Reload this Page >

Hiring culture in Canada

Hiring culture in Canada

Old May 4th 2012, 11:16 pm
ZIG
Forum Regular

ZIG is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Hiring culture in Canada

I landed in Saskatoon last week from UK (Milton Keynes). I am accountant and only started applying for jobs after I arrived here.

How long you would wait before chasing an employer (after sending resume)?

Thanks
Old May 4th 2012, 11:22 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Hiring culture in Canada

Depends what the advert says.

One to two weeks after the closing date?

Some posts will specifically say that only those chosen for interview will be contacted.

Where I work we can get anywhere between 20 and 150 applications for a post - it can take a couple of weeks to even set up interviews, so applicants phoning up the morning after the job posting closed aren't going to get much information really.

This thread will likely start a rampant HR bashing session shortly about how rude Canadians are because they don't reply to all applicants on all jobs.
Old May 4th 2012, 11:24 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ann m

This thread will likely start a rampant HR bashing session shortly about how rude Canadians are because they don't reply to all applicants on all jobs.
Or indeed to any applicants on most jobs which are advertised.
Old May 5th 2012, 1:48 am
Happy

Howefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond repute

I have learnt to not expect it to be anything like what you are used to unless you are going through an agency, then its very similiar to the UK

Other than that, keep applying for everything you see that interests you and see what happens.
And network too. Every meeting is worth it.

Do you have a UK accounting qualification?
Old May 5th 2012, 2:56 am
BE Enthusiast

victorfoxtrot has a reputation beyond reputevictorfoxtrot has a reputation beyond reputevictorfoxtrot has a reputation beyond reputevictorfoxtrot has a reputation beyond reputevictorfoxtrot has a reputation beyond reputevictorfoxtrot has a reputation beyond reputevictorfoxtrot has a reputation beyond reputevictorfoxtrot has a reputation beyond reputevictorfoxtrot has a reputation beyond reputevictorfoxtrot has a reputation beyond reputevictorfoxtrot has a reputation beyond repute

Network like crazy - Linkedin is a great way to get going. I interviewed a few times when I first arrived with employers and although they liked me I lost out to people with working visa's (i was a visitor). I had nothing to lose and connected with them on Linkedin - over a year later I re-connected with them and I agree it is worth it. I met up with one of my former interviewers and he kindly agreed to pass my resume to others - I got invited to an interview on the strength of his recommendation for another company.

I would also advise keeping a spreadsheet so you can keep track of who you have applied to and when.

This is my recent experience:
24 Feb: Applied via email for a job advertised online
6 Mar: Emailed by employer to arrange interview
22 Mar: Interview took place
2 Apr: Offered job.

So that's just over 5 weeks from start to finish. I did not call them after I didn't hear. In fact I thought it was a complete write off, I thought I might call them, then the next day I heard something.

I stick by the rule: if they want you, they'll call you.
Old May 5th 2012, 3:21 am
ZIG
Forum Regular

Many thanks for everyone's help.

@Howefamily .. Yes I am ACCA member and I have applied for CGA designation as well.
Old May 5th 2012, 10:30 am
Just Joined

arjal is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by victorfoxtrot
Network like crazy - Linkedin is a great way to get going. I interviewed a few times when I first arrived with employers and although they liked me I lost out to people with working visa's (i was a visitor). I had nothing to lose and connected with them on Linkedin - over a year later I re-connected with them and I agree it is worth it. I met up with one of my former interviewers and he kindly agreed to pass my resume to others - I got invited to an interview on the strength of his recommendation for another company.

I would also advise keeping a spreadsheet so you can keep track of who you have applied to and when.

This is my recent experience:
24 Feb: Applied via email for a job advertised online
6 Mar: Emailed by employer to arrange interview
22 Mar: Interview took place
2 Apr: Offered job.

So that's just over 5 weeks from start to finish. I did not call them after I didn't hear. In fact I thought it was a complete write off, I thought I might call them, then the next day I heard something.

I stick by the rule: if they want you, they'll call you.
Hi victorfoxtrot

Who did you network with on Linkedin? HR ?

I am actually flying out in a couple of weeks to Calgary from the UK to see if I can secure a role in Engineering.
Old May 5th 2012, 10:50 am
Happy

Howefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond repute

I really advise that when you apply for jobs that you make it clear that although you are ACCA you are transferring to CGA. Many people dont know the UK quals here, even accounting agencies dont really understand them.

If I say I am ACMA I can see the cogs start to turn, the moment I add that I am transfering to CMA a look of relief washes over them.

Our quals are advertised as global but that really only means here that you can transfer them (and thank God for that!)

And can I add that although initially I took a much lower position (although nice job) than I had in England, 11 months later I was able to secure a much better job than I have ever had. Canadian experience is everything to many employers.

Last edited by Howefamily; May 5th 2012 at 10:52 am. Reason: missed a bit
Old May 5th 2012, 12:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

scribe123 is a glorious beacon of lightscribe123 is a glorious beacon of lightscribe123 is a glorious beacon of lightscribe123 is a glorious beacon of lightscribe123 is a glorious beacon of lightscribe123 is a glorious beacon of lightscribe123 is a glorious beacon of lightscribe123 is a glorious beacon of lightscribe123 is a glorious beacon of lightscribe123 is a glorious beacon of lightscribe123 is a glorious beacon of light

Depends what the advert says.

I really don't know why people complain. It isn't just Canada, it's here in the UK also.

When you advertise a position and get potentially hundreds of applicants, it simply isn't practical to respond to each and every one.

I understand that it can frustrate you, but you need to understand how the system works and accept it.

Now, where is my flame proof suit.....
Old May 5th 2012, 3:26 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scribe123
When you advertise a position and get potentially hundreds of applicants, it simply isn't practical to respond to each and every one.
I hear you. And I agree (now ). But many don't - and "why is it so difficult, with today's technology, that they can't even be bothered to send you an email if you are not successful".

And we've all been on the receiving end of a big fat silence. And yes, it's horrible. But just keep plugging away. The right job will come along eventually.

Where I work, it takes on average between 4 and 7 weeks to hire after the closing date of the job posting. Then the applicant usually has to give 2 to 4 weeks notice.
Old May 5th 2012, 3:58 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

I hear you. And I agree (now ). But many don't - and "why is it so difficult, with today's technology, that they can't even be bothered to send you an email if you are not successful".

And we've all been on the receiving end of a big fat silence. And yes, it's horrible. But just keep plugging away. The right job will come along eventually.

Where I work, it takes on average between 4 and 7 weeks to hire after the closing date of the job posting. Then the applicant usually has to give 2 to 4 weeks notice.
There are also applicants who cannot seem to understand an ad, applying, even when they don't meet the qualifications or cannot follow simple instructions. We use an auto responder saying we recieved the e-mail and those selected for interview will be contacted with the next xx days. If they don't see anymore e-mails, they can figure they were not successful.
Old May 5th 2012, 9:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

victorfoxtrot has a reputation beyond reputevictorfoxtrot has a reputation beyond reputevictorfoxtrot has a reputation beyond reputevictorfoxtrot has a reputation beyond reputevictorfoxtrot has a reputation beyond reputevictorfoxtrot has a reputation beyond reputevictorfoxtrot has a reputation beyond reputevictorfoxtrot has a reputation beyond reputevictorfoxtrot has a reputation beyond reputevictorfoxtrot has a reputation beyond reputevictorfoxtrot has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by arjal
Hi victorfoxtrot

Who did you network with on Linkedin? HR ?

I am actually flying out in a couple of weeks to Calgary from the UK to see if I can secure a role in Engineering.
I came out initially on a visitor visa in July 2010 and was lucky to interview with several companies. Although I didn't get the roles I went for, the interviewers did accept my requests to connect on linkedin. The way I viewed it was that I was staying in contact with them, so that when I was eligible I could get in contact. And I did. Although I didn't land a job in my chosen field, one of my contacts actually put me in touch with two of his counterparts at rival companies who I met and discussed roles with. They were not HR people, but the people I'd be reporting to if you see what I mean. You could try making contact with HR people on Linkedin although your success rate will largely depend on whether they want unsolicited attempts to connect. A good starting point is to search your current bank of UK contacts and see if any link you to Canadian companies. Also if you are aware of any Canadian companies that your current role in the UK links you too? Good luck. I even know someone whose Realtor was very well connected....they usually are, and they put the word out and made their resume available and they eventually landed a job that way.
Old May 6th 2012, 9:57 am
Just Joined

BOBDEL2020 is an unknown quantity at this point

I am an ACCA and CGA too with PR and moving over from the uK in August. With over 7+ years experience in the banking and Financial Services. Your comments and advices here are invaluable. Thanks to all who have responded/replied to the original tread. Just to say I am coming to Calgary.

More advices are welcome
Old May 6th 2012, 1:18 pm

or4ngecrush is an unknown quantity at this point

I just got an email back from Scotiabank saying I wasn't successful in my Application.. I was pleased to get an email but I applied February 2011.
Old May 6th 2012, 6:18 pm
ZIG
Forum Regular

Had a telephonic interview on Friday for a position applied on 29 April, also a online test was taken by a company on Friday as well (applied on 3rd May).

In total applied 31 jobs in last two weeks with most of them having closing date after 10th May.

So things have started moving ....

Wish me good luck please ....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.