Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Hi New Member. Also have Q about Car Mechanics

Hi New Member. Also have Q about Car Mechanics

Old Jan 26th 2011, 6:13 pm
Account Closed

jericho is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Hi New Member. Also have Q about Car Mechanics

My brother was offered 3 or 4 jobs when he came over to visit last year. For some crazy reason, he decided not to pursue it in the end, but financially it would have been very good for him. I recall one dealership offering around $35-40 dollars an hour, which is more than double his UK wage.
Old Jan 26th 2011, 8:21 pm
Forum Regular

MrP77 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks Piff Poff, I will check out that site! Did you guys visit Alberta and Ontario before deciding??
Jericho, That is a lot better money than here! It's a shame your brother changed his mind! Did he go round garages while on holiday?
Old Jan 26th 2011, 8:50 pm

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MrP77
Thanks Piff Poff, I will check out that site! Did you guys visit Alberta and Ontario before deciding??
Jericho, That is a lot better money than here! It's a shame your brother changed his mind! Did he go round garages while on holiday?
We spent a whole 5 nights in Ontario (3 in Toronto and 2 in Niagra) and 15 days in Alberta/BC.

We stopped in at some garages whilst in Alberta and hit pay dirt The money is better - everything is bigger and heavier though
Old Jan 27th 2011, 10:34 am
Forum Regular

Sorry for asking more questions Piff Poff, but do you mind telling me what is better about Alberta? What you did'nt like about Ontario?? Thank you!!
Old Jan 27th 2011, 2:32 pm

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute

To be honest, I think it was because we had a great holiday. Toronto was great too and the beginning of our dream, it was the place that started the whole idea.

Also the job offer was in Alberta, the mountains are amazing and I think the weather may be better (for us) here, less rain, less to virtually no freezing rain, I don't like that, we had one night of the stuff last winter, it would be enough to make me pack my bags, alright we may get minus stupid more often but it's not for long really.

We didn't like the 'feel' of BC much, yes lovely to visit but Alberta is more comfortable for us. Alberta also has no PST, just GST.
Old Jan 27th 2011, 2:43 pm
Account Closed

jericho is an unknown quantity at this point

Yup, we just drove round to 10 or so different dealerships with his CV. Some interviewed him on the spot, others said come back later on, but there was a lot of interest, even though he didnt have his red seal etc.
Old Jan 28th 2011, 7:01 am
Forum Regular

thesidds has a spectacular aura aboutthesidds has a spectacular aura aboutthesidds has a spectacular aura about

Hi. my OH is a motor mechanic, we came out to Alberta and BC in 2008 on a recce, once we reached the Okanagan, we knew it was where be wanted to live. Hubby went into every garage and dealership we came across, handing out resume's, he had a very possitive response, but they all wanted him "now" and weren't prepared to go through the red tape of TWP applications. Once back in the UK he did lots of follow up calls and also cold called every little garage. Eventually a small family run place, who had been looking for a qualified mechanic for 18 months took the plunge and within 3 months he had a TWP and we were off to Canada. by going through the PNP route we were permenat residents within 10months.
We've been here for almost 2 years now and it's been amazing. After getting used to the lingo OH challenged the test and got his Red Seal. He works for an incredible family, who have all become very good friends.
Anything is possible!!!! My advice would be not to base your destination purely on work . . .you're a tradesman, you can work anywhere!!! If you are going to move half way around the world, make sure it's worth it and choose your destination wisely.
Please feel free to PM if you have any questions
Old Jan 28th 2011, 12:05 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks so much for that thesidds we need to do our homework, but are leaning towards Toronto just now! Okanagan looks beautifull and liked the look of Kelowna! With 4 kids we don't want to make any mistakes!!
Thanks Jericho, we will def do the rounds of the garages when we come on a reccy.....once we decide on a place to start that is
Thanks Piff Poff, is that Tax GST, PST?? whats the difference??
Old Jan 28th 2011, 1:34 pm

Thanks so much for that thesidds we need to do our homework, but are leaning towards Toronto just now! Okanagan looks beautifull and liked the look of Kelowna! With 4 kids we don't want to make any mistakes!!
Thanks Jericho, we will def do the rounds of the garages when we come on a reccy.....once we decide on a place to start that is
Thanks Piff Poff, is that Tax GST, PST?? whats the difference??
Yeah, you get Government Sales Tax, Provincial Sales Tax, and there is HST which is I think Harmonised Sales Tax, we only pay GST in Alberta @ 5%, something to do with Alberta being a wealthy Province, due to the oil I suppose.
Old Jan 29th 2011, 3:23 pm
Forum Regular

Oh right! I will keep that in mind thanks Piff Poff!!
Old Jan 30th 2011, 1:10 pm
Just Joined

tech1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Richyv26
Hi mr P, just thought i'd give you an idea of my experience working out here as a technician ( been working as a tech out here since december at an Acura dealer which is basically posh Honda ). If you are not already aware most dealers out here use the flat rate pay system which is NOT salary based but effectively all price work. To put it simply if there is no work you will NOT get paid anything even if your at work for 8 hours, but don't be discouraged because if there is work you can make a killing! i worked for a Citroen dealer in the uk so i had to learn the Honda product but in my second week i made 15 hours in an 8 hour day ( $25 an hour or £16-£17 an hour at current exchange rate ) the techs who are already there average 12-14 hours per day ( $300-$350 ). To put it simply if your a good tech in the uk you will do well out here even under the flat rate system providing you are at a busy dealer, however january and feburuary can be quiet so you may need to budget. In relation to the technician licence (needed to trade as a tech in ontario) you need to go to a work apprenticeship office out here for them to assess your qualifications and work experience. You will need to bring a letter from your current or previous employer showing your job title, duties and how long you've been doing the job. You will also need proof of your qualifications and if you present this information you will have no problem being accepted to write the test. The test is multi-choice, 125 questions, pass mark is 70% or 87 correct answers and is based primarily on american vehicles so questions about rear wheel drive diff's and stuff. If you want any more info about the test or the job let me know because i've only recently taken the test in November so i should be able to help you because there are some silly questions in there. Preparation is key! if you revise their terminology you should be okay, i'm in Toronto, Ontario by the way.
Any questions mate don't hesitate to ask, hope this helps you out.
Appreciated rich a very usefull advise and its true, i did same thing.