Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

HMRC income tax help!

Wikiposts

HMRC income tax help!

Old Mar 2nd 2015, 4:45 am
BE Enthusiast

Divvym1 has a reputation beyond reputeDivvym1 has a reputation beyond reputeDivvym1 has a reputation beyond reputeDivvym1 has a reputation beyond reputeDivvym1 has a reputation beyond reputeDivvym1 has a reputation beyond reputeDivvym1 has a reputation beyond reputeDivvym1 has a reputation beyond reputeDivvym1 has a reputation beyond reputeDivvym1 has a reputation beyond reputeDivvym1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default HMRC income tax help!

I have been in Canada since May 2013 on Two iec. I just received mail from HMRC saying i have a 100 pound fine for not sending in a self assessment tax return between april 2013-april 2014. I didnt earn money in UK obviously because i was over here.
I cant get through to HMRC on the phone. Any1 have an idea what i need to do and why i have to send in a self assessment form?
Thanks for any help as always.
Old Mar 2nd 2015, 4:52 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: HMRC income tax help!

Assuming that you submitted your P85 before you left, then HMRC should have a record of you leaving to work abroad and I don't see why you'd need to submit a self-assessment? Hopefully they won't make you pay the fine once they realise that.
Old Mar 2nd 2015, 4:57 am
BE Enthusiast

Divvym1 has a reputation beyond reputeDivvym1 has a reputation beyond reputeDivvym1 has a reputation beyond reputeDivvym1 has a reputation beyond reputeDivvym1 has a reputation beyond reputeDivvym1 has a reputation beyond reputeDivvym1 has a reputation beyond reputeDivvym1 has a reputation beyond reputeDivvym1 has a reputation beyond reputeDivvym1 has a reputation beyond reputeDivvym1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
Assuming that you submitted your P85 before you left, then HMRC should have a record of you leaving to work abroad and I don't see why you'd need to submit a self-assessment? Hopefully they won't make you pay the fine once they realise that.
I didn't send my P85. I used to claim expenses at my previous employment. I think this is the confusion. I need go back to their assessment which goes off my P11D which would've shown no income.
So i should have sent my P85 before left the UK, darn
Call centre is closed ill try again tomorrow.
Old Mar 2nd 2015, 5:02 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Divvym1
I didn't send my P85. I used to claim expenses at my previous employment. I think this is the confusion. I need go back to their assessment which goes off my P11D which would've shown no income.
So i should have sent my P85 before left the UK, darn
Call centre is closed ill try again tomorrow.
Ah. That would explain why HMRC are expecting you to have done a self-assessment etc - as far as they know, you're still in the UK!

Even if you didn't earn anything I think you'll still have to submit a self-assessment if you didn't do a P85. Hopefully somebody with more tax knowledge than me will be along shortly to advise though, good luck.
Old Mar 2nd 2015, 5:08 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
Ah. That would explain why HMRC are expecting you to have done a self-assessment etc - as far as they know, you're still in the UK!

Even if you didn't earn anything I think you'll still have to submit a self-assessment if you didn't do a P85. Hopefully somebody with more tax knowledge than me will be along shortly to advise though, good luck.
Thanks for your help.
Hopefully i can sort it out over the phone tomorrow.
Old Mar 2nd 2015, 5:20 am
Just Joined

Paulo_Brit is an unknown quantity at this point

Try interacting with HMRC via Twitter at [https://twitter.com/hmrccustomers]. Open 8-6 UK time. I wasn't able to find an appropriate contact number anywhere when I was searching recently, but this is a pilot service which offers assistance. Obviously do not share specific information, but give them the gist of your query and they will set you in the right direction.