Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Home Insurance BC buildings & Contents questions

Home Insurance BC buildings & Contents questions

Old Sep 5th 2008, 12:12 am
Forum Regular

AndyBCbound is a jewel in the roughAndyBCbound is a jewel in the roughAndyBCbound is a jewel in the roughAndyBCbound is a jewel in the roughAndyBCbound is a jewel in the rough
Default Home Insurance BC buildings & Contents questions

Do i have to get a NO CLAIMS letter from my UK home Insurance company for proof no claims bonus in BC,if there is such a thing? Or is the system diffrent to the UK, if there is a link to an article on the Wiki that would be helpfull too,as a cant find anything
Old Sep 5th 2008, 2:29 am
BE Enthusiast

Inse has a reputation beyond reputeInse has a reputation beyond reputeInse has a reputation beyond reputeInse has a reputation beyond reputeInse has a reputation beyond reputeInse has a reputation beyond reputeInse has a reputation beyond reputeInse has a reputation beyond reputeInse has a reputation beyond reputeInse has a reputation beyond reputeInse has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Home Insurance BC buildings & Contents questions

Originally Posted by AndyBCbound
Do i have to get a NO CLAIMS letter from my UK home Insurance company for proof no claims bonus in BC,if there is such a thing? Or is the system diffrent to the UK, if there is a link to an article on the Wiki that would be helpfull too,as a cant find anything
We were asked for this when we took out our home insurance but I don't know if it is asked for all the time. We are insured with ING and the cost was only $261 for the year.
Old Sep 5th 2008, 3:37 am
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

There is an element of no claims bonus on house and contents insurance but it is very small. We were asked if we had any recent claims, we said no, and they took our word for it. It was only about $50.

You can get much better discounts by upping your deductible, say from $500 to $1,000. If you don't make claims then it doesn't matter.

Also, in your second year see if you can get a deal by combining your optional car insurance with your home insurance. I know Canadian Direct offer discounts if you do this (though you must have a good/safe driving record) and I am sure other do as well.
Old Sep 5th 2008, 3:56 am
Forum Regular

AndyBCbound is a jewel in the roughAndyBCbound is a jewel in the roughAndyBCbound is a jewel in the roughAndyBCbound is a jewel in the roughAndyBCbound is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by JonboyE
There is an element of no claims bonus on house and contents insurance but it is very small. We were asked if we had any recent claims, we said no, and they took our word for it. It was only about $50.

You can get much better discounts by upping your deductible, say from $500 to $1,000. If you don't make claims then it doesn't matter.

Also, in your second year see if you can get a deal by combining your optional car insurance with your home insurance. I know Canadian Direct offer discounts if you do this (though you must have a good/safe driving record) and I am sure other do as well.
Thanks for the advice, i have aspotless driving history, so far