Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Hifx/British Bank

Hifx/British Bank

Old Dec 5th 2007, 1:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

zmartin is just really nicezmartin is just really nicezmartin is just really nicezmartin is just really nicezmartin is just really nicezmartin is just really nicezmartin is just really nicezmartin is just really nicezmartin is just really nicezmartin is just really nicezmartin is just really nice
Default Hifx/British Bank

How does everyone get all their money transferred over?

Our UK bank (LloydsTSB) will only allow us to transfer 10,000.00 pounds at a time unless we go into the branch and specifically request more, a bit difficult when you're 4,500 miles away. :curse:

How has everyone else got around this problem, if at all?

Zoe M. x
Old Dec 5th 2007, 2:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

TrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Hifx/British Bank

Originally Posted by zmartin
How does everyone get all their money transferred over?

Our UK bank (LloydsTSB) will only allow us to transfer 10,000.00 pounds at a time unless we go into the branch and specifically request more, a bit difficult when you're 4,500 miles away. :curse:

How has everyone else got around this problem, if at all?

Zoe M. x
Use HIFX - I transferred the proceeds of my house sale in one go with them.
Old Dec 5th 2007, 2:07 pm
Procrastinating

Hobbess has much to be proud ofHobbess has much to be proud ofHobbess has much to be proud ofHobbess has much to be proud ofHobbess has much to be proud ofHobbess has much to be proud ofHobbess has much to be proud ofHobbess has much to be proud ofHobbess has much to be proud ofHobbess has much to be proud ofHobbess has much to be proud of

I did multiple transfers from Nationwide. They were the same in that the max for one transaction was £10,000. We went through HIFX for the transfer and just sent them the amount we wanted to send in lumps of £10,000.
Old Dec 5th 2007, 2:09 pm
OMG - I'm back

nivlad will become famous soon enoughnivlad will become famous soon enough

I thought was slightly more than 10k per day. Anyway, what I did was tell hifx this and then send the largest amount possible on consecutive days. I think I sent the max possible over three days. You could also use the debit card but I don't now what limit Lloyds put on that. Anyway, send the money over little by little can be a good thing with the changes in exchange rate recently. Although, I tried to send 1000 pound yesterday, for xmas, with HiFX and they quoted me the tourist rate of 1.95. Good luck
Old Dec 5th 2007, 3:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

Iain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond repute

HIFX seem fine with larger amounts at a pay-off rate of 10,000 a day (I'm also with Lloyds and that's what I had to do).

Just tell them on the phone that's the best you can manage, doesn't seem to be a problem - as long as it's clear you're paying as fast as you can I don't think the three days thing is a hard rule!

Cheers, Iain
Old Dec 5th 2007, 3:38 pm

AmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Iain Mc
HIFX seem fine with larger amounts at a pay-off rate of 10,000 a day (I'm also with Lloyds and that's what I had to do).

Just tell them on the phone that's the best you can manage, doesn't seem to be a problem - as long as it's clear you're paying as fast as you can I don't think the three days thing is a hard rule!

Cheers, Iain
We also had to do this with HiFx - HSBC would not allow more than 10k either! HiFx probably come across this on a daily basis so I would not worry about it.
Old Dec 5th 2007, 7:16 pm

moondevil will become famous soon enoughmoondevil will become famous soon enough

i spoke with local guy at our branch and he advised that dont deal with the standard staff (we bank with lloydstsb)

He has advised when we are ready to transfer he will beat hifix rate and we can transfer the full amount no problems, no min amount

Contact the branch of where the account is held and ask to speak to an account manager, that normally works

Gill