Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Higher National Diploma (HND) Mechanical Engineering

Higher National Diploma (HND) Mechanical Engineering

Old Apr 24th 2018, 9:01 am
Just Joined

Goody86 has much to be proud ofGoody86 has much to be proud ofGoody86 has much to be proud ofGoody86 has much to be proud ofGoody86 has much to be proud ofGoody86 has much to be proud ofGoody86 has much to be proud ofGoody86 has much to be proud ofGoody86 has much to be proud ofGoody86 has much to be proud ofGoody86 has much to be proud of
Default Higher National Diploma (HND) Mechanical Engineering

Does anyone know if this UK qualification is recognised in Nova Scotia please?

I could do a 2 year part time degree (equivalent to one year full time) to 'top up' to a full Bachelors Degree (BEng) in a university in England, as it would be recognised as Accredited Prior Learning.

In the UK it's a a recognised qualification in it's own right.

I guess my main questions are:

1. Is it recognised as a qualification, or is there the equivalent.
2. Could I 'top up' to a full degree in a Canadian Uni, in the same way as I would here?

Thanks!
Old Apr 24th 2018, 2:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

Engineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Higher National Diploma (HND) Mechanical Engineering

It would most likely be considered similar to an associates degree which are for 2 years of college level education here in North America (I think). They are more common in USA. They are also mostly in the 'applied' subjects i.e applied sciences, applied arts etc.

Remember that most North American most bachelors degrees are 4 years so whilst you would most likely be able to top up in Canada you may be looking at 3-4 years part time opposed to 2 in the UK.

Best bet would be to ring some of the admissions offices at Canadian universities (good engineering universities include Queens, McGill, UBC and UOA) and ask them about what sort of prior credit they would give you for a HND.

Last edited by Engineer_abroad; Apr 24th 2018 at 2:30 pm.
Old Apr 24th 2018, 2:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

Paul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Higher National Diploma (HND) Mechanical Engineering

Originally Posted by Goody86
Does anyone know if this UK qualification is recognised in Nova Scotia please?

I could do a 2 year part time degree (equivalent to one year full time) to 'top up' to a full Bachelors Degree (BEng) in a university in England, as it would be recognised as Accredited Prior Learning.

In the UK it's a a recognised qualification in it's own right.

I guess my main questions are:

1. Is it recognised as a qualification, or is there the equivalent.
2. Could I 'top up' to a full degree in a Canadian Uni, in the same way as I would here?

Thanks!

Hi there,

I have a Higher National Certificate (HNC) in Mechanical Engineering, I used a company in Toronto to get my British qualification equivalised into a Canadian one.... my HNC was assessed to be the equivalent of a 3 year Ontario Diploma in Mechanical Engineering....with certification to back this up, so in answer to your question, yes it will be a qualification in its own right (albeit equivalised) I'd imagine your HND would be a step higher, whatever that would be in Canadian terms. Nova Scotia may have their own provincial version.

The name of the company is World Education Services, based in Toronto. I believe they deal with converting other countries qualifications to Canadian equivalent, regardless of province.

Hope this gives you a start.

Cheers,

Paul.