Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Holiday Entitlement

Holiday Entitlement

Old Mar 19th 2021, 11:32 pm

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Holiday Entitlement

Ove reason I work part time us so i can rate more vacation. Hubs work is pretty good, he can take time off and choose how much he wants paying out of his accrued vacation pot. But after 5 years in my job I now get the 6% paid out per pay cheque. Hubby after 16 years still just gets 3 measly weeks. Travel when we can is super expensive anyway.
Old Mar 20th 2021, 11:33 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

This past week was March break (I don't know what happened to covid but t seems forgotten in Vancouver). My daughter and her husband rented a house up a mountain for the week, with small children half a week would be better but he has to be contactable during core hours and the cell phone networks in Canada don't consistently support calls from moving vehicles. While they were there the husband was called to work and disappeared to the basement for three days. "Growing up with you was good training for this" said the daughter "it's why I took a government job",

I believe the vacation numbers above are for a government job, at a quango. Certainly I've always worked with the rule that no one can take vacation out of range of the phone (return call within two hours not necessarily immediately). I don't think people should go into competitive fields (that is not government, not bank) in Canada and expect to have career progression and actual, out of touch, holidays.
Old Mar 20th 2021, 5:52 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Government seems to be the way to go, if you can secure a government job, really any level of government pays decent, with decent benefits and pensions, trick if getting one.

Originally Posted by dbd33
This past week was March break (I don't know what happened to covid but t seems forgotten in Vancouver). My daughter and her husband rented a house up a mountain for the week, with small children half a week would be better but he has to be contactable during core hours and the cell phone networks in Canada don't consistently support calls from moving vehicles. While they were there the husband was called to work and disappeared to the basement for three days. "Growing up with you was good training for this" said the daughter "it's why I took a government job",

I believe the vacation numbers above are for a government job, at a quango. Certainly I've always worked with the rule that no one can take vacation out of range of the phone (return call within two hours not necessarily immediately). I don't think people should go into competitive fields (that is not government, not bank) in Canada and expect to have career progression and actual, out of touch, holidays.
Old Mar 20th 2021, 6:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

scilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond repute

Government or technical/trades jobs at universities.

At least in BC, that level of job in a university is unionised and have longer vacations EVENTUALLY.

It starts at 2 weeks after 1 year of service ........... ie, no vacation except for Stat holidays in the first year.

Then it gradually increases over time.

It took me 10 years to get to 6 weeks + Stat holidays

Benefits can also be good.
Old Mar 20th 2021, 6:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

scilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33

I must live in a different Vancouver, BC, than your daughter.

My understanding is that there is no unnecessary travel outside your region, ie, people in Vancouver should not be going to Whistler, or the Okanagan, or even in to the Fraser Health Region, such as Surrey or ChilliwackAbbotsford/Hope etc for unnecessary travel.

That means anything other than travelling for work .Holidays are considered unnecessary!

It's why I'm still isolating.
Old Mar 20th 2021, 6:28 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

The no non-essential travel outside your region is only an advisory, they never actually banned non-essential travel, the government just advises against doing so.

The actual legal mandated restrictions in BC are so few that life is more or less normal, just got to wear a mask now. Aside from March to June of last year, we never had Ontario or Quebec style lock downs.

Originally Posted by scilly
I must live in a different Vancouver, BC, than your daughter.

My understanding is that there is no unnecessary travel outside your region, ie, people in Vancouver should not be going to Whistler, or the Okanagan, or even in to the Fraser Health Region, such as Surrey or ChilliwackAbbotsford/Hope etc for unnecessary travel.

That means anything other than travelling for work .Holidays are considered unnecessary!

It's why I'm still isolating.
Old Mar 20th 2021, 11:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

Jsmith ..........

it is more than an advisory. Police have been stopping cars in areas, checking on movement.

In fact, when you really look at it, Bonnie Henry's "suggestions" are more like an order said in a very quiet tone of voice.

Just as one is supposed to reason with children, without ordering them to do something or stop misbehaving.

Sometimes I wish she would be more of an old-style nanny than the new breed.

Over 700 cases yesterday means that there will soon be another crackdown if people aren't taking care.

Old Mar 23rd 2021, 2:26 am
Phaedrus by Plato (not5)

Phaedru5 has a reputation beyond reputePhaedru5 has a reputation beyond reputePhaedru5 has a reputation beyond reputePhaedru5 has a reputation beyond reputePhaedru5 has a reputation beyond reputePhaedru5 has a reputation beyond reputePhaedru5 has a reputation beyond reputePhaedru5 has a reputation beyond reputePhaedru5 has a reputation beyond reputePhaedru5 has a reputation beyond reputePhaedru5 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scilly
Jsmith ..........

it is more than an advisory. Police have been stopping cars in areas, checking on movement.
In fact, when you really look at it, Bonnie Henry's "suggestions" are more like an order said in a very quiet tone of voice.
Just as one is supposed to reason with children, without ordering them to do something or stop misbehaving.
Sometimes I wish she would be more of an old-style nanny than the new breed.
Over 700 cases yesterday means that there will soon be another crackdown if people aren't taking care.
I dont disagree with your sentiment, but believe me having been a regular at two (local for me) Okanagan ski resorts over the past weeks, infact all season long, the number of overheard conversations in lift lines of people having come from the coast, and our neighbouring province for that matter, for the weekend would make you and dear Bonnie firmly plant your face into your hands.
Old Mar 23rd 2021, 3:11 am
BE Forum Addict

It does make me shake my head!

Almost 1800 new cases since Friday, more of the variants.

Thank heavens we've got our jab dates ............. OH on Friday, me on Tuesday next week.

It's strange, I must live in a very strangely different area of Vancouver, fortunately. People have been spatially distancing, wearing masks even when there is no-one else within a block. People obeying in the stores/hair-dressers/dentists/physio, etc.

I will stay in this little area, thank you very much!!
Old Mar 23rd 2021, 3:21 am
BE Forum Addict

CanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond repute

Current job is 4 weeks at a multinational company, though obviously haven't had much incentive to use it the past year. I have had previous jobs where it was just the 2 week minimum, and another where it was 2 weeks plus 5 flex sick/vacation days. My wife's job is just the two weeks and what is also ridiculous is they close the office for Easter Monday and she doesn't get paid for that day, but she gets paid decently well so she doesn't mind. So yeah it really does vary a lot. One factor to consider though is that if you get paid well enough some places will be fine with you taking a week or two of unpaid leave, and you can just subsidize your own vacation from your salary throughout the year. You're not committed to just only using paid leave if the company is flexible enough.
Old Mar 23rd 2021, 11:34 pm
Forum Regular

Jimbo2012 has a reputation beyond reputeJimbo2012 has a reputation beyond reputeJimbo2012 has a reputation beyond reputeJimbo2012 has a reputation beyond reputeJimbo2012 has a reputation beyond reputeJimbo2012 has a reputation beyond reputeJimbo2012 has a reputation beyond reputeJimbo2012 has a reputation beyond reputeJimbo2012 has a reputation beyond reputeJimbo2012 has a reputation beyond reputeJimbo2012 has a reputation beyond repute

I work in the private sector (IT role in Insurance) in Ontario, and it breaks down like this:

0-5 years = 15 days
6-10 years = 20 days
11+ years = 25 days

Plus the 10 stat holidays, and 3 personal days.

The whole holiday entitlement thing was one of my biggest fears when I moved from the UK (about 9 yrs ago) but I've found I have adapted and find this set up quite workable. Granted, with Covid restricting travel, I'm struggling to use all my vacation at the moment anyway!
I'm also lucky enough to have an understanding boss who lets me "bank" time for any extra hours worked and doesn't expect us to book personal leave for the odd dental/medical appointment here and there.

I think you'll also find that vacation time is certainly a point for negotiation when it comes to accepting an offer or otherwise, and I wouldn't necessarily accept that 2 weeks as a starting point is set in stone.
Old Mar 24th 2021, 1:18 am
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

My previous job in Ontario (Business Development / Administration for Investment company) I was entitled to 10 working days after 1 year (i.e. 2 weeks) plus the stat holidays.
For a general overview of vacation under Employment Standards for each Province see: https://www.payworks.ca/payroll-legi...acationPay.asp

Saskatchewan has the most generous standard vacation entitlement - 3 weeks after 1 year. https://www.saskatchewan.ca/business...d-vacation-pay

Last edited by Siouxie; Mar 24th 2021 at 1:21 am.
Old Mar 24th 2021, 1:44 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

I don't know about Canada and the rest of the world, but in the US 2 weeks vacation is NOT 14 days but rather 10 days. It is two weeks of work days not two weeks of a calendar week.
Old Mar 24th 2021, 2:02 am
BE Forum Addict

Rete ...............

it is 10 days here, it's just sloppy to say 2 weeks, except that it is 2 weeks from the last Friday worked to the Monday back to work!!

Just as I said I got 6 weeks after 10 years ................. that was actually 30 working days

However employers do tend to say 2 weeks, 3 weeks etc.
Old Mar 25th 2021, 3:07 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Gozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond repute

Yes please evaluate if the so called culture of not taking vacation and not travelling and basically giving your life to your employer is something you are willing to accept moving over here....I was born and raised here and I couldn't stomach it so i'm going to start my own business instead. If that fails, I will work part time for the flexibility and supplement the income with freelance and other side jobs...then I can travel when I want. However I have no dependents and very little expenses and not everyone is as lucky to be in that situation.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.