British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Canada (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/)
-   -   HiFX (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/hifx-607711/)

Jingsamichty May 7th 2009 12:25 pm

HiFX

Folks,

Does anyone on here use HiFX for regular money transfers?

I normally remit CAD to GBP each month, using the telephone broking service. Recently I had emails advising that HiFX was now called Currency Online and giving me a temporary password for the service.

I called up HiFX and was told that the service was legitimate, but I just want to check if anyone else has safely used this new online service before I commit money away by a few mouse clicks. Don't want it ending up in some Lagos account!

Thanks in advance.

SambaDeAmigo May 7th 2009 2:51 pm

Re: HiFX

Originally Posted by Jingsamichty (Post 7549248)
Folks,

I normally remit CAD to GBP each month, using the telephone broking service. Recently I had emails advising that HiFX was now called Currency Online and giving me a temporary password for the service.

I called up HiFX and was told that the service was legitimate, but I just want to check if anyone else has safely used this new online service before I commit money away by a few mouse clicks. Don't want it ending up in some Lagos account!

Thanks in advance.

They are a weird bunch for sure. I applied for an account about 2 weeks ago. They kept calling me everyday to ask for a scan of my passport and proof of address. I finally sent them what they asked a week ago and haven't heard anything since.

I'll ask about the name change when I call them next

hitchw May 7th 2009 3:41 pm

you should both try rationalfx, always found that they offer better rates than hifx and the guy i deal with is a diamond. does all he can to help me out and notifies me whenever there is a move in the markets that could affect me. be happy to pass on his details.

will

Rob_999 May 7th 2009 6:13 pm

Folks,

Thanks in advance.

I've never used them, but did sign up to recieve the daily email with fx rates. As of last week I now seem to get two emails - one form HiFX and one from Currency Online. I expect they're the same company, but who knows...

I've used Customs House in the past - they seem to do a good job.

Geordielass May 8th 2009 1:28 pm

Folks,

Thanks in advance.

Hi, we have just ordered some Euros with them online and they sent me an e-mail and a phone message to call them. When I called they said they were just checking the info and that the money would be delivered to my door. They seem to do spot security checks, and seem ok upto now, but I havent transfered money with them yet.

Expat Andy May 8th 2009 8:46 pm

I haven't used the new new currency online service, but I have used HIFX numerous times in the last year, transferring CAD to GBP, and have always found them to be very efficient.

phat-dave May 9th 2009 1:05 pm

Originally Posted by ward naughton (Post 7556376)
<deleted post from new member snipped>

any evidence or reputable sources, ward?

while i certainly appreciate the heads-up, im always sceptical of one post wonders.....

Alanandson May 9th 2009 10:50 pm

Interesting.. do you have a link to any further information?

I have used HiFX recently to transfer money from my UK account to my Canadian account. (Amount was less than £10000 so used the online service.)

Money arrived no problem and fairly quickly, (2-3 days).

I've only used them once, but spoken to them on the phone a few times and haven't had any issues.

bzriddell May 10th 2009 10:00 am

Over in the UK HiFx is a registered MSB with HM Revenue & Customs (Reg No: 12131222).
HiFX Financial Services Ltd-Authorised and regulated by the Financial Services Authority (FRN No: 446302).

HiFX Insurance Services Ltd-Authorised and regulated by the Financial Services Authority (FRN No: 313199).

I have used them a number of times for transfers into our Canadian account, no problems, just cannot understand why CIBC charges to receive electronic transfers

Posidrive May 11th 2009 3:42 pm

Originally Posted by ward naughton (Post 7556376)
<deleted post snipped>

What is the source for this? I have used them many times over the past 4 years without any problem and was planning to use them again soon for a large sum of money. Now I'm nervous.

Rob_999 May 11th 2009 3:59 pm

Originally Posted by bzriddell (Post 7558192)
just cannot understand why CIBC charges to receive electronic transfers

Go and speak to CIBC.
I asked my bank (TD) the same thing, turns out that you can receive funds via "bank transfer", which appears to be on different from a "wire transfer" except there are no fees. All very strange, but have done this a couple of times when using Customs House fx brokers...

Sue May 11th 2009 5:02 pm

That was ward naughton's first post on this site, hence you have to wonder about his/her motives. HiFX have a vendor forum on this site so I suggest if any of you have any concerns or questions you should post in there and I'm sure someone from their company would be happy to answer your questions.

Sue

lmartin999 May 11th 2009 6:17 pm

I transferred $15000 CDN online last week using the hifx online service (havent heard anything about their new name!). I ordered it at 4pm Thursday and it was in my BMO account on Friday pm. Used it for a condo deposit on Monday :) No charges or problems at all either end.

bzriddell May 11th 2009 7:47 pm

Originally Posted by Sue (Post 7561966)
That was ward naughton's first post on this site, hence you have to wonder about his/her motives.
Sue

I must admit I was suspicious of the comments made and wonder if there was an ulterior motive especially as HiFX here in the UK check out with all the relevant financial authorities. They are certainly a company I have used and will use again when our house sale is complete and we are transferring money

nikki dreaming May 11th 2009 7:55 pm

I have used them a couple of times for transfers from uk to Canada, no problems:thumbup: