High Park Toronto

Wikiposts

High Park Toronto

Old Jul 19th 2008, 12:17 pm
Account Closed

iananddave is an unknown quantity at this point
Default High Park Toronto

Hey all,

Narrowed down our desired location - High Park Toronto. Anyone live there or know of the neighborhood. Any first hand experience would be helpful. A few blocks from Bloor St West and within a 5 minute walk to Dundas West TTC.

Ian and Dave
Old Jul 19th 2008, 12:22 pm
Elusive dreamer

gotoronto has much to be proud ofgotoronto has much to be proud ofgotoronto has much to be proud ofgotoronto has much to be proud ofgotoronto has much to be proud ofgotoronto has much to be proud ofgotoronto has much to be proud ofgotoronto has much to be proud ofgotoronto has much to be proud ofgotoronto has much to be proud ofgotoronto has much to be proud of
Default Re: High Park Toronto

Relatively safe and full of families and professional couples. Very different from the party atmosphere downtown!

Apparently, rentals are affordable, but buying property is not an option for everyone. Friend of mine tried and could not find anything in their price range to buy - so they moved further out to Etobicoke.

Last edited by gotoronto; Jul 19th 2008 at 12:24 pm.
Old Jul 19th 2008, 12:43 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

My business partner lives there. He backs on to a Bare Naked Lady.

I suppose the only downside is that it's historically dry. I believe it would be legal to sell alcohol there now, in a bar or restaurant, but I don't know that anyone does.
Old Jul 19th 2008, 12:44 pm
Account Closed

Hi gotoronto,

We have found a loft apartment that we like and putting in the rental offer. It has great views of the park and lake.

We've been to Toronto many a time but never out here.

It seems a nice fit - Accessible for my partner to go via the TTC to get into downtown (Wellington) for work and the live/work environment of the loft is appealing as I will be working from home.

Thanks for the reassurance

Ian

Last edited by iananddave; Jul 19th 2008 at 12:53 pm.
Old Jul 19th 2008, 12:51 pm
Account Closed

My business partner lives there. He backs on to a Bare Naked Lady. Which one? It can't be the one who got caught with coke because he's in NYC?

I suppose the only downside is that it's historically dry. I believe it would be legal to sell alcohol there now, in a bar or restaurant, but I don't know that anyone does. Isn't it near the Polish Village - telling me the Poles don't drink? hahahaha
Old Jul 19th 2008, 1:17 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iananddave
My business partner lives there. He backs on to a Bare Naked Lady. Which one? It can't be the one who got caught with coke because he's in NYC? :
That one's not in NYC but Syracuse or Rochester or some other upstate hell hole. Still, it doesn't preclude him having a house in High Park.

I suppose the only downside is that it's historically dry. I believe it would be legal to sell alcohol there now, in a bar or restaurant, but I don't know that anyone does. Isn't it near the Polish Village - telling me the Poles don't drink? hahahaha
"Due to a condition in the Howards' conveyance forbidding the consumption of alcohol in the park, High Park is the last "dry" area of the City of Toronto, and its seasonal restaurant and banquet hall is one of the few unlicensed premises in the city."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High_Park

Toronto is quite a conservative place and the west end is the more so.
Old Jul 19th 2008, 1:19 pm
Assimilated Pauper

Still, it's nice. Lots of dog poisoning lately but that could happen anywhere.
Old Jul 20th 2008, 2:10 am
JLT
BE Enthusiast

Location: Sutton Coldfield UK until I return to Toronto 2009 or earlier!!
JLT has a brilliant futureJLT has a brilliant futureJLT has a brilliant futureJLT has a brilliant futureJLT has a brilliant futureJLT has a brilliant futureJLT has a brilliant futureJLT has a brilliant future

Hey all,

Narrowed down our desired location - High Park Toronto. Anyone live there or know of the neighborhood. Any first hand experience would be helpful. A few blocks from Bloor St West and within a 5 minute walk to Dundas West TTC.

Ian and Dave
Good for you, nice area. We would have chosen High Park or The Beach.
Best of luck in your move..
Old Jul 29th 2008, 2:12 am
Just Joined

KJay is an unknown quantity at this point

Hey all,

Ian and Dave
Hello Ian and Dave; I found you by accident, trying to respond to a member who contacted me. I am new to the site and learning, but I know High Park through and through. Can I send you some info directly? ( disclosure - I work in real estate but I am a human being first, I promise.) KJ
Old Jul 29th 2008, 4:52 am
NEMESIS

dazzlerdaz has a reputation beyond reputedazzlerdaz has a reputation beyond reputedazzlerdaz has a reputation beyond reputedazzlerdaz has a reputation beyond reputedazzlerdaz has a reputation beyond reputedazzlerdaz has a reputation beyond reputedazzlerdaz has a reputation beyond reputedazzlerdaz has a reputation beyond reputedazzlerdaz has a reputation beyond reputedazzlerdaz has a reputation beyond reputedazzlerdaz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by KJay
Hello Ian and Dave; I found you by accident, trying to respond to a member who contacted me. I am new to the site and learning, but I know High Park through and through. Can I send you some info directly? ( disclosure - I work in real estate but I am a human being first, I promise.) KJ
What are the rental prices like in that area ? as i still havnt made up my mind where we are going to move to yet ! (was looking at The Beaches !)
Thanks
PS Good luck Ian and Dave and dont forget to let us know what you think of the area You guys must be so exited
PPS Where abouts in London are you living ?
Old Jul 29th 2008, 5:11 am
Assimilated Pauper

Originally Posted by dazzlerdaz
What are the rental prices like in that area ? as i still havnt made up my mind where we are going to move to yet ! (was looking at The Beaches !)
Thanks
PS Good luck Ian and Dave and dont forget to let us know what you think of the area You guys must be so exited
PPS Where abouts in London are you living ?
The Beach is a good area but you must get a place with parking, even then you will get blocked in during the jazz festival.
Old Jul 29th 2008, 5:17 am
NEMESIS

dazzlerdaz has a reputation beyond reputedazzlerdaz has a reputation beyond reputedazzlerdaz has a reputation beyond reputedazzlerdaz has a reputation beyond reputedazzlerdaz has a reputation beyond reputedazzlerdaz has a reputation beyond reputedazzlerdaz has a reputation beyond reputedazzlerdaz has a reputation beyond reputedazzlerdaz has a reputation beyond reputedazzlerdaz has a reputation beyond reputedazzlerdaz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
The Beach is a good area but you must get a place with parking, even then you will get blocked in during the jazz festival.
What Jazz festival ? LOL Its my wife that wants to move to that area as she says its not too expensive and it will be great for our young son
what do i know ?
Old Jul 29th 2008, 5:20 am
Assimilated Pauper

Originally Posted by dazzlerdaz
What Jazz festival ? LOL Its my wife that wants to move to that area as she says its not too expensive and it will be great for our young son
what do i know ?
Once a year they close the main street to traffic for a week and fill it with bands. Nominally it's a jazz festival but there's all sorts of bands.

I know the are well as I lived there for years, my daughter still does and my bank's there so I go every pay day. It's a good area for young families but, everyone, absolutely everyone, has a dog so it's a bit like Altman's Paris.
Old Jul 29th 2008, 5:30 am
NEMESIS

Originally Posted by dbd33
Once a year they close the main street to traffic for a week and fill it with bands. Nominally it's a jazz festival but there's all sorts of bands.

I know the are well as I lived there for years, my daughter still does and my bank's there so I go every pay day. It's a good area for young families but, everyone, absolutely everyone, has a dog so it's a bit like Altman's Paris.
My little lad hates dogs At least it should be a good place to get over his phobia
Old Jul 29th 2008, 12:29 pm
NEMESIS

Originally Posted by KJay
Send me some