British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Canada (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/)
-   -   Homesick (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/homesick-261984/)

hot wasabi peas Oct 24th 2004 6:24 pm

Re: Homesick

Wow. So many replies already!

Originally Posted by Glaswegian
The one unique thing about Canada that still gets me is distances ... the place is so bloody big ... there's no equivalent to nipping over to France for a bit of foreign culture ... western north america is culturally homogenous ... you have to get to Quebec or Mexico to see something different ... the sea is a 12 hour drive away ... it's all too big.

I genuinely appreciate your feedback Glaswegian though I completely disagree with the above! Well, yes I agree Canada's big (I love that though), I disagree that western North America is culturally homogenous. Yeah, I know what you mean, "mainstream culture" is pretty much the same throughout, but there are amazing cultural experiences in western North America that one can not experienced in Europe and I've got the scars to prove it :D.

All we really miss are friends that we got to know well over almost 20 years ... we dropped off people's radar really fast and that was a surprise ... there are people we though were really good friends that we just haven't heard from ... we've only been here for three years so it's hard to get a 20 year friendship going.

I know what you mean.

If you really miss friends, family & familiarity ... go back for a visit ... it'll probably cure the homesickness.

Ah, you've met them then ;).

Emigration scrambles your brain and does odd stuff to your memories ... you just need to ground yourself and get your brain back in check.

So true. Thanks for your reply.

iaink Oct 24th 2004 6:35 pm

Originally Posted by Toontje
Speed limit of only 100 km/hr. It takes ages to get somewhere.

Only if you stick to it;)

hot wasabi peas Oct 24th 2004 6:36 pm

Originally Posted by Corky
What do you miss about Canada aside from Family and friends. Where abouts did you come from?

Many, many things but mainly just the familiarity of being 'home' - understanding the subtleties of conversations, understanding cultural references and jokes, my favourite restaurants, etc... I also hate feeling like a foreigner (or worse, being assumed that I'm a Yank).

I'm from Victoria, BC.

willmore Oct 24th 2004 6:40 pm

Originally Posted by hot wasabi peas
Many, many things but mainly just the familiarity of being 'home' - understanding the subtleties of conversations, understanding cultural references and jokes, my favourite restaurants, etc... I also hate feeling like a foreigner (or worse, being assumed that I'm a Yank).

I'm from Victoria, BC.

So.....am I......we are finally having some nice weather...after lots of rain....last few days sunshine in the afternoon.....but gets cloudy and really cool by late afternoon. My raspberries and strawberries plants have just finished producing, although still picking some spinach from the greenhouse.

My husband and I were at a party last night and had to scrap our windshield before we could drive........

Where did you live in Victoria?

hot wasabi peas Oct 24th 2004 6:41 pm

Originally Posted by Rhodes
How are you meant to read your utility bills in your pyjamas there?

With pride! :)

Rhodes Oct 24th 2004 6:49 pm

If you don't freeze to death when going to collect them, that is.

hot wasabi peas Oct 24th 2004 7:02 pm

Originally Posted by willmore
So.....am I......we are finally having some nice weather...after lots of rain....last few days sunshine in the afternoon.....but gets cloudy and really cool by late afternoon. My raspberries and strawberries plants have just finished producing, although still picking some spinach from the greenhouse.

My husband and I were at a party last night and had to scrap our windshield before we could drive........

Where did you live in Victoria?

Ah! :)

Ok - you can be quiet about fresh pickin's from the garden! ;) My sister's just emailed me a pic of a raspberry pie she made from her crop - that's just cruel I tell ya!

I've lived all over Victoria - James Bay, Fairfield, Esquimalt, Saanich, Oak Bay, Fernwood and near the university. I lived for many years before moving to Britain (and still have the condo) in Cook Street Village. Damn, I miss it all!

How long have you lived in Victoria? Where did you move from? Do you like Victoria? Where abouts in Victoria are you?

Toontje Oct 24th 2004 7:20 pm

Originally Posted by iaink
Only if you stick to it;)

I know. Doing 115 km/hr seems to be no problem at all. My cousin's wife, a police officer, only bothers with those that exceed the limit with more than 25 km/hr.

iaink Oct 24th 2004 7:36 pm

I know. Doing 115 km/hr seems to be no problem at all. My cousin's wife, a police officer, only bothers with those that exceed the limit with more than 25 km/hr.

65 in a school zone will get you in trouble though! There are bits of the 401 west of London where 125 will get attention too.:(

Toontje Oct 24th 2004 7:44 pm

Originally Posted by iaink
65 in a school zone will get you in trouble though!

I was reffering to the highways. I know about the school zones. It's only fair the be more strict in areas with a higher potential risk.

willmore Oct 24th 2004 7:46 pm

I was reffering to the highways. I know about the school zones. It's only fair the be more strict in areas with a higher potential risk.

In Victoria we have police patrolling the major school areas with radar.....and if you're caught - $125.00 fine - first offence.....almost doubles after that.

Toontje Oct 24th 2004 7:49 pm

In Ontario, exceding the 100 km/hr limit with 15 km/hr costs you CAD 52.50.

willmore Oct 24th 2004 7:53 pm

[QUOTE=hot wasabi peas]Ah! :)

Now doesn't that make your decision for you about returning to Victoria?

I'm originally from Manitoba and Ontario. Decided to come to UBC for marine biology and after 6 years at university, knew I could never move back, BC was the place for me and I wanted to be close to Botanical Beach...even though my future husband at the time wanted to stay in Ontario close to family and friends.

We live in the Fairfield area with our 2 small kids 2/4 overlooking Gonzales Bay - bought an old house while the real-estate prices were still reasonable. I'm a partner in a firm that does consulting work on marine biology, waste management, etc. My husband is an environmental engineer (use to be a wildlife biologists - but deserted us poor biologists)....and also is a partner in a consulting firm.

We love living in Victoria - although really miss family and friends in Ontario where we both grew up. We seriously could do without the rain, rain and more rain....I must tell you.....sometimes would really rather have snow.

Hope to hear from you soon again......and perhaps one day you and your family can move back to Canada and especially Victoria

oceanMDX Oct 24th 2004 9:03 pm

Originally Posted by Rhodes
I don't live there yet, but communist fences in Canada annoy me.

Communist fences? What are you talking about?

Another thing that annoys me is the smugness at not being American (in the U.S. sense), which goes hand-in-hand with people often thinking that they are American. .
There is a very good reason for that, so let me explain it. Canadians are tired of seeing Americans purporting to be Canadians when they travel abroad. So Canadians are proud that they don't have to lie about who they are and like to make it clear that they are not simply Americans pretending to be Canadians. Americans are very patriotic at home, but abroad they often wear the maple leaf and say they are Canadians.

I'm not an American, I'm a Canadian. Honest.. please believe me... I swear I'm telling you the truth... I have no reason to lie... because... well... I'm not an American, even though I am from North America! :D

Afterall, it's not the fault of Canadians that Americans have a bad reputation in many countries around the world. The dumb buggers just won't do what we tell them. :p

Toontje Oct 24th 2004 9:10 pm

Originally Posted by oceanMDX
So Canadians are proud that they don't have to lie about who they are and make it clear that they are not simply Americans pretending to be Canadians.

I'm not an American, I'm a Canadian. Honest.. please believe me... I swear I'm telling you the truth... I have no reason to lie... because... well... I'm not an American, even though I am from North America!

Not so long ago.....Click here!