Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Holiday Entitlement

Holiday Entitlement

Old Mar 25th 2021, 2:28 pm
Tea Drinker

Danny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Holiday Entitlement

Originally Posted by Gozit View Post
Yes please evaluate if the so called culture of not taking vacation and not travelling and basically giving your life to your employer is something you are willing to accept moving over here....I was born and raised here and I couldn't stomach it so i'm going to start my own business instead. If that fails, I will work part time for the flexibility and supplement the income with freelance and other side jobs...then I can travel when I want. However I have no dependents and very little expenses and not everyone is as lucky to be in that situation.
Quite the opposite for me, I actually get into trouble for not taking enough vacation as it keeps rolling over into next years bank.
Old Mar 25th 2021, 2:50 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Jsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Danny B View Post
Quite the opposite for me, I actually get into trouble for not taking enough vacation as it keeps rolling over into next years bank.
All my employers just paid out unused vacation at the end of the year, no banking allowed, but they did frown upon people actually taking the vacation time, and made it hard to take with so many blackout months.

Old Mar 26th 2021, 6:46 pm
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

I can carry 5 days over (out of 20 days vacation) to the next year. Any more and we would lose them so we are encouraged very strongly to use it rather than lose it.

By the way, for the OP to consider.....sick leave is also something to consider. I get 5 days sick leave. After that I'm either taking vacation, unpaid leave or short term disability through my employers extended health and benefits package. That means 60% pay. This differs considerably from the UK where I don't believe there is any restriction on the number of days one can be sick while still getting paid. At least our parent company has that policy. In a pandemic, lack of sick days can be a problem!
Old Mar 27th 2021, 8:55 am
Just Joined

The1Anton is an unknown quantity at this point

The anaesthetic jobs I see advertised in BC have 7 weeks a year holiday