Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Holidays and Hunting

Holidays and Hunting

Old Aug 24th 2007, 6:46 pm
Forum Regular

Boulder is a name known to allBoulder is a name known to allBoulder is a name known to allBoulder is a name known to allBoulder is a name known to allBoulder is a name known to allBoulder is a name known to allBoulder is a name known to allBoulder is a name known to allBoulder is a name known to allBoulder is a name known to all
Default Re: Holidays and Hunting

Originally Posted by dbd33
OK then. What sort of barrier keeps goundhogs out of fields?

Ask the farmers that do this. The ones that don't hunt. The smart ones.
Old Aug 24th 2007, 6:47 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boulder
If you choose to live in a place that has racoons in a city, you either learn to live with them or move.

I am talking about farmers and land.
Aw yes, they are so cute and cuddly,

I'd love to have a family live in my attic and eat my wiring and shit everywhere and pass along rabies and other diseases and basically destroy my home and all the equity I have invested in it. Im sure every major city in North America will soon be facing a mass exodus as people move to escape the virmin.

Please, go back to your village, they are missing you.
Old Aug 24th 2007, 6:50 pm
Forum Regular

Boulder is a name known to allBoulder is a name known to allBoulder is a name known to allBoulder is a name known to allBoulder is a name known to allBoulder is a name known to allBoulder is a name known to allBoulder is a name known to allBoulder is a name known to allBoulder is a name known to allBoulder is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Atlantic Xpat
The first animal with guns certainly..............

I'm confused by your posts so I looked into your history. I thought you were moving to the US? http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...37#post1502437 post 4 refers. Do you think they are less into hunting and racoon control down there?

I am lucky enough to have a choice of the US or Canada. Not confusing at all. Canada is more permanent though as the US deal would be an h1B. We are weighing up our options. Ummm Ok... I think I know about hunting in the US.. Thanks anyway.
Old Aug 24th 2007, 6:52 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Ahhhhhhhhhh I see.

Gas them or trap them instead. Much easier.

We had a "humane" mousetrap once. It was sort of funny in a sick way...the recommended disposal method for the trapped mice was drowning.

Last edited by iaink; Aug 24th 2007 at 6:55 pm.
Old Aug 24th 2007, 6:53 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by iaink
Aw yes, they are so cute and cuddly,

I'd love to have a family live in my attic and eat my wiring and shit everywhere and pass along rabies and other diseases and basically destroy my home and all the equity I have invested in it. Im sure every major city in North America will soon be facing a mass exodus as people move to escape the virmin.

Please, go back to your village, they are missing you.

You better start packing up your bags then
Old Aug 24th 2007, 6:54 pm
Forum Regular

Ahhhhhhhhhh I see.

Gas them instead. Much easier.
Wow.. smart comment
Old Aug 24th 2007, 6:55 pm
Magnificently Withering

Oakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond repute

You need to see the big picture. Did you think that man were the first animal?
no, but since man interacts with nature, man must take a responsible attitude to nature. You seem to advocate no controls of any kind over animal populations: I think it's you who is missing the big picture, or certainly the historical context. Let's just take an example from the UK, since you appear to have no frame of reference for Canada.

What happens to the deer population in the highlands of Scotland if left unchecked? It expands to the point of unsupportability, deer starve to death and carcasses are left to rot on the hillsides. And why is this? Well, largely because deer's natural predators, bears and wolves, no longer live in Scotland in the wild.

So the gamekeepers fulfil a role that nature does not, due to man's unwillingness, in past centuries as still today, to give up livestock to predation by wolves and bears.
Old Aug 24th 2007, 6:56 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

I don't believe there are any. Nor do I believe any such method exists.
Old Aug 24th 2007, 6:57 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

HA! YOU DONT KNOW, DO YOU!
Old Aug 24th 2007, 6:58 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

I am lucky enough to have a choice of the US or Canada. Not confusing at all. Canada is more permanent though as the US deal would be an h1B. We are weighing up our options. Ummm Ok... I think I know about hunting in the US.. Thanks anyway.
Please, go to the US. Maybe one day you can be president and ban all hunting.
Old Aug 24th 2007, 6:59 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Oakvillian
no, but since man interacts with nature, man must take a responsible attitude to nature. You seem to advocate no controls of any kind over animal populations: I think it's you who is missing the big picture, or certainly the historical context. Let's just take an example from the UK, since you appear to have no frame of reference for Canada.

What happens to the deer population in the highlands of Scotland if left unchecked? It expands to the point of unsupportability, deer starve to death and carcasses are left to rot on the hillsides. And why is this? Well, largely because deer's natural predators, bears and wolves, no longer live in Scotland in the wild.

So the gamekeepers fulfil a role that nature does not, due to man's unwillingness, in past centuries as still today, to give up livestock to predation by wolves and bears.
Wow! I wonder what happened before man came along. Thank goodness man is here to sort out nature... Oh boy!!
Old Aug 24th 2007, 7:01 pm

bazzz is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Oakvillian
Clearly the sensible thing to do would be to reintroduce bears and wolves to Scotland. Yeah!
Old Aug 24th 2007, 7:01 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

A good example of the need to cull in the US is the wild horses. Left to their own devices they would quickly eat all the available food and starve. The BLM rounds them up, collects a number of them and sells them off. What happens to them after that is a murky business.

Would you continue with the round up, leave them to starve, or exterminate the whole lot as they're not a native species?

Last edited by dbd33; Aug 24th 2007 at 7:04 pm.
Old Aug 24th 2007, 7:02 pm
Magnificently Withering

Oakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond repute

Wow! I wonder what happened before man came along. Thank goodness man is here to sort out nature... Oh boy!!
You really didn't read what I wrote, did you?

Let me put it more simply.
1. Before man, deer were eaten by bears and wolves
2. Man came along and removed the bears and wolves
3. Man now needs to perform the function bears and wolves once did, otherwide nobody will eat the deer and the population will run out of control
4. Man is not prepared to reintroduce bears and wolves
5. Therefore, man must continue to control the deer population.

You can't simply ignore thousands of years of man's interaction with other animals. To do so would be irresponsible and inhumane in the extreme.
Old Aug 24th 2007, 7:04 pm
Assimilated Pauper

Please, go to the US. Maybe one day you can be president and ban all hunting.
When it comes to horses I think there's a real problem in the US because there's a massive surplus and people can't hunt and kill them. They have to truck them to Canada or Mexico for slaughter. A shortsighted "humanitarian" measure there, banning slaughter, has led to a greater cruelty, days on a truck before slaughter. Shooting an animal isn't always the worst thing to do.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.