Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Hi New Member. Also have Q about Car Mechanics

Hi New Member. Also have Q about Car Mechanics

Old Jan 21st 2011, 11:34 am
Forum Regular

MrP77 is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Hi New Member. Also have Q about Car Mechanics

Hi there, I have been reading this forum for a while and have finally registerd to seek advice from you all!
I (Mr P 33) live in Scoltand with my wife (Mrs P 32) and 4 kids (12,5,5 & 18mths) We have been thinking about Canada for a long time, but are only now seriously looking at how we can actually get there!
My Occupation (Car Mechanic) Is not on the list, So could anyone tell us, Is it a realistic dream to ever move to Canada?? I have read lots on getting a job and then being sponsored to get there, But is it possible for Car Mechanics to do it? Or are there plenty of Canadian Mechanics??? Is it likely that there will be a new list anytime soon? Im sure that Car Mechanics used to be on the list??
Hopefully someone can come along and answer some of our questions?? Sorry If we are posting this in the wrong part!! We are new please be gentle
Thanks in advance
Mr P
Old Jan 21st 2011, 12:16 pm
happy daisy

spankysparkle has much to be proud ofspankysparkle has much to be proud ofspankysparkle has much to be proud ofspankysparkle has much to be proud ofspankysparkle has much to be proud ofspankysparkle has much to be proud ofspankysparkle has much to be proud ofspankysparkle has much to be proud ofspankysparkle has much to be proud ofspankysparkle has much to be proud ofspankysparkle has much to be proud of
Default Re: New

Welcome to the Forum!
Unfortunately I can't answer any of your questions, but I'm sure someone with the know-how will be along shortly.
Meanwhile, have a search in the Wiki section (blue bar at the top of the page)
Old Jan 21st 2011, 1:57 pm
Sue
BE Co-Founder

Sue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Hi New Member. Also have Q about Car Mechanics

Hi MrP77,

Welcome to BE. I hope you enjoy being part of our community.

spankysparkle has given a great suggestion, you should check out the BE Wiki, it's contributed to by members and is jam packed with stuff about Canada. You will find it very useful.

The Concierges for the Canada forum are AmyDavid and The Aviator and they are around if you have any questions about navigating the forums.

We've also got some great moderators; Iaink and Christmasoompa who are here to help keep the discussions on track and our terrific spam fighters

So please don't hesitate to give the Concierges, the Moderators, or myself a shout anytime you have questions.

Sue
Old Jan 21st 2011, 4:27 pm

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MrP77
Hi there, I have been reading this forum for a while and have finally registerd to seek advice from you all!
I (Mr P 33) live in Scoltand with my wife (Mrs P 32) and 4 kids (12,5,5 & 18mths) We have been thinking about Canada for a long time, but are only now seriously looking at how we can actually get there!
My Occupation (Car Mechanic) Is not on the list, So could anyone tell us, Is it a realistic dream to ever move to Canada?? I have read lots on getting a job and then being sponsored to get there, But is it possible for Car Mechanics to do it? Or are there plenty of Canadian Mechanics??? Is it likely that there will be a new list anytime soon? Im sure that Car Mechanics used to be on the list??
Hopefully someone can come along and answer some of our questions?? Sorry If we are posting this in the wrong part!! We are new please be gentle
Thanks in advance
Mr P
Hi, we applied on the old SW route (it's all changed since then) but we had enough points and all that. In between time we came out on a reccy and OH got offered a job on the spot and yes we will do your LMO paperwork etc and it doesn't matter how long it takes there will be a job here for you. So we came out on TWP's and waited for PR that way, I do believe things are different now but it is still possible to do things that way.

Depending on which Province you move to, you will likely to have to sit an equivalency exam as City and Guilds is not recocgnised in some places (Alberta for sure). There are not enough car mechanics and good ones are sought after, a lot of them here are as OH says little more then production line workers specializing in their specific area and going into a panic if they get something a little different, even if they have been in the job for 20 years or more.

There are job adverts for mechanics in our area at the mo' however a lot of places don't bother advertising as there is no one out there to fill the positions, garages will even rehire someone they have fired just to fill a spot. Some things are very different aside from terminology, it's a big learning curve but there is opportunity to make shed loads (compared to the UK).

Good luck in your journey
Old Jan 21st 2011, 8:10 pm
Forum Regular

Thankyou for the warm welcome I have been reading the wiki a lot to take in but we are getting through it!
Thanks for your replies! and thankyou Piff Poff great to know it can still be done and that there is still a need for mechanics!
In your opinion, is it worth emailing companies with C.V's or is it better to come on reccy and call into garages??
Thanks everyone for your time!
Old Jan 22nd 2011, 7:44 am
Forum Regular

another question....do you have to have a job offer to do the exam? or if over on a reccy is it possible to sit it then??? Thanks
Old Jan 22nd 2011, 5:55 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MrP77
In your opinion, is it worth emailing companies with C.V's
I don't suppose it will do any harm, but mostly a waste of time.

or is it better to come on reccy and call into garages??
Yes. Definitely.
Old Jan 22nd 2011, 8:19 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks for your time JonboyE that is what we suspected!!!
Old Jan 22nd 2011, 8:30 pm

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute

It is worth calling garages about job opportunities and then following up when your in country. There is quite often a high turn over of front end staff though.

If you come to sit the exam (which you have to get permission to do) then you will be given a 3 month TWP and HAVE to pass the exam in that time frame. Take a look at http://www.tradesecrets.gov.ab.ca/
Old Jan 22nd 2011, 8:40 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks Piff Poff! Will check that site out!
Old Jan 23rd 2011, 11:11 pm
Just Joined

Richyv26 is just really niceRichyv26 is just really niceRichyv26 is just really niceRichyv26 is just really niceRichyv26 is just really niceRichyv26 is just really niceRichyv26 is just really niceRichyv26 is just really nice

Hi mr P, just thought i'd give you an idea of my experience working out here as a technician ( been working as a tech out here since december at an Acura dealer which is basically posh Honda ). If you are not already aware most dealers out here use the flat rate pay system which is NOT salary based but effectively all price work. To put it simply if there is no work you will NOT get paid anything even if your at work for 8 hours, but don't be discouraged because if there is work you can make a killing! i worked for a Citroen dealer in the uk so i had to learn the Honda product but in my second week i made 15 hours in an 8 hour day ( $25 an hour or £16-£17 an hour at current exchange rate ) the techs who are already there average 12-14 hours per day ( $300-$350 ). To put it simply if your a good tech in the uk you will do well out here even under the flat rate system providing you are at a busy dealer, however january and feburuary can be quiet so you may need to budget. In relation to the technician licence (needed to trade as a tech in ontario) you need to go to a work apprenticeship office out here for them to assess your qualifications and work experience. You will need to bring a letter from your current or previous employer showing your job title, duties and how long you've been doing the job. You will also need proof of your qualifications and if you present this information you will have no problem being accepted to write the test. The test is multi-choice, 125 questions, pass mark is 70% or 87 correct answers and is based primarily on american vehicles so questions about rear wheel drive diff's and stuff. If you want any more info about the test or the job let me know because i've only recently taken the test in November so i should be able to help you because there are some silly questions in there. Preparation is key! if you revise their terminology you should be okay, i'm in Toronto, Ontario by the way.
Any questions mate don't hesitate to ask, hope this helps you out.
Old Jan 24th 2011, 12:26 pm
Forum Regular

Duckman is just really niceDuckman is just really niceDuckman is just really niceDuckman is just really niceDuckman is just really niceDuckman is just really niceDuckman is just really niceDuckman is just really nice

Originally Posted by Richyv26
15 hours in an 8 hour day
As a customer I'm not thrilled to be charged for 3 hours of a technician's time when they've only done 1.5 hours work... sigh.

Not your fault, not giving you a hard time, but it's unsurprising that the bill for getting my car serviced doesn't reflect how long it actually took :P
Old Jan 24th 2011, 10:33 pm

Originally Posted by Duckman
As a customer I'm not thrilled to be charged for 3 hours of a technician's time when they've only done 1.5 hours work... sigh.

Not your fault, not giving you a hard time, but it's unsurprising that the bill for getting my car serviced doesn't reflect how long it actually took :P
These are the guide times it takes a technician to complete the job. The job could take for various reasons the whole three hours to do (rusted nuts and corroded spark plugs comes to mind), the tech then only makes basic hours, however if the job goes smoothly and you have been quoted 3 hours and are happy to pay 3 hours and it only takes the tech 2 hours, then the tech makes bonus time.

If you have taken your car in for an obscure job and you have been told, we have no idea how long it will take, you will probably be charged a minimum of an hours labour, if the job takes the tech 5 hours you will be charged five hours, there are many jobs (some) techs will do for free whilst they are doing another part of the job.

A garage would be very foolish to charge 3 hours labour if they have only physically had the car in their possession for 1.5 hours
Old Jan 24th 2011, 11:32 pm
Just Joined

Richyv26 is just really niceRichyv26 is just really niceRichyv26 is just really niceRichyv26 is just really niceRichyv26 is just really niceRichyv26 is just really niceRichyv26 is just really niceRichyv26 is just really nice

Originally Posted by Duckman

Hi Duckman, i understand where your coming from and on the face of it, it does seem unfair, however most technicians invest alot of money into their tools (my tools are worth approx $12000) and techs re-tool often due to advances in technology, this enables a good tech to complete jobs quicker. Technicians are also highly trained, approx 4 years initial training with constant technical courses throughout the year which also enables a tech to do a job quicker. It may be that your vehicle was worked on by an apprentice for example, if this was the case he/she may have taken 4 hours to complete said job, however a good tech may have done the job in 1.5 hours. I may have given you a false impression to an extent but there is another side to it, it is not always a bed of rose's some jobs cannot be done in the time allowed for example an oil change service at Acura takes about 40 minutes to do properly however i only get paid 15 minutes to do it. Also to change a rear differential i get paid 50 minutes however i can just about do it in about 3 hours and i'm quick, which is why techs try to complete a job as quick as possible. The only advice i can give you is try to always take your vehicle to a main dealer franchise, although they may be more expensive their techs ability is generally much better. I have lost count of the amount of times i have had to repair damage caused by back street garages only because the customer tried to save some money which i understand. What Piff Poff has posted is also very accurate aswel.
We are not all bad, i myself do the highest quality job i can, the fact that some techs are quick is merely a product of training and skill level.
Please do not confuse this with being a rant, i merely wanted to give you a clearer idea of what its like as a tech.
Old Jan 25th 2011, 12:39 pm
Forum Regular

Hi Richyv26, thanks for your reply and the info! I had read something about it but did'nt quite understand the terms so thanks for that!
Is it possible to do the licence test while over on a holiday? Also can you do it without a job offer? Would that make it easier to get a job if I was already licenced? Piff Poff gave me a website to check out, but that was for Alberta...do they differ a lot from province to province?
Did you get over on a PR or twp?? Sorry for all the questions, just nice to know that there is work out there! and it is all still possible even when mechanics are not on the ''list''
Thanks for your time!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.