Holidays

Old Oct 2nd 2010, 8:34 pm
Forum Regular

karabrittan is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Holidays

I'm keen to find from those who have emmigrated to Canada how they have coped with the reduced holiday allowance. We are considering the move but are worried about the impact this will have. We are looking for a better quality of life but in having our holidays reduced to 2 weeks a year, this is a concern for us.

Any thoughts welcome
Thanks
Kara
Old Oct 2nd 2010, 10:26 pm
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Holidays

Originally Posted by karabrittan
I'm keen to find from those who have emmigrated to Canada how they have coped with the reduced holiday allowance. We are considering the move but are worried about the impact this will have. We are looking for a better quality of life but in having our holidays reduced to 2 weeks a year, this is a concern for us.

Any thoughts welcome
Thanks
Kara
Do you have a job?

My wife has a new role that gives 5 weeks so it'll have no impact.
Old Oct 2nd 2010, 11:00 pm
Reagent

lgspoke is just really nicelgspoke is just really nicelgspoke is just really nicelgspoke is just really nicelgspoke is just really nicelgspoke is just really nicelgspoke is just really nicelgspoke is just really nicelgspoke is just really nicelgspoke is just really nicelgspoke is just really nice

Also there are quite a few 'long weekend' holidays in the spring and summer, mondays off, which help. But yes, I know of a few people with just 2 weeks paid holiday a year. However, I know just as many who are able to have unpaid holidays, more usual here than the UK.
Old Oct 2nd 2010, 11:34 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Any thoughts welcome
Thanks
Kara
If vacation time is such a big concern for you in regards to immigrating, then I would question whether immigrating is the right move. Some jobs give more, some don't.

It never made any difference to me. Staying at home was a vacation.
Old Oct 3rd 2010, 12:14 am

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by el_richo
Do you have a job?

My wife has a new role that gives 5 weeks so it'll have no impact.
I get five weeks too. I don't think it's that unusual.
Old Oct 3rd 2010, 2:46 am
BE Enthusiast

jerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond repute

Hi
It's swings and roundabouts, I get three weeks,( the norm for skilled trades entry ) but i only work four days to get five days pay.

Most jobs you find are all different and are rarely the same package.

I thought i would miss it first when i came, but soon realised in the UK that i had five weeks, but used to work six days and on call as well.
So in reality here i gained big time in time off.
cheers
Jerry
Old Oct 3rd 2010, 2:49 am

dboy is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Alan2005
I get five weeks too. I don't think it's that unusual.
me too
Old Oct 3rd 2010, 2:53 am

dboy is an unknown quantity at this point

i think there's a typically more relaxed work culture here that makes up for reduced hols. 4 day weeks are common as are flex shifts and flexible start and end times. leaving early, coming in late, doing personal errands etc are common.

Most companies give more time as you gain service.
Old Oct 3rd 2010, 3:21 am
Account Closed

jericho is an unknown quantity at this point

I get 3 weeks and 3 "personal days". Why they dont just provide 18 days is beyond me, but whatever. I have to be with the employer 10 years before I start to accrue additional days.

As mentioned by someone else, if the number of vacation days is something that is worrying you, you should probably re-think the whole immigration thing.
Old Oct 3rd 2010, 4:01 am

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jericho
I get 3 weeks and 3 "personal days". Why they dont just provide 18 days is beyond me, but whatever. I have to be with the employer 10 years before I start to accrue additional days.

As mentioned by someone else, if the number of vacation days is something that is worrying you, you should probably re-think the whole immigration thing.
I get some "personal days". I was told that it's to do with the way they are accrued over the year and aren't the same as vacation days. It's an odd distinction, and the other people in the office have to specify which they are taking when they have time off.
Old Oct 3rd 2010, 4:22 am
agr
Occidentally Damaged

agr is a splendid one to beholdagr is a splendid one to beholdagr is a splendid one to beholdagr is a splendid one to beholdagr is a splendid one to beholdagr is a splendid one to beholdagr is a splendid one to beholdagr is a splendid one to beholdagr is a splendid one to beholdagr is a splendid one to beholdagr is a splendid one to behold

Any thoughts welcome
Thanks
Kara
Three weeks, to be taken in the year after it was earned. So I had no vacation at all in the first year, which is not uncommon. However, I also get an "earned day off" every month in exchange for working half of the one-hour lunch break, and there are 12 statutory holidays a year, so all in all not too bad.
Old Oct 3rd 2010, 11:10 am
Island life at last

helcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond repute

We were told by people in Canada that the holidays were similar to the UK. To get a positive LMO, the company has to advertise the job with all the benefits a Canadian would expect, so I'm not sure how they would get away with giving anyone less.
Of course, if you previously had extra days accrued for length of service in your UK company they will be gone but my OH has 20 days as a newbie at his employers, which is fine.
Old Oct 3rd 2010, 11:28 am
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by helcat12
We were told by people in Canada that the holidays were similar to the UK. To get a positive LMO, the company has to advertise the job with all the benefits a Canadian would expect, so I'm not sure how they would get away with giving anyone less.
Of course, if you previously had extra days accrued for length of service in your UK company they will be gone but my OH has 20 days as a newbie at his employers, which is fine.
The major difference is the legal minimum for paid holidays in both countries. The UK is 20 days plus bank holidays if working full time. Canada, i believe, is a minimum of 10 paid days plus bank holidays.

I know people on 10 days a year and i know others who get more than 25 days.
Old Oct 3rd 2010, 12:16 pm
Forum Regular

johnehsmith will become famous soon enough

For me its brutal, I just started a new job and in the first year : No paid vacation!

After this I get 2 weeks a year, plus 5 'personal days' and then a week off at Christmas.

I normally spend 2 weeks a year back home in England so thats it for me next year.
Old Oct 3rd 2010, 1:36 pm
BE Troll

Lord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond repute

Average
http://www.infoplease.com/ipa/A0922052.html

Minimum
http://www.nupge.ca/news_2007/n04jy07a.htm

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.