go

Tidge is just really niceTidge is just really niceTidge is just really niceTidge is just really niceTidge is just really niceTidge is just really niceTidge is just really niceTidge is just really niceTidge is just really niceTidge is just really niceTidge is just really nice

I only get upset if I think about the possibility of being sent back.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.