Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Home Buyers Tax Credit

Home Buyers Tax Credit

Old Mar 1st 2022, 9:22 am
Just Joined

diswell is a glorious beacon of lightdiswell is a glorious beacon of lightdiswell is a glorious beacon of lightdiswell is a glorious beacon of lightdiswell is a glorious beacon of lightdiswell is a glorious beacon of lightdiswell is a glorious beacon of lightdiswell is a glorious beacon of lightdiswell is a glorious beacon of lightdiswell is a glorious beacon of lightdiswell is a glorious beacon of light
Default Home Buyers Tax Credit

Hi

Wanted to check my understanding of the Home Buyers Tax Credit for first-time buyers in Canada. We sold our UK home last year and purchased here in Canada - we last lived in the home in 2015 and have been renting since.

According to the federal guidance (below) we should be eligible as we have not lived in the UK house at any time in the preceding four years.

Am I missing anything?
You can claim up to $5,000 for the purchase of a qualifying home in the year if both of the following apply:
  • you (or your spouse or common-law partner) acquired a qualifying home
  • you did not live in another home owned by you (or your spouse or common-law partner) in the year of acquisition or in any of the four preceding years (first-time home buyer)
Old Mar 1st 2022, 2:40 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Home Buyers Tax Credit

That looks ok to me. If they disallow it the CRA will come after you for the tax, perhaps $2,500. I'd claim it, in good faith, but be ready to fork over the $2,500, if asked.
Old Mar 2nd 2022, 4:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

HGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by diswell
Hi

Wanted to check my understanding of the Home Buyers Tax Credit for first-time buyers in Canada. We sold our UK home last year and purchased here in Canada - we last lived in the home in 2015 and have been renting since.

According to the federal guidance (below) we should be eligible as we have not lived in the UK house at any time in the preceding four years.

Am I missing anything?
My understanding based on this:The home buyers’ tax credit is calculated using the lowest personal income tax rate for the year (i.e. 15% in 2022).Therefore, for homes purchased in 2022, you will get a credit of $750 (calculated as $5000 x 15%) when you file your taxes next year.

is that its the tax on $5000 that you can claim back - not the $5000. Here is link to the article, Article

Old Mar 2nd 2022, 7:36 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HGerchikov
My understanding based on this:The home buyers’ tax credit is calculated using the lowest personal income tax rate for the year (i.e. 15% in 2022).Therefore, for homes purchased in 2022, you will get a credit of $750 (calculated as $5000 x 15%) when you file your taxes next year.

is that its the tax on $5000 that you can claim back - not the $5000. Here is link to the article, Article
Is it different from other tax credits then? Usually you subtract the credit amount from your taxable income so some, or all, of it is discounted at your highest tax rate for the year. Hence my thinking that you'd get $2,500 on $5,000. If it's the lowest rate then everyone would get $750 and it should be a grant, not a tax break.
Old Mar 2nd 2022, 10:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

HGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
Is it different from other tax credits then? Usually you subtract the credit amount from your taxable income so some, or all, of it is discounted at your highest tax rate for the year. Hence my thinking that you'd get $2,500 on $5,000. If it's the lowest rate then everyone would get $750 and it should be a grant, not a tax break.
Yep $750 is the most you will get.

Another Source:
The Home Buyers’ Amount offers a $5,000 non-refundable income tax credit amount on a qualifying home acquired during the year. For an eligible individual, the credit will provide up to $750 in federal tax relief.

Last edited by HGerchikov; Mar 2nd 2022 at 11:03 pm.