Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Home Education

Home Education

Old Dec 12th 2009, 2:36 am
slanderer of the innocent

ExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Home Education

Originally Posted by ziggy8080
Combined, these factors tell me that state schools will not give my children the best opportunities of a successful life.

Ha! exactly my point.
Old Dec 12th 2009, 3:09 am
Dismember

scrubbedexpat074 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Kiwilass
Ha! exactly my point.
...and let's face it, whatever your criteria of success is and it's different for everyone, if you do give your kids what you hope will make them a success you haven't done your most important job.
Old Dec 12th 2009, 8:22 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

...and let's face it, whatever your criteria of success is and it's different for everyone, if you do give your kids what you hope will make them a success you haven't done your most important job.
I had to read that four times before I could make any sense out of it.

You appear to be saying that parents' most important job is to prepare kids to "succeed" at becoming whatever it is you want (or wanted) for yourself?
Old Dec 12th 2009, 8:31 pm

ExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
I had to read that four times before I could make any sense out of it.
okay, I'm not the only one
Old Dec 12th 2009, 8:46 pm
Dismember

scrubbedexpat074 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Kiwilass
okay, I'm not the only one
Whoops, I meant "if you don't give your kids" whatever... It was late...
Old Dec 12th 2009, 9:20 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Whoops, I meant "if you don't give your kids" whatever... It was late...
I assumed that the "do" was a typo for "don't", but it still only makes any sense at all in the way I tried to paraphrase it.

If that is what you meant, I'm afraid I find it exceedingly narrow minded.
Old Dec 12th 2009, 9:35 pm
Banned

Butch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
I assumed that the "do" was a typo for "don't", but it still only makes any sense at all in the way I tried to paraphrase it.

If that is what you meant, I'm afraid I find it exceedingly narrow minded.
Ah BUT Mr Novo, having read your posts I will make these assumptions about you.
1) You are both an educator and facilitator
2) You are NOT a right wing religous bigot
3) You have a big picture world view
4) You are well travelled
5) You have achieved a 'status' that materially and professionally is above that of your parents.
6) Your social circle extends beyond people of a similar socio-economic and professional background.

All of the above both widens the mind and allows you 'the benefit of being able to allow' your children to pursue their own goals and happiness.
Old Dec 12th 2009, 9:45 pm
Forum Regular

lousid is a splendid one to beholdlousid is a splendid one to beholdlousid is a splendid one to beholdlousid is a splendid one to beholdlousid is a splendid one to beholdlousid is a splendid one to beholdlousid is a splendid one to beholdlousid is a splendid one to beholdlousid is a splendid one to beholdlousid is a splendid one to beholdlousid is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Partially discharged
Such as Michelle Duggar, she of the School of the Dining Room Table in Arkansas. Watching bits of that show has made me vow to have my kids taught by professionals.
I totally agree. All the kids I have met who have been homeschooled are very sheltered and lacking something. School is a social experiment and it gives kids qualities that we as parents cannot. I say that as a public school teacher and a mother.
Old Dec 12th 2009, 9:48 pm
Forum Regular

lousid is a splendid one to beholdlousid is a splendid one to beholdlousid is a splendid one to beholdlousid is a splendid one to beholdlousid is a splendid one to beholdlousid is a splendid one to beholdlousid is a splendid one to beholdlousid is a splendid one to beholdlousid is a splendid one to beholdlousid is a splendid one to beholdlousid is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by acer rose
In most of the developed world, family income is not a barrier to getting a primary and secondary education. I'd have thought that parents who can afford to have one stay at home are largely self selected to not be at the lower end of the income scale <delicately trying to avoid the use of the dreaded "a" word>. There may be exceptions of people who live in remote areas and can't even afford to get their kids to school but I've rarely heard cost quoted as a reason for home-schooling/unschooling.

As a product of the state school system in a less affluent part of Britain I did OK. Many of the people I was at school with were anti-role models but that worked too. You have to be able to get along with people in the real world.

If people are travelling the world for a year or so I think "home"-schooling along with the experiencing of new cultures and places is a great idea, otherwise why not leave it to the professional but get involved in the school through parent committees and the like?
Excellent post!
Old Dec 12th 2009, 9:53 pm
Banned

Butch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lousid
I totally agree. All the kids I have met who have been homeschooled are very sheltered and lacking something. School is a social experiment and it gives kids qualities that we as parents cannot. I say that as a public school teacher and a mother.
LOL,

Personally I'm hoping that Schools have now evolved beyond the whole social experimentation stage.
Old Dec 12th 2009, 9:56 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Excellent post!
Which bit?

Education is not simply formal schooling, it is only one element in a myriad of configurations that contribute to a person's experience. In fact, unless its properly defined and operationalized, the term 'education' is far too wooly to be of much use.

Last edited by Oink; Dec 12th 2009 at 10:01 pm.
Old Dec 12th 2009, 10:10 pm
Forum Regular

I would love to enforce a law against home schooling. Men and women have died for the right of every child to be educated by people who have the ability to teach. What gives homeschooling parents the audacity to assume that they know as much as a qualified teacher???? It drives me nuts on so many levels. I think the effects that I see on children that have been home schooled is very scary. These kids are polite, well mannered and sweet but they have a lack of social skills and not able to converse properly with other kids and adults. I am going to say something very controversial but It's how I feel. Homeschooling at its best is producing a sheltered kid and at its worst, it's abusive.
I could go on and on about this. Parents home school because they are scared of others influencing their children. God help these kids who go to University. They will fall apart at the seams as their parents are not there to direct their every decision. We all want to protect our children but we cannot be there all the time for them. Our job is to give our kids roots and wings. It's the wings that are missing with these home schooled kids. Shame on you parents who home school.
Old Dec 12th 2009, 10:14 pm
rae
Settled.

rae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond repute

. Shame on you parents who home school.
tell it like it is mate why don't you. touchpaper lit.

look at it this way though, knowing how to chop up a sheep, make a wicker basket and weave a rug may just come in handy one day.
Old Dec 12th 2009, 10:18 pm

I would love to enforce a law against home schooling.
Eh, I wouldn't go that far. I think homeschooling is on a continuum, from parents who are actually perfectly capable of teaching, providing emotional support and experience to parents who are hopeless and doing it for some woolly ideological reasons or vague fears about what's going to happen to Precious at school. And then there's unschooling, which I personally think is nuts, but hey...

I feel sorry for kids in dysfunctional families - I know of one home-schooling family like this - who can't escape the toxic dynamics between the parents, the inconsistency, drama etc. I can't believe that doesn't have a negative effect on learning. At least at school they'd get a break from it. I believe there is research showing h/s kids have a more blinkered view of the world - not really surprising if they're only exposed to what the parents want them to be.

Last edited by ExKiwilass; Dec 12th 2009 at 10:20 pm.
Old Dec 12th 2009, 10:23 pm
Born again atheist

Originally Posted by Butch Cassidy
Ah BUT Mr Novo, having read your posts I will make these assumptions about you.
1) You are both an educator and facilitator
2) You are NOT a right wing religous bigot
3) You have a big picture world view
4) You are well travelled
5) You have achieved a 'status' that materially and professionally is above that of your parents.
6) Your social circle extends beyond people of a similar socio-economic and professional background.

All of the above both widens the mind and allows you 'the benefit of being able to allow' your children to pursue their own goals and happiness.
While being very slightly pleased with most of your observations (5, ironically, is not accurate), I don't follow the course to your conclusion.

The wisdom of allowing the kids to pursue their own goals was an extremely hard learned lesson.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.