Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Holiday cash....?

Holiday cash....?

Old Dec 1st 2008, 1:22 pm
Just Joined

Peter1981 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Holiday cash....?

My OH and I are going for an extended holiday for a bit of a reccie in February, and we're wondering where we can get a good deal for holiday cash?

Everytime i go away i just get ripped off by my bank when i take money out abroad.....

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

Pete.
Old Dec 1st 2008, 2:02 pm

marclouis is a name known to allmarclouis is a name known to allmarclouis is a name known to allmarclouis is a name known to allmarclouis is a name known to allmarclouis is a name known to allmarclouis is a name known to allmarclouis is a name known to allmarclouis is a name known to allmarclouis is a name known to allmarclouis is a name known to all
Default Re: Holiday cash....?

we always used M&S seem better than the bank rate.
but now we have a Canadian account, next time we will use that with HiFX to transfer the cash over in advance.
Old Dec 1st 2008, 2:33 pm
Just Joined

Peter1981 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by marclouis
we always used M&S seem better than the bank rate.
but now we have a Canadian account, next time we will use that with HiFX to transfer the cash over in advance.
Thanks for that.....will check out M&S's rates.

Would you advise setting up a Canadian bank when im there? Is it simple to do?
Old Dec 1st 2008, 2:38 pm
Forum Regular

mayersanna has much to be proud ofmayersanna has much to be proud ofmayersanna has much to be proud ofmayersanna has much to be proud ofmayersanna has much to be proud ofmayersanna has much to be proud ofmayersanna has much to be proud ofmayersanna has much to be proud ofmayersanna has much to be proud ofmayersanna has much to be proud ofmayersanna has much to be proud of

Hi we use a Nationwide account and Visa card you don't get charged for spending abroad and you get nearer business exchange rate than tourist rate. You may still get charged for cash withdrawals from the ATMs by the banks over there.

HTH
Old Dec 1st 2008, 3:09 pm

marclouis is a name known to allmarclouis is a name known to allmarclouis is a name known to allmarclouis is a name known to allmarclouis is a name known to allmarclouis is a name known to allmarclouis is a name known to allmarclouis is a name known to allmarclouis is a name known to allmarclouis is a name known to allmarclouis is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Peter1981
Would you advise setting up a Canadian bank when im there? Is it simple to do?
there was a recent thread about setting them up from the UK, personally we just walked into a branch of HSBC in the high street while on a reccie, showed our passports, gave our UK home address, we got savings, current and a mastercard (restricted to balance of savings account). all online.