Holidays

Old May 20th 2004, 8:17 pm
JoD
Forum Regular

JoD is a name known to allJoD is a name known to allJoD is a name known to allJoD is a name known to allJoD is a name known to allJoD is a name known to allJoD is a name known to allJoD is a name known to allJoD is a name known to allJoD is a name known to allJoD is a name known to all
Default Holidays

Hi. I was wondering if any of you guys that have been lucky enough to emigrate to Canada could tell me how you survive on just 2 weeks holiday a year. When you're used to 4 or 5 weeks, did you find it really difficult to adjust? How does life over there compare to rainy old England??? Any comments greatly received!!

Cheers
Old May 20th 2004, 8:26 pm
Loving it here!

ClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Holidays

Originally posted by JoD
Hi. I was wondering if any of you guys that have been lucky enough to emigrate to Canada could tell me how you survive on just 2 weeks holiday a year. When you're used to 4 or 5 weeks, did you find it really difficult to adjust? How does life over there compare to rainy old England??? Any comments greatly received!!

Cheers
I know - it was a shock!! :scared:

Well, we use our Statutory holidays effectively (I think I have 11 - I work in the public sector) and hubby gets 9.

People at work take 3 day cruises, or 5 day vacations to Hawaii or Mexico (and try to include the weekend in their 5 days)

My employer will let me take extra hours worked as days off (but I'm a working mum with a hell of a commute - I can't do that much extra without it costing a fortune in child care!!)

Oh, and don't wince when your collegues comment on their generous holiday allowance (yeh, if you've been in my place 14 years you get an extra 5 days.... whoop de doo!!)

Actually, a colleague is just taking 3 months off (unpaid) to travel, and taking unpaid leave often happens (especially for new canadians that have to fly back "home" for visits).

It is doable - but I do miss Brit length of hols!

Clare
(PS DEAD QUEEN DAY ON MONDAY - Another day off - Yipee!! )
Old May 20th 2004, 8:56 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by JoD

Cheers
Personally I focus on the improvement in my quality of life, and the fact I have a nice big yard with a beautiful view to enjoy every evening, rather than a nasty rented flat.

It is frustrating though, especially not being able to explore much of this huge and diverse country, but I make the most of weekend and what holiday I do get.., plus the fact that I enjoy my job helps, and life here in general for me is a lot less stressful day to day than it was in the UK, so I dont feel I need weeks and weeks of holiday to unwind.

Iain

Up to three whole weeks next year!
Old May 20th 2004, 11:57 pm
Forum Regular

ThemeOne is an unknown quantity at this point

I understand that employment law is the preserve of each province. Does anyone know which province sets the most generous vacation allowance?
Old May 21st 2004, 12:28 am
Forum Regular

SentApril2002 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by ThemeOne
I understand that employment law is the preserve of each province. Does anyone know which province sets the most generous vacation allowance?
Newfoundland and Nova Scotia. Generally it's 6 months working, then 6 months on unemployment benefits.
Old May 21st 2004, 12:43 am
mickj

Have got a feeling my post is being followed :-)

Ah....i was one of those that had 5 weeks a year holiday working in the city of london, also there were extra days here and there, and all that was put to use by flying to the states, canada, and round europe.

I miss all that now to be honest, as the only place close to here is the states, and after a while it gets pretty boring, i must have covered more than 30 states over the years, as i have families there.

Anyway...the time i get off here is put to good use, by taking driving trips with my better half, and the weekend is usually spent driving round Ontario checking out places, and taking pictures.

My life here is pretty much like i had in london, but without the hectic running around and razzmatazz of the big city. Driving is also much fun too here, love it too bits, and i get to share it with my better half. Also i get to ride my mountain bike, do my running, and breathe clean air.

Oh...and our new house ( not all brick of course ), is a lot cheaper than what i have in london.

Originally posted by JoD

Cheers

Last edited by mickj; May 21st 2004 at 12:45 am.

Old May 21st 2004, 1:19 am
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by mickj
Also i get to ride my mountain bike, do my running, and breathe clean air.
I wish I got to breath clean air, all Toronto / GTA's shitty air seems to make its way 2h East, and we seem to have the worst air quality in ontario at the moment.

Iain
Old May 21st 2004, 1:23 am
mickj

I can only speak for myself, and that is that. I can see an investigation being launched into that clean air business that i mentioned. I did say Ontario, but didn't mention where in Ontario we go mountain biking.

Gordon Bennet....Is this going to be googled to make sure there is clean air in Ontario

Last edited by mickj; May 21st 2004 at 11:24 am.

Old May 21st 2004, 1:30 am
Moderαtor Emeritus

I can only speak for myself, and that is that. I can see an investigation being launched into that clean air business. I did say Ontario, but didn't mention where in Ontario we go mountain biking.

Gordon Bennet....
Have you tried Northumberland forest, about 20km N of Coburg on HWY 45? Suppost to be really nice. Was going to go when my back recovers. There are some directions / reviews on the link I posted a day or two ago. Most of the time I just go local places I can ride to from home, but sometimes its worth getting the bike rack out.

Iain
Old May 21st 2004, 11:28 am
mickj

I don't believe i was asking where to go mountain-biking

Old May 21st 2004, 12:42 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

I don't believe i was asking where to go mountain-biking
Scuse me for making conversation, I though you might appreciate somewhere to investigate. Besides, you are not the only person reading this, so maybe others are interested. Not the first thread here to go of topic is it?

Iain
Old May 21st 2004, 7:08 pm
JoD
Forum Regular

JoD is a name known to allJoD is a name known to allJoD is a name known to allJoD is a name known to allJoD is a name known to allJoD is a name known to allJoD is a name known to allJoD is a name known to allJoD is a name known to allJoD is a name known to allJoD is a name known to all

Thanks you guys for all your comments. I'm hoping that the quality of live out there will outweigh the lack of holidays!! I'm hoping to move to Ontario, can anyone please list me the bank holidays you get in that province?

Thanks
Old May 21st 2004, 7:18 pm
mickj

Someone will probably come around and say it isn't so, and that am wrong, you can count on them to be peeking at this post. You will say i told you so :-) Peek-a-boo

Ontario has eight public holidays:

New Year's Day
Good Friday
Victoria Day
Canada Day
Labour Day
Thanksgiving Day
Christmas Day
Boxing Day (December 26)

http://www.cbsc.org/ontario/english/...l=ON_PROVBIS_E

Originally posted by JoD
Thanks you guys for all your comments. I'm hoping that the quality of live out there will outweigh the lack of holidays!! I'm hoping to move to Ontario, can anyone please list me the bank holidays you get in that province?

Thanks

Last edited by mickj; May 21st 2004 at 8:19 pm.

Old May 21st 2004, 7:41 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

Originally posted by JoD

Thanks
These are the stat holidays with 2004 dates..meaning days that are legally protected for pay and overtime etc...

New Year´s Day - Thursday January 1
Good Friday - Friday April 9
Victoria Day - Monday May 24
Canada Day - Thursday July 1
Civic Holiday - Monday August 2 (Ontario only, not covered by federal labour regs)
Labour Day - Monday September 6
Thanksgiving - Monday October 11
Christmas - Monday December 27
Boxing Day - Tuesday December 28

Some companies also give Easter Monday (not common) and a couple of floating days to fill the gaps at Xmas (common). When I worked in Automotive, we had to work the canadian holidays sometimes, but got the US hols off instead...to do with the logistics and "JIT", if the assembly plants in the states were working, then we had to work to supply them.

Quebec and Alberta get extra days..St. Jean Baptiste day and Family Day, not sure about the others. (Some) Government offices also observe rememberence day, but the rest of us have to work it

Iain

Last edited by iaink; May 21st 2004 at 7:45 pm.