British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Canada (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/)
-   -   Homesick (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/homesick-261984/)

Rhodes Oct 24th 2004 9:16 pm

Re: Homesick

Originally Posted by oceanMDX
Communist fences? What are you talking about?

I am talking about Glaswegian's fence.

http://britishexpats.com/photopost/s...cat=500&page=1

oceanMDX Oct 24th 2004 9:19 pm

Originally Posted by Rhodes
I am talking about Glaswegian's fence.

http://britishexpats.com/photopost/s...cat=500&page=1

That must be the perimeter of a park - they want to use something strong that will last and requires no maintainence.

Glaswegian Oct 24th 2004 10:03 pm

That must be the perimeter of a park - they want to use something strong that will last and requires no maintainence.

Building regs require them if you back onto a park in Calgary ... on the plus side it makes it easy to retrieve stray footballs, children, etc ... on the minus side it's about secure as a wet paper bag.

I always thought the only communist fence in north america was the US/Canada border ;)

oceanMDX Oct 24th 2004 11:13 pm

Originally Posted by Glaswegian
I always thought the only communist fence in north america was the US/Canada border ;)

Yes, and the Americans are re-enforcing it. Like the song... back.. back.. to the USSR....

Glaswegian Oct 25th 2004 12:18 am

Yes, and the Americans are re-enforcing it. Like the song... back.. back.. to the USSR....

The ancient Scots got the Romans to build a nice big wall ... it kept the English south of the border for years ... if we can get the yanks build one too, we can just brick up the doors on our side and keep them where they belong ....

SirTainly Oct 25th 2004 12:41 pm

The ancient Scots got the Romans to build a nice big wall ... it kept the English south of the border for years ... if we can get the yanks build one too, we can just brick up the doors on our side and keep them where they belong ....

Glas what's the railway track in the left of your fence photo?? Is it for the steam train in the other shot ?? most folks who have a garden railway don't do it 1 to 1 scale! :eek: ;)

Glaswegian Oct 25th 2004 12:56 pm

Originally Posted by SirTainly
Glas what's the railway track in the left of your fence photo?? Is it for the steam train in the other shot ?? most folks who have a garden railway don't do it 1 to 1 scale! :eek: ;)

That's our arbor ... I'm trying to persuade grape vines to survive the winter ... they're meant to be zone 3 hardy, but I think the blast of the chinook wind in our south facing garden dries them out ... everything above ground dies off ... same thing happens to the clematis.

hot wasabi peas Oct 25th 2004 1:30 pm

That's our arbor ... I'm trying to persuade grape vines to survive the winter ... they're meant to be zone 3 hardy, but I think the blast of the chinook wind in our south facing garden dries them out ... everything above ground dies off ... same thing happens to the clematis.

Yeah, it's probably the chinooks. A few things can't grow because of them. The warm air makes some plants think 'Hey, that's a nice warm breeze - it's spring! Let's bud out!' and they do and then the chinook's gone and I guess some plants in that budding out stage are vulerable to cold so they croak. Or sometimes it's the warmth that melts away the snow that was insulating the plant in the first place and once it's gone - another dead plant. Either way, it's why sugar maples don't grow there - I tried and tried :rolleyes:

oceanMDX Oct 25th 2004 2:05 pm

I don't see how grape vines could survive in Alberta. I would soak them with water so that they freeze in a block of ice, and cover them with lots of soil. The climate in the winter is too cold, plus they will dry out due to sublimation.

CDNReturner Oct 25th 2004 8:21 pm

Having just spent 1 1/2 hours on web-sites for Bell Canada and Sprint Canada, giving up and then spending another 1/2 hour on the telephone and still not understanding the true cost of everything I need (wireless, home phone and internet)....I miss England. What I have managed to figure out so far is going to cost me twice as much as it did in England!

Boy, the Canadians like to talk and talk and talk and talk BEFORE you actually get to speak to someone. I was screaming "shut up just let me speak to an operator!"

Voyager970 Oct 25th 2004 11:03 pm

My husband and I were at a party last night and had to scrap our windshield before we could drive........
I am sorry for being blonde guys

But what does this mean !!!!!!!!!!!

Scrap our windshield.

Windshield meaning windscreen on the car
the other bit, MMMMMMM do not have a clue !!!!!!!!!!

PLEASE EXPLAIN TO US MERE DAFTIES IN THE UK !!!!!!

Eddie :confused:

willmore Oct 25th 2004 11:07 pm

Originally Posted by Voyager970
My husband and I were at a party last night and had to scrap our windshield before we could drive........
I am sorry for being blonde guys

But what does this mean !!!!!!!!!!!

Scrap our windshield.

Windshield meaning windscreen on the car
the other bit, MMMMMMM do not have a clue !!!!!!!!!!

PLEASE EXPLAIN TO US MERE DAFTIES IN THE UK !!!!!!

Eddie :confused:

Since it was my message I will try to explain.....We live in Victoria......and it's unusual for it to get that cold that we get "black-ice" on our windshield of our car, so we had to get a scraper - an instrument with a sharp edge to get rid of the ice on the windshield.......not to worry I've used that expression before to friends living in Europe and they haven't understood either :D

Voyager970 Oct 25th 2004 11:22 pm

Originally Posted by willmore
Since it was my message I will try to explain.....We live in Victoria......and it's unusual for it to get that cold that we get "black-ice" on our windshield of our car, so we had to get a scraper - an instrument with a sharp edge to get rid of the ice on the windshield.......not to worry I've used that expression before to friends living in Europe and they haven't understood either :D

You mean SCRAPE your windshield.
Take a blunt instrument or a sharp instrument and scrape the ice from your windshield using a scraper !!!!!!

We use scrapers here to, to remove ice from the windscreen !!!
It is the way you have spelled that word
Scrap is to, Scrap a car i.e. dispose of it to a scrap metal merchant

Does this make any sense or is it a British thing,

Makes sense now

Eddie :beer:

willmore Oct 25th 2004 11:36 pm

Originally Posted by Voyager970
You mean SCRAPE your windshield.
Take a blunt instrument or a sharp instrument and scrape the ice from your windshield using a scraper !!!!!!

We use scrapers here to, to remove ice from the windscreen !!!
It is the way you have spelled that word
Scrap is to, Scrap a car i.e. dispose of it to a scrap metal merchant

Does this make any sense or is it a British thing,

Makes sense now

Eddie :beer:

You make perfect sense.........

Now what's dropping an "e" between friends.....sorry about that.....no excuse except that I usually have one of my kids on my lap and generally in a hurry...promise I'll try to do better with my english (hehehe)........ :D

Voyager970 Oct 25th 2004 11:44 pm

Originally Posted by willmore
You make perfect sense.........

Now what's dropping an "e" between friends.....sorry about that.....no excuse except that I usually have one of my kids on my lap and generally in a hurry...promise I'll try to do better with my english (hehehe)........ :D

Willmore I sort of guessed that you had misspelled the word SCRAPE

Only taking the mick, but I know you are up for a good laugh

Ps You had better get your grammar right in future missy !!!!! ( Headmasters strict voice now ) :rolleyes:

Cheers Eddie
Have a :beer: on me and maybe your spelling will be right next time. I usually have the wee man jumping all over me, so I know what you mean.