Reload this Page >

hi-new to forum

hi-new to forum

Old Apr 24th 2008, 6:08 pm
Just Joined

upsticks is an unknown quantity at this point
Default hi-new to forum

hi everyone!
fantastic forum-plenty of very helpful advice and quite hard to find stuff, too!

heres my view on emigrating. ive been to vancouver many times and yes, its a great place, but when i think about general living there, then in my mind its no different to living in london.
you will still have to go out to work, pay bills, look after kids, etc etc.
and more than likely, you probably wont have time to savour all those mountains so close by, as everyday you will come home knackered, eat, sleep and same again, day in day out!
IMHO, any place is what YOU make it. london is not THAT bad in the general place of things.
nevertheless, bc is one hell of a place, and only if we never had to work!
heres a pic of when i was there last :

http://i8.ebayimg.com/07/i/000/ec/26/c9b5_1.JPG

me? i think ill stay in the uk but still ahve the option of holidaying in bc whenevr i can!
Old Apr 24th 2008, 6:46 pm
ModerĪ±tor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: hi-new to forum

Very hard to take the afternoon off and go skiing in London? Or whalewatching.
Old Apr 24th 2008, 6:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: Doomed to be stuck in the West Midlands forever!!!!
Twink001 is a name known to allTwink001 is a name known to allTwink001 is a name known to allTwink001 is a name known to allTwink001 is a name known to allTwink001 is a name known to allTwink001 is a name known to allTwink001 is a name known to allTwink001 is a name known to allTwink001 is a name known to allTwink001 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by iaink
I agree.
Old Apr 24th 2008, 6:55 pm
Forum Regular

DOBBIE has a brilliant futureDOBBIE has a brilliant futureDOBBIE has a brilliant futureDOBBIE has a brilliant futureDOBBIE has a brilliant futureDOBBIE has a brilliant futureDOBBIE has a brilliant futureDOBBIE has a brilliant future

Or driving 5 minutes out of the city limits and be in mile upon mile of open countryside with no one else around. Drive south or East from London and the first time you hit open ground you get wet feet in the sea....!

Left London 13 years ago and glad to see the back of it...

However you are right in saying that you make of life what you make of it...

Cheers

Dobbie
Old Apr 24th 2008, 7:00 pm
riding the saltchuck

Edna Bucket has a reputation beyond reputeEdna Bucket has a reputation beyond reputeEdna Bucket has a reputation beyond reputeEdna Bucket has a reputation beyond reputeEdna Bucket has a reputation beyond reputeEdna Bucket has a reputation beyond reputeEdna Bucket has a reputation beyond reputeEdna Bucket has a reputation beyond reputeEdna Bucket has a reputation beyond reputeEdna Bucket has a reputation beyond reputeEdna Bucket has a reputation beyond repute

I don't get it. Vancouver or London are the only two choices?
Old Apr 24th 2008, 7:01 pm
rae
Settled.

rae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond repute

is it me, or has this person come onto an expats forum to say he likes canada to have a holiday but likes london better so will live there. can anyone see a point, or is it just me.
Old Apr 24th 2008, 7:02 pm
rae
Settled.

rae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Edna Bucket
I don't get it. Vancouver or London are the only two choices?
i just don't get it. i love italy to holiday, but i am not on an italian version of expats. lost??
Old Apr 24th 2008, 7:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: Doomed to be stuck in the West Midlands forever!!!!
Twink001 is a name known to allTwink001 is a name known to allTwink001 is a name known to allTwink001 is a name known to allTwink001 is a name known to allTwink001 is a name known to allTwink001 is a name known to allTwink001 is a name known to allTwink001 is a name known to allTwink001 is a name known to allTwink001 is a name known to all

I love Zante so much I got married there, but I would not want to live there, just holiday there once in a while!
Old Apr 24th 2008, 7:46 pm
Forum Regular

neekie will become famous soon enoughneekie will become famous soon enough

There's a nice cow's barn down the road from me but would I live there? Nooooooo!
Old Apr 24th 2008, 7:51 pm
Banned

Beaverquest is a splendid one to beholdBeaverquest is a splendid one to beholdBeaverquest is a splendid one to beholdBeaverquest is a splendid one to beholdBeaverquest is a splendid one to beholdBeaverquest is a splendid one to beholdBeaverquest is a splendid one to beholdBeaverquest is a splendid one to beholdBeaverquest is a splendid one to beholdBeaverquest is a splendid one to beholdBeaverquest is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by iaink
i used to frequent a pub/club in stockwell (the swan?) of a weekend where a harpoon was mandatory
Old Apr 24th 2008, 8:20 pm
Immigration Consultant

Paul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by upsticks
hi everyone!
fantastic forum-plenty of very helpful advice and quite hard to find stuff, too!

heres my view on emigrating. ive been to vancouver many times and yes, its a great place, but when i think about general living there, then in my mind its no different to living in london.
you will still have to go out to work, pay bills, look after kids, etc etc.
and more than likely, you probably wont have time to savour all those mountains so close by, as everyday you will come home knackered, eat, sleep and same again, day in day out!
IMHO, any place is what YOU make it. london is not THAT bad in the general place of things.
nevertheless, bc is one hell of a place, and only if we never had to work!
heres a pic of when i was there last :

http://i8.ebayimg.com/07/i/000/ec/26/c9b5_1.JPG

me? i think ill stay in the uk but still ahve the option of holidaying in bc whenevr i can!
But arent you totally missing the point? Escaping responsibilities isnt what emigrating is about - its about moving to a different country where you improve your situation/lifestyle/career/happiness in some way. Your post implies that you somehow started out with the notion that if you emigrated you wouldnt have to work, pay your bills or look after your kids. And then recently you discovered that wasnt really the case and so therefore could't see the point in pursuing it! What you're describing (ie. not working) seems more akin to dropping out than emigrating.
Old Apr 24th 2008, 8:33 pm
Logical & Hot Stuff

FlirtyKnickers has a reputation beyond reputeFlirtyKnickers has a reputation beyond reputeFlirtyKnickers has a reputation beyond reputeFlirtyKnickers has a reputation beyond reputeFlirtyKnickers has a reputation beyond reputeFlirtyKnickers has a reputation beyond reputeFlirtyKnickers has a reputation beyond reputeFlirtyKnickers has a reputation beyond reputeFlirtyKnickers has a reputation beyond reputeFlirtyKnickers has a reputation beyond reputeFlirtyKnickers has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NSpaul
But arent you totally missing the point? Escaping responsibilities isnt what emigrating is about - its about moving to a different country where you improve your situation/lifestyle/career/happiness in some way. Your post implies that you somehow started out with the notion that if you emigrated you wouldnt have to work, pay your bills or look after your kids. And then recently you discovered that wasnt really the case and so therefore could't see the point in pursuing it! What you're describing (ie. not working) seems more akin to dropping out than emigrating.
Well said.... mrs 007
Old Apr 24th 2008, 10:26 pm

bazzz is an unknown quantity at this point

I'd say that Vancouver isn't full of whining Brits, but that'd only be partially true. And as bad as the 99 B-Line is, it ain't a patch on the Northern Line for sheer unadulterated misery.
Old Apr 25th 2008, 4:47 am

moondevil will become famous soon enoughmoondevil will become famous soon enough

Yeah but you can whale watch in the UK, it aint pretty and we are 60 miles inland
Old Apr 25th 2008, 1:12 pm
Just Joined

upsticks is an unknown quantity at this point

im not saying that london is paradise but neither is canada, or any other place really! last time i was in bc, i was on the skytrain going from main street to metrotown, and you wouldnt believe the number of weirdos that got on, screaming and shouting at each other, so much that i had to get out and change carriages. ok, i know, its the same in london too! just my personal whinge!
glad you agree that life is what you make it, so for some people maybe they can better themselves in canada, others not. comparison wise, london has all the history you could want and could never see in your whole life, everything is close by etc. vancouver also has great scenery and lifestyle that you cannot get in london. so its horses-for-courses really i think. i still go back to what i said before; if as 99% of us all have to do, we are gonna slog our guts out making a living, then IMHO i prefer to do it in london. better the devil you know!

Originally Posted by DOBBIE
Or driving 5 minutes out of the city limits and be in mile upon mile of open countryside with no one else around. Drive south or East from London and the first time you hit open ground you get wet feet in the sea....!

Left London 13 years ago and glad to see the back of it...

However you are right in saying that you make of life what you make of it...

Cheers

Dobbie

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.