Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

High Taxes - How do you make up for it?

Wikiposts

High Taxes - How do you make up for it?

Old Oct 21st 2005, 1:17 am
Seasoned Maritimer

Tangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: High Taxes - How do you make up for it?

Originally Posted by Cowtown
I think you said it. I just said many of the IT knowledge base left the country...you made the judgement.
No I didn't say it, as you can see there is a ? mark at the end of the sentence. This implies that I am asking a question, not stating a fact that I feel has been stated by someone else i.e. yourself. So just to clear that one up, I was asking a question not stating anything of the sort.

Cheers Cowtown.

Paul.
Old Oct 21st 2005, 1:32 am
dbd
Forum Regular

dbd has a spectacular aura aboutdbd has a spectacular aura aboutdbd has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by flashj
well lets see now,
first, lets suggest we all work in the black market under the table and off the record [T4], not madness but clearly not a smart suggestion especially not one to put in such an open medium as the internet.[there gonna come a knockin]............................[I hear noises] ......
That's not what I suggested at all. A T4 is a form issued to people paid a wage or a salary; permanent employees. There are lots of other types of workers, for example, self-employed contractors, business owners and those who live on royalties. Everyone is better off than the person on a T4.

2nd, suggesting you not allow the spouse to work is clearly bordering on the edge, where's my dinner woman and what have you been doing all day!!......[..I still hear noises and now my head hurts]......
Blimey, there's a lot of dim witted literalists here. "Don't allow" was rather arch but the point is that a spouse (of any sex) is, from a tax standpoint, more valuable at home than in the work place. A couple of spouses is even better.

3rd, How silly of me, Of course my dinners not ready you have been driving around in that 100% [free car] all day the one we can afford on our single family income......... [Bonkers] ......
I'm not sure what you think is bonkers about that, we have several cars and write off one as a business expense rather than attempting to apportion the usage of each of them between business and other.

4th,
dont we pay tax on food/drink/ horses and boats or are we using the black market barter system again. Oh and that mistress you suggest we all take will save tons of dosh.......
My point there was that one has little scope to convert tax money into cash in pocket (there are schemes to do that but you need to have a huge tax liability before they pay, it may be worth $50,000/yr to reduce tax from $200,000/yr to $100,000/yr but it's obviously not worth doing if your income is only $50,000). Instead one can convert the tax dollars into goods and services suited to one's lifestyle. This only works, of course, if one values the sorts of things one can write off.

Divorces are free dont ya know....... [stark raving loonie.] ......
HoHo! Legal and accounting fees to reach the point of two lawyers being ready to discuss our case will be about $80,000. The major reason why I have lived apart from my spouse for fifteen years without divorcing is that I can't pay over $100,000 in fees without one or the other of us losing our house.

Of course the final nail in that ever so slightly warped coffin of yours is the mere thought of allowing ones rug rats to bunk an education so we can cradle them until they are bald and menopausal, it is quite simply time for a frontal lobotomy, Hope u enjoy your day, keep smiling, and remember there's only 2 sure things in life.........Death and taxes, cant remember who said that but they were bang on......
A closer reading of my post would show you that I have not chosen that course. I'm shelling out about $25,000/yr in tuition and related fees just like everyone else who has a couple of kids of college age. Nonetheless, that is a tax minimisation strategy I know people follow.

These are some ideas to reduce the direct tax burden legally. Most of them I've stumbled upon by accident; no one in his or her right mind would collect spouses, deductible or not. Getting paid in cash and not declaring it reduces the tax rate by a greater amount but has the snag that eventually it'll result in jail.

Last edited by dbd; Oct 21st 2005 at 1:35 am.
Old Oct 21st 2005, 1:40 am
Cowtown

Originally Posted by Tangram
No I didn't say it, as you can see there is a ? mark at the end of the sentence. This implies that I am asking a question, not stating a fact that I feel has been stated by someone else i.e. yourself. So just to clear that one up, I was asking a question not stating anything of the sort.

Cheers Cowtown.

Paul.

The question mark didnt help me - I assumed it was a rhetorical question where you had already made the judgement!

Old Oct 21st 2005, 1:41 am
Seasoned Maritimer

Tangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: High Taxes - How do you make up for it?

The question mark didnt help me - I assumed it was a rhetorical question where you had already made the judgement!
That's ok mate, no worries, it was a genuine question.
Old Oct 21st 2005, 2:10 am
Cowtown

Originally Posted by Tangram
That's ok mate, no worries, it was a genuine question.
Lets go back then - no I didnt say it - but you can if you want to!

Old Oct 21st 2005, 2:13 am
Seasoned Maritimer

Smile Re: High Taxes - How do you make up for it?

Lets go back then - no I didnt say it - but you can if you want to!
Sorry it's Friday afternoon, I don't have to energy to rattle sabres with anyone at this point.
Old Oct 21st 2005, 2:48 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Biiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond repute

HSBC are a British bank. Hard to believe given the name, but true.

Originally Posted by dbd
Surely HSBC are "the Chinese", a bank, a loan company and a mortgage company, all at once. Perhaps they are the root of all evil and I've been unfairly maligning The Thatcher Government all these years.
Old Oct 21st 2005, 3:08 am
dbd
Forum Regular

dbd has a spectacular aura aboutdbd has a spectacular aura aboutdbd has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by Biiiiink
HSBC are a British bank. Hard to believe given the name, but true.
Oh, I suppose the name is a relic of Empire. Shame, it all fitted together so neatly.
Old Oct 21st 2005, 3:25 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Biiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd
Oh, I suppose the name is a relic of Empire. Shame, it all fitted together so neatly.
Indeed, founded by a Scot I think...the logo is supposed to be a representation of the St Andrews cross. Depends how drunk and colourblind you are I suppose
Old Oct 21st 2005, 3:30 am
BE Enthusiast

SANDRAPAUL is just really niceSANDRAPAUL is just really niceSANDRAPAUL is just really niceSANDRAPAUL is just really niceSANDRAPAUL is just really niceSANDRAPAUL is just really niceSANDRAPAUL is just really niceSANDRAPAUL is just really nice

Indeed, founded by a Scot I think...the logo is supposed to be a representation of the St Andrews cross. Depends how drunk and colourblind you are I suppose
HSBC is formally Midland Bank. Renamed I guess to give it a more multi-cultural feel. I am only guessing on the latter. And yes and no to the question is HSBC 'China'.

Yes it puts a lot of investment into China that should be UK bound. But no China is not ruled by HSBC. Joint effort to sell cheap bras in the Midlands, makes more money for HSBC which means more investment in China, Asia, India, etc etc. Why not....labour is after all cheap.
Old Oct 21st 2005, 3:42 am
dbd
Forum Regular

I'd guess that HSBC bought out Midland but, no matter, that's two posts mentioning bras on one thread, SANDRAPAUL. Bras seem to me to be vastly more interesting than banks, where are you on the Ipex ? Would you concur that the engineering is a step backwards from the Miracle ?
Old Oct 21st 2005, 3:43 am
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

HSBC is in fact an asian organisation. It took over the Midland sometime in the early 90s. HSBC although founded by a Scot, was initially established in Hong Kong and then in Shanghai shortly afterwards as the name suggests. But anyway...lets get back to those Bras!
Old Oct 21st 2005, 4:07 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

No, HSBC is British. Don't confuse their acquisition of Midland with anything.

Wikipedia explains things more succinctly than HSBC's own website, which has about 20 billion different sections on their history. That's one section for every penny they charged me in student overdraft fees
Old Oct 21st 2005, 4:12 am
BE Enthusiast

SANDRAPAUL is just really niceSANDRAPAUL is just really niceSANDRAPAUL is just really niceSANDRAPAUL is just really niceSANDRAPAUL is just really niceSANDRAPAUL is just really niceSANDRAPAUL is just really niceSANDRAPAUL is just really nice

Originally Posted by iaink
Bras!
Knickers!
Old Oct 21st 2005, 4:13 am
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

No, HSBC is British. Don't confuse their acquisition of Midland with anything.

Wikipedia explains things more succinctly than HSBC's own website, which has about 20 billion different sections on their history. That's one section for every penny they charged me in student overdraft fees
From the Wiki article...

"1865 - The Hongkong and Shanghai Banking Corporation Limited is established in Shanghai to finance the growing trade between China and Europe. It is incorporated in Hong Kong by special dispensation from the British Treasury under the Hongkong and Shanghai Bank Ordinance 1866."

"Before moving the headquarters to London in 1991, it was headquartered in Hong Kong."

"70% of its earnings come from outside the UK. Nearly 40% of its earnings is from operations in Hong Kong"

It may now be British, but if you were a bank headquartered in HK in the run up to the Chinese handover, I think you might consider moving to a more stable neighbourhood too. HSBCs history is all rooted in the far east, its "british" in name only.

Last edited by iaink; Oct 21st 2005 at 4:18 am.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.