British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Canada (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/)
-   -   Home Theatre Systems - converting to PAL (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/home-theatre-systems-converting-pal-499276/)

burton bunch Dec 11th 2007 11:42 am

Home Theatre Systems - converting to PAL

I know that this question has been asked by a number of members for DVD's but......................

We have bought a Sony Home Theatre System in Canada and would like to try and hack it to accept our UK DVD's.

Has anyone done this ?

Have already tried the website videohelp.com and it isn't listed on there.

Any help would be appreciated.

Gaynor and Phil

macadian Dec 11th 2007 12:12 pm

Re: Home Theatre Systems - converting to PAL

Originally Posted by burton bunch (Post 5658423)
I know that this question has been asked by a number of members for DVD's but......................

We have bought a Sony Home Theatre System in Canada and would like to try and hack it to accept our UK DVD's.

Has anyone done this ?

Have already tried the website videohelp.com and it isn't listed on there.

Any help would be appreciated.

Gaynor and Phil

Take a trip to a 'Future Shop' and pick up a MAX DVP-6100 DVD player for the princely sum of $29.95 + Tax. Will play all Regions (even if the logo on the back states Region 1 (North America). It will play all regions with a click of the remote . Its all covered in the user guide and is a peice of cake.

Best

Mac

burton bunch Dec 11th 2007 12:20 pm

Originally Posted by macadian (Post 5658471)
Take a trip to a 'Future Shop' and pick up a MAX DVP-6100 DVD player for the princely sum of $29.95 + Tax. Will play all Regions (even if the logo on the back states Region 1 (North America). It will play all regions with a click of the remote . Its all covered in the user guide and is a peice of cake.

Best

Mac

Thanks Mac

Have a Canadian DVD player - my point was that I have a "Home Theatre System" which has another DVD on it and wondered if anyone knew a site for unlocking these.

Gay
x

airbornesapper Dec 11th 2007 1:14 pm

Originally Posted by burton bunch (Post 5658504)
Thanks Mac

Have a Canadian DVD player - my point was that I have a "Home Theatre System" which has another DVD on it and wondered if anyone knew a site for unlocking these.

Gay
x

SONY DVD players are not usually able to be hacked...making them region free...
I still buy their stuff though...

R I C H Dec 11th 2007 1:48 pm

Thanks Mac

Gay
x

I'm in the same situation with a Canadian Sony home theatre DVD Gay. I've never bothered to buy pre-recorded DVD's, only burnt my own holiday movies etc so haven't got a stack of wrong region discs gathering dust, but unforunately I believe Mr Sapper's correct, many Sony products aren't hackable.

XCMTBer Dec 11th 2007 3:08 pm

as stated previously the Sony all on ones are not know for the ability to be hacked easily (without hardware mods), best bet night be to see if the Sony will accept the inputs from the $29 dvd player mentioned earlier and use it for its amp, 5.1 decoding and speakers. I had one a few years back and i think they had at least 1 set of inputs. Good luck.

burton bunch Dec 11th 2007 5:15 pm

Thanks for the info guys - trust Phil to buy the make that can't be hacked eh ! and all because Freddie Mercury sounded fantastic on it in Wallie World :mad:

Bloomin' men :mad::mad:

Gaynor

x

peachgary Dec 11th 2007 7:08 pm

Hi burton bunch try this website http://www.dvd.reviewer.co.uk/info/m...le.asp?Page=80

PS I'm coming over to lethbridge on the 19 January :eek:

Sony's can be hacked

Ben W Bell Dec 12th 2007 12:30 am

As others have said, as a general rule Sony's cannot be hacked by remote code means. They can be chipped, but I don't know if many people around still chip these days. Used to be common in the early days, but not very common now.

peachgary Dec 12th 2007 12:48 am

Originally Posted by Ben W Bell (Post 5660056)
As others have said, as a general rule Sony's cannot be hacked by remote code means. They can be chipped, but I don't know if many people around still chip these days. Used to be common in the early days, but not very common now.

So do you mean from region 1 to region 2 because my link says other wise as you can go from region 2 to 1.

but we need to find out if you can go from 1 to 2 so Gaynor and Phil we need your model No......................... to find out.

plus you could buy the MAX DVP-6100 DVD player and plug it in to your
Sony Home Theatre System which would be your safest bet.......and looking
at my link cost the same as you need to buy a all in one remote to trick Sony DVD players......

lawson44 Dec 12th 2007 4:47 am

Originally Posted by burton bunch (Post 5659157)
Thanks for the info guys - trust Phil to buy the make that can't be hacked eh ! and all because Freddie Mercury sounded fantastic on it in Wallie World :mad:

Bloomin' men :mad::mad:

Gaynor

x

What model is it and do you have acess to an one 4 all remote control. I have a sony and hacked it with my remote, it now plays all regions.

bazzz Dec 12th 2007 5:34 am

Originally Posted by burton bunch (Post 5659157)
and all because Freddie Mercury sounded fantastic on it in Wallie World

To be fair, anything makes Freddie Mercury sound good has got to be an incredible piece of technology.

Tangram Dec 12th 2007 6:49 am

Thanks Mac

Gay
x

Yes , did it at the weekend with the home theatre system left at the house by previous owner - it's an all in one dvd and amp thing with speakers plugged into the one unit. It's in the basement and I bought it off him as all the speakers were wired into the walls. Even though it's a Sony, usually cr@p for getting hacks, I was able to do it in about 5 mins with help from this site www.videohelp.com. I think that's the name but will check tonight at home.

Cautionary note - it removes the the dvd region code. But not sure it it does any conversion as mine is plugged into a UK tv and as that takes both PAL and NTSC I have no problem. Canuck TVs generally only accept a NTSC signal.

Tangram Dec 12th 2007 8:18 am

http://www.videohelp.com/dvdhacks

smithjm Dec 12th 2007 10:36 am

Going one further..
We move over in Feb and I will be buying a new LCD, DVD and Music System etc.
Can anyone recommend a good package that they have purchased.

I also want to bring a load of VHS tapes across for my young daughter. I know that there is an issue with PAL and NTSC tapes and the fact that the dual players cost a fortune, but wondered if anyone had any advice, ie: should we buy an all in one tv/video here and use a converter, or are there ways of getting a PAL VHS to play onto a Canadian system over there?

This area is not my speciality, so please be gentle!!

Jay