Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Hi New Member. Also have Q about Car Mechanics

Hi New Member. Also have Q about Car Mechanics

Old Jan 25th 2011, 12:48 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Hi New Member. Also have Q about Car Mechanics

Originally Posted by Piff Poff
A garage would be very foolish to charge 3 hours labour if they have only physically had the car in their possession for 1.5 hours
This is unfortunate because it means they can never return the car in a timely fashion. An oil change, for example, at the VW dealer, is an hour's work so, if you have the oil changed there you have to stand for 45 minutes, knowing that the work is finished, while the clock runs up to the billed duration.
Old Jan 25th 2011, 2:34 pm

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
This is unfortunate because it means they can never return the car in a timely fashion. An oil change, for example, at the VW dealer, is an hour's work so, if you have the oil changed there you have to stand for 45 minutes, knowing that the work is finished, while the clock runs up to the billed duration.
A lot of places have windows - you can tell well a tech has finished the job, when you see they are working on another one and your car is all put back together. A lot of places have a minimum labour charge of 1 hour anyway, which I think is fair.
Old Jan 25th 2011, 2:36 pm

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MrP77
Hi Richyv26, thanks for your reply and the info! I had read something about it but did'nt quite understand the terms so thanks for that!
Is it possible to do the licence test while over on a holiday? Also can you do it without a job offer? Would that make it easier to get a job if I was already licenced? Piff Poff gave me a website to check out, but that was for Alberta...do they differ a lot from province to province?
Did you get over on a PR or twp?? Sorry for all the questions, just nice to know that there is work out there! and it is all still possible even when mechanics are not on the ''list''
Thanks for your time!!
As answered previously:

If you come to sit the exam (which you have to get permission to do) then you will be given a 3 month TWP and HAVE to pass the exam in that time frame.

Google red seal and licensing bodies for alternative provinces
Old Jan 25th 2011, 3:33 pm
Forum Regular

MrP77 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thankyou Piff Poff I know you answered that but wondered what Richy did in Toronto, I will google that! Thanks for your time again!!
Old Jan 26th 2011, 12:01 am

Thankyou Piff Poff I know you answered that but wondered what Richy did in Toronto, I will google that! Thanks for your time again!!
Thing is, you need to book the exam, so you have to prove you can take (challenge) the exam. If you have booked the exam, to take whilst on holiday, even if you have a return ticket, Immigration will see it as you are planning on working here, so they will either refuse entry or give you a three month work permit. My OH was lucky in the way he got the WP.

Our immigration consultant we were using told us he could take the exam (as a mock) with no problems and then get WP once we got the results - not so, results can take upto 3 months to arrive. There was lots of nail biting and what ifs and hurrying up in our household
Old Jan 26th 2011, 12:07 am
Meh

GavinR has much to be proud ofGavinR has much to be proud ofGavinR has much to be proud ofGavinR has much to be proud ofGavinR has much to be proud ofGavinR has much to be proud ofGavinR has much to be proud ofGavinR has much to be proud ofGavinR has much to be proud ofGavinR has much to be proud ofGavinR has much to be proud of

Thing is, you need to book the exam, so you have to prove you can take (challenge) the exam. If you have booked the exam, to take whilst on holiday, even if you have a return ticket, Immigration will see it as you are planning on working here, so they will either refuse entry or give you a three month work permit. My OH was lucky in the way he got the WP.

Our immigration consultant we were using told us he could take the exam (as a mock) with no problems and then get WP once we got the results - not so, results can take upto 3 months to arrive. There was lots of nail biting and what ifs and hurrying up in our household
Only if you tell immigration you're taking an exam. I just told them I was having a vacation, no problem.
Old Jan 26th 2011, 12:09 am

Originally Posted by GavinR
Only if you tell immigration you're taking an exam. I just told them I was having a vacation, no problem.
OH just told them he was having a vacation too, they asked him if he was sure about that He also showed his return tickets and asked please not to have a WP issued as he wasn't starting work.
Old Jan 26th 2011, 3:03 am
Meh

GavinR has much to be proud ofGavinR has much to be proud ofGavinR has much to be proud ofGavinR has much to be proud ofGavinR has much to be proud ofGavinR has much to be proud ofGavinR has much to be proud ofGavinR has much to be proud ofGavinR has much to be proud ofGavinR has much to be proud ofGavinR has much to be proud of

OH just told them he was having a vacation too, they asked him if he was sure about that He also showed his return tickets and asked please not to have a WP issued as he wasn't starting work.
I actually took the exam before I was issued a work permit, we were still in the process of applying for PR at the time.
Old Jan 26th 2011, 4:14 am

Originally Posted by GavinR
I actually took the exam before I was issued a work permit, we were still in the process of applying for PR at the time.
We were also in the process of applying for PR. OH came to Alberta to sit his exam BEFORE we were ready to move, he came on a 1 week trip. At immigration he was asked about the purpose of his trip, he replied vacation. The Officer asked what is the other reason you are visiting, he wasn't comfortable lying to the Officer, he was then directed to get a WP. He was issued one for 3 months and told he had to pass his exam in that time frame.
Old Jan 26th 2011, 7:36 am
Forum Regular

Thanks for that, so do I have to have a job offer to sit exam or is that irrelevant???
Thanks so much for your patience
Old Jan 26th 2011, 4:03 pm

Thanks for that, so do I have to have a job offer to sit exam or is that irrelevant???
Thanks so much for your patience
No I don't believe you do have to have an offer, you just have to be able to prove that you have enough hours, I know in Alberta they take your City and Guilds into consideration but then basically ignore the fact that you have it, hence the equivalency exam, we have heard along the grapevine that BC is different but not sure how true that is.
Old Jan 26th 2011, 4:17 pm
Forum Regular

Great Piff Poff thanks so much for that!! we need to settle on which province to go for then!!!
Old Jan 26th 2011, 4:21 pm

Have you been out on holidays before?
Old Jan 26th 2011, 5:05 pm
Forum Regular

No we havn't actually We have friends in Edmonton though, Which is why we thought of Alberta as he told us there is lots of jobs. They are both Canadian though and have no idea about immigration! We were planning on coming for a holiday in May, but nothing booked yet! We are now wondering if we should research Ontario, if there are more jobs there??
Old Jan 26th 2011, 5:40 pm

We initially thought about moving to Ontario, but fell in love with Alberta. I think it's something to do with the mountains Just today in the Red Deer Express there was an ad for a tech at a GM dealership - there have been several ads around here lately, have a look on www.jobbank.gc.ca for jobs (all over).

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.