Wikiposts

Homesick kids

Old Sep 11th 2010, 3:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: Was: Cullicudden, Scotland. Now: Hammonds Plains, NS
Merry is a splendid one to beholdMerry is a splendid one to beholdMerry is a splendid one to beholdMerry is a splendid one to beholdMerry is a splendid one to beholdMerry is a splendid one to beholdMerry is a splendid one to beholdMerry is a splendid one to beholdMerry is a splendid one to beholdMerry is a splendid one to beholdMerry is a splendid one to behold
Default Homesick kids

Two of our three children are very homesick right now . We moved in Jan this year and so far we thought things were going very well. All the children seem to have settled well into school, made friends, etc. The nine year old wasn't initially keen to come over and probably has kept himself to himself more but he is certainly popular amongst his classmates. The twelve year old was eager to come and has made lots of friends, enjoyed summer camps and never - until this week - shown any signs of being unhappy. We never expected everything here to be perfect and our decisions are more long term ones than the children can be aware of but has anyone else experienced this? We just want to be able to help both children (fortunately no.3 hasn't picked up on any of this yet!) through this time. Both my parents and OH's mother have visited and I think part of this stems from the thought that they do not have a definite time when they will see them again although we have plenty of Skype calls, etc. Any ideas???
Old Sep 11th 2010, 4:08 pm
little snowy owl

Alberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Homesick kids

The grandparents visit may have upset them, but maybe cos it's the start of the school year too??

Perhaps once the semester gets going they will be busy more with their new friends and England will fade somewhat.
Old Sep 11th 2010, 4:12 pm

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute

I can't offer any real advice apart from keeping a close eye on the situation, last year was a particularly bad year for my daughter, who is now on a mild antidepressant, I strongly believe that one of the reason is because she was more homesick than I realised.
Old Sep 11th 2010, 5:05 pm
half a century

The4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond repute

Also you have just hit the 10 months reality time of oh this isnt a holiday its life! keep an eye on them - enroll them in lots of stuff - can you fix date for a friend or family member to visit or for you to visit uk - so they have something tangible?
Old Sep 12th 2010, 6:33 am
Forum Regular

sheera67 has a brilliant futuresheera67 has a brilliant futuresheera67 has a brilliant futuresheera67 has a brilliant futuresheera67 has a brilliant futuresheera67 has a brilliant future

[QUOTE=Alberta_Rose;8842147]The grandparents visit may have upset them, but maybe cos it's the start of the school year too??

Perhaps once the semester gets going they will be busy more with their new friends and England will fade somewhat

Old Sep 12th 2010, 6:49 am
Forum Regular

hepburn has a brilliant futurehepburn has a brilliant futurehepburn has a brilliant futurehepburn has a brilliant futurehepburn has a brilliant futurehepburn has a brilliant futurehepburn has a brilliant future

Hi Merry,

I haven't been on here for a while, but we chatted a bit before we both moved out.

I notice that you are on Hammonds Plains, we are in Upper Tantallon, so very close!

My son (13) did have a wobbly time, he seemed to be settled and then after a couple of months wanted to go back. After a few chats with him, and encouraging him to attend a Youth Group, Soccer, and having his friends over for sleepovers etc, he seems to be settled again. It's hard for them, especially at this age. Keep talking and Im sure it will pass over again.

Lisa
Old Sep 12th 2010, 6:51 am

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

I'm getting confused. If moving to another country is all for the kids and they're not happy and missing their family and friends back in the UK, what's it all about?
Old Sep 12th 2010, 7:40 am
Okotoks AB

Ray7663 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Alberta_Rose
The grandparents visit may have upset them, but maybe cos it's the start of the school year too??

Perhaps once the semester gets going they will be busy more with their new friends and England will fade somewhat.
Alberta rose.
You should read posts fully before commenting. The worst thing since moving is all the English people assumeing your also English.
Old Sep 12th 2010, 8:16 am

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ray7663
Alberta rose.
You should read posts fully before commenting. The worst thing since moving is all the English people assumeing your also English.
Let me make wild guess, you're from Scotland? Welcome to the forum by the way.
Old Sep 12th 2010, 10:20 am
BE Enthusiast

Location: Was: Cullicudden, Scotland. Now: Hammonds Plains, NS
Merry is a splendid one to beholdMerry is a splendid one to beholdMerry is a splendid one to beholdMerry is a splendid one to beholdMerry is a splendid one to beholdMerry is a splendid one to beholdMerry is a splendid one to beholdMerry is a splendid one to beholdMerry is a splendid one to beholdMerry is a splendid one to beholdMerry is a splendid one to behold

Maybe that's the problem - maybe we should have moved to England

Thanks everyone for their input and your comments are all probably spot on. I'm reassured anyway that other children have been through this and we're not alone. I'm sure part of all this is triggered by going back to school and the realisation that they really are staying here now, it's not just all a great holiday. I'm sure the 12 year old will quite quickly get over it but the 9 year old I can see moving back to Scotland as soon as he's old enough although what he doesn't realise is that things will not be the same as when he left, but I think he'll not be happy until he sees that for himself.

Hi Lisa - you're not far away at all, we're in Kingswood. Good to hear from you again - thanks.
Old Sep 12th 2010, 10:34 am
Citizenship Nov 10 2016!!

nikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Merry

It is hard, I am sure our 7 yr old given the choice immediately would prob say he wanted to go back to the uk, but then he says he would miss the snow, we have been here 16 mths and to be honest its probably only since he has gone back to school this semester that he seems to be more settled,

It is easy as parent to underestimate the impact this can have on kids, but you are on top of it and aware, keep talking to your kids and like bells suggested, I think it has helped us this last year or so to have things in place re people visiting or things going on to help get them through the hard days.
Old Sep 12th 2010, 11:20 am
Forum Regular

hepburn has a brilliant futurehepburn has a brilliant futurehepburn has a brilliant futurehepburn has a brilliant futurehepburn has a brilliant futurehepburn has a brilliant futurehepburn has a brilliant future

We are having a little get-together on Saturday if you would like to come? Just pm me if you fancy it! :0) Nikki is coming.

I think by the time your 9 year old is old enough to make that decision he may realise he has good opportunities here. If he did decide to go back to Scotland at least he will have the choice to live here or there.
Old Sep 12th 2010, 11:41 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Oink
I'm getting confused. If moving to another country is all for the kids and they're not happy and missing their family and friends back in the UK, what's it all about?
Good question
Old Sep 12th 2010, 12:07 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ray7663
Alberta rose.
Yes, it's absolutely the worst possible thing that could happen. That alberta rose is a real piece of work. Giving friendly advice is one thing, but getting the OP's location wrong is beyond the pale - it's like wishing she had cancer or something.
Old Sep 12th 2010, 12:32 pm
Account Closed

fledermaus is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Alan2005
Yes, it's absolutely the worst possible thing that could happen. That alberta rose is a real piece of work. Giving friendly advice is one thing, but getting the OP's location wrong is beyond the pale - it's like wishing she had cancer or something.
I thought she was Welsh anyway.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.