Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Hi -just moved to Whitby Ontario

Wikiposts

Hi -just moved to Whitby Ontario

Old Nov 10th 2007, 10:47 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Coffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Hi -just moved to Whitby Ontario

Originally Posted by ash200
Hi,
We are a family of 4 plus a Yorkie dog, we arrived in Canada in September having obtained our PR (AOR 03 Feb 05) and now reside in Whitby. Like other expats we have had to sort out many of the basic necessities in order to start off our new life in Canada.

Now we have been here a short time I would like to contact other expats in the Durham area

ash200
just a quick question, how did your dog take to the travel and how did you transport him her ? we have 3 large dogs to move cheers susan
Old Nov 11th 2007, 3:02 am
Port of Newcastle

sara76 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by jamie123
just a quick question, how did your dog take to the travel and how did you transport him her ? we have 3 large dogs to move cheers susan
Hi we bought our dog over as excess baggage on the flight that we came on. It was a bit of a challenge pushing a Rhodesian Ridgeback around Gatwick Village in a Pet Cargo 900. We parked him up & had breakfast with him just outside the resturant. It is funny how many nosey people there are that want to stick their fingers in the cage, which of course is not very wise with any dog in a crate, esp a guard dog! Amazing the stupid people in this world that let their kids do it too. Anyway we kept hold of the dog until about an hour before the flight, they showed us a fire exit used by the pilots (before security) where we could take him out for a pee. Make sure that they get lots of fluid before the flight as it can dehydrate them, & make sure they have a water bowl so the ground crew can top them up. It has to be secured to the front gate so they can get to it without opening the crate.
Here is the link to their website
http://www.airtransat.ca/en/4_2_6.asp
It cost us $250 & it is still that cost now regardless of weight which is always a bonus when you have big dogs.
They then are ready to be collected along with your cases. Air Transat however broke one of the wheels then I got told off for getting the dog out, I then asked them to push the 3 wheeled crate with a dog in as they had broken it. Fortunately when we were land side I dumped the crate at Air Transat's office & told them to return it to me when it was fixed, which was a blessing as I have no idea how we would have got that in the back of the hire car & we had a GMC Yukon. We would have needed a quad pick up otherwise. We got to Gatwick with him in my brother inlaws transit with the crate & cases & my husban & children got a lift in an MPV.
Oh you have to pay $30 at customs for someone to look over the paper work. We had a fit to fly cert, micro chip papers, rabie's shot details & we got him a pet passport, just incase, you don't need one but if you ever have to return to the UK for whatever reason it saves teh quarantin, so thought we would be safe then sorry as we arrived here on work visas.
The dog appeared fine, excited to see us, however we moved to a 1700sqft town house that did not have any carpets downstairs & no fenced garden.
Dylan was crate trined & had never pooed in our house, he was 2 when we arrived here so house trained, however if we went out for 30 mins or more he would poo in the house, but only where we changed our daughters nappy. After 7 months we moved house to a house twice the size, with a fenced garden & carpet throughout (apart from the kitchen & utity room) He ran around the house like a loony, cause he had carpet & wasn't sliding all over the place. From that day he has never pooed in the house again. So I think if does effect them more then we know, & I do think that the wooden floors did not help him. He has never appeared to see our daughter as a threat as she was 6 months in our old house with him & he never did a poo in the house their either.
Good luck!
Sara
Old Nov 11th 2007, 3:28 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Coffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sara76
Hi we bought our dog over as excess baggage on the flight that we came on. It was a bit of a challenge pushing a Rhodesian Ridgeback around Gatwick Village in a Pet Cargo 900. We parked him up & had breakfast with him just outside the resturant. It is funny how many nosey people there are that want to stick their fingers in the cage, which of course is not very wise with any dog in a crate, esp a guard dog! Amazing the stupid people in this world that let their kids do it too. Anyway we kept hold of the dog until about an hour before the flight, they showed us a fire exit used by the pilots (before security) where we could take him out for a pee. Make sure that they get lots of fluid before the flight as it can dehydrate them, & make sure they have a water bowl so the ground crew can top them up. It has to be secured to the front gate so they can get to it without opening the crate.
Here is the link to their website
http://www.airtransat.ca/en/4_2_6.asp
It cost us $250 & it is still that cost now regardless of weight which is always a bonus when you have big dogs.
They then are ready to be collected along with your cases. Air Transat however broke one of the wheels then I got told off for getting the dog out, I then asked them to push the 3 wheeled crate with a dog in as they had broken it. Fortunately when we were land side I dumped the crate at Air Transat's office & told them to return it to me when it was fixed, which was a blessing as I have no idea how we would have got that in the back of the hire car & we had a GMC Yukon. We would have needed a quad pick up otherwise. We got to Gatwick with him in my brother inlaws transit with the crate & cases & my husban & children got a lift in an MPV.
Oh you have to pay $30 at customs for someone to look over the paper work. We had a fit to fly cert, micro chip papers, rabie's shot details & we got him a pet passport, just incase, you don't need one but if you ever have to return to the UK for whatever reason it saves teh quarantin, so thought we would be safe then sorry as we arrived here on work visas.
The dog appeared fine, excited to see us, however we moved to a 1700sqft town house that did not have any carpets downstairs & no fenced garden.
Dylan was crate trined & had never pooed in our house, he was 2 when we arrived here so house trained, however if we went out for 30 mins or more he would poo in the house, but only where we changed our daughters nappy. After 7 months we moved house to a house twice the size, with a fenced garden & carpet throughout (apart from the kitchen & utity room) He ran around the house like a loony, cause he had carpet & wasn't sliding all over the place. From that day he has never pooed in the house again. So I think if does effect them more then we know, & I do think that the wooden floors did not help him. He has never appeared to see our daughter as a threat as she was 6 months in our old house with him & he never did a poo in the house their either.
Good luck!
Sara
Thanks so much Sara,excess luggage thats cool, i will see about pet passports as we are coming on a work visa and hope our PR will be fast tracked potential boss seams to think it will be has been in other cases from UK. I am worried about one of our dogs travelling he gets agressive on a lead let alone in a cage, where we live they hardly meet anyone the 2 retrievers are very layed back for the most but get travel sick,
I have been looking at cages for the dogs and been quoted around £2000, to move each dog with a company, sounds like it was quite straight forward for you, were you worried about doing it yourself,

interesting about the wooden floors, i notice nearly all the homes for sale have wooden floors, also did you rent ok with a dog as we will have to rent for a while, did you manage to insure your dog if so what does that entail, mother in law has offered to take 1 of the dogs and i am sure we could rehome the others as they are so lovely but we couldn't bare to parted from them, The other option is to put them in kennels and they follow in a few weeks when we are settled but i think they will be so upset they don't even go into Kennels when we go away they have a sitter come here, mostly for security anyway thanks again for your help,

susan
Old Nov 11th 2007, 4:31 am
Port of Newcastle

Thanks so much Sara,excess luggage thats cool, i will see about pet passports as we are coming on a work visa and hope our PR will be fast tracked potential boss seams to think it will be has been in other cases from UK. I am worried about one of our dogs travelling he gets agressive on a lead let alone in a cage, where we live they hardly meet anyone the 2 retrievers are very layed back for the most but get travel sick,
I have been looking at cages for the dogs and been quoted around £2000, to move each dog with a company, sounds like it was quite straight forward for you, were you worried about doing it yourself,

interesting about the wooden floors, i notice nearly all the homes for sale have wooden floors, also did you rent ok with a dog as we will have to rent for a while, did you manage to insure your dog if so what does that entail, mother in law has offered to take 1 of the dogs and i am sure we could rehome the others as they are so lovely but we couldn't bare to parted from them, The other option is to put them in kennels and they follow in a few weeks when we are settled but i think they will be so upset they don't even go into Kennels when we go away they have a sitter come here, mostly for security anyway thanks again for your help,

susan
I would do it yourself, it is pretty straight forward, they only require you to have the rabies shots & micro chip. All the info is on the airtransat website & the vet helped with the rest, thats why we got the pet passports so we knew that they were completely covered, but they need to have a second bloodtest after the shot before they can fly really, & they can not re enter the UK for 6 months. Best to do before you get here. I can't remeber the exact time frame so best to contact your vet. I think it cost about 150 pound to get the shots, chip, blood test & passport. Search online for a Pet Cargo 900 I think we paid just over 100 punds for ours & it was delivered. I got ours from SeaPets, but there are plenty of other places, just look around. It is hard to rent with a dog here, we were lucky, however our realtor is also a property manager & also flips houses. I think we paid an extra $100 for the dog as a deposit on the house. He did scratch the wooden floors alot but like in the UK it is called wear & tear. Our realtor never checked anyway as he knew we looked after the house, I didn't even have to replace the conifir he pee'd up & turned brown. In this house he fractured his tail & a couple of times when he has been asleep he has trapped the nerve, it only lasts a few minutes but his legs go & he fell down the stairs & put a hole in the wall from his head, so i need to get that repaired, oops!
If I was to move her again I would do it the same way, going back however is different, you have to use a sompany to do it & it costs about $5000.
We were out here in 4 weeks fast tracked through a facilitated worker as their is not the people skilled here to do his job. We arrived in June 06 & we had our AOR in Sept 06. We were told it would take 6-9 months. We did our police checks & medicals in July/Aug & we are still waiting for our PPR. I think there is a huge delay at the moment as my husbands sister & family applied for a Provincial Nomination with a job offered secured, they got there AOR in Sept 06 & they only got their medical requests in Sept. They were told it would be a 3-6 month process & their still waiting for their PPR. So yes it is certainly faster then the conventional route but not as quick as they like to think they are.

Sara
Old Nov 11th 2007, 5:00 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I would do it yourself, it is pretty straight forward, they only require you to have the rabies shots & micro chip. All the info is on the airtransat website & the vet helped with the rest, thats why we got the pet passports so we knew that they were completely covered, but they need to have a second bloodtest after the shot before they can fly really, & they can not re enter the UK for 6 months. Best to do before you get here. I can't remeber the exact time frame so best to contact your vet. I think it cost about 150 pound to get the shots, chip, blood test & passport. Search online for a Pet Cargo 900 I think we paid just over 100 punds for ours & it was delivered. I got ours from SeaPets, but there are plenty of other places, just look around. It is hard to rent with a dog here, we were lucky, however our realtor is also a property manager & also flips houses. I think we paid an extra $100 for the dog as a deposit on the house. He did scratch the wooden floors alot but like in the UK it is called wear & tear. Our realtor never checked anyway as he knew we looked after the house, I didn't even have to replace the conifir he pee'd up & turned brown. In this house he fractured his tail & a couple of times when he has been asleep he has trapped the nerve, it only lasts a few minutes but his legs go & he fell down the stairs & put a hole in the wall from his head, so i need to get that repaired, oops!
If I was to move her again I would do it the same way, going back however is different, you have to use a sompany to do it & it costs about $5000.
We were out here in 4 weeks fast tracked through a facilitated worker as their is not the people skilled here to do his job. We arrived in June 06 & we had our AOR in Sept 06. We were told it would take 6-9 months. We did our police checks & medicals in July/Aug & we are still waiting for our PPR. I think there is a huge delay at the moment as my husbands sister & family applied for a Provincial Nomination with a job offered secured, they got there AOR in Sept 06 & they only got their medical requests in Sept. They were told it would be a 3-6 month process & their still waiting for their PPR. So yes it is certainly faster then the conventional route but not as quick as they like to think they are.

Sara
Thanks again Sara, you have answered several questions in one go, wish everyone was so helpful, from what i have read you have to have the dog checked over within 48hrs of flying has to be a registered vet ( as in specially selected ) I will def do some more research on that and the cages, might save us a fortune. yahoo always up for that.

It must be great to have some family there with you, we will only have each other and lots of visitors incl our other children whom are older and at uni and living in London, our daughter might try and do her last year out there. I think they will all end up in the states or Canada anyway. and of course they can't wait for the hols for snowboarding and all the fun with snow as well as a pool in summer, we haven't even filled ours up here this summer its been such bad weather. we all love ice hockey and go to see our local team, at least we will know something of the rules. funny our team has just imported a new coach from Canada 3 weeks ago.
Our son who is 6 will come with us he came on our last trip to Ottawa at easter and loved it ( nothing to do with the Ben 10 toys so cheap over there ) he is at a very good school here in the village where we live, and is very sociable so am hoping he will settle well there, how did you and your extended family ( sister in law ) settle in ? cheers again susan
Old Nov 15th 2007, 6:11 am
Port of Newcastle

Thanks again Sara, you have answered several questions in one go, wish everyone was so helpful, from what i have read you have to have the dog checked over within 48hrs of flying has to be a registered vet ( as in specially selected ) I will def do some more research on that and the cages, might save us a fortune. yahoo always up for that.

It must be great to have some family there with you, we will only have each other and lots of visitors incl our other children whom are older and at uni and living in London, our daughter might try and do her last year out there. I think they will all end up in the states or Canada anyway. and of course they can't wait for the hols for snowboarding and all the fun with snow as well as a pool in summer, we haven't even filled ours up here this summer its been such bad weather. we all love ice hockey and go to see our local team, at least we will know something of the rules. funny our team has just imported a new coach from Canada 3 weeks ago.
Our son who is 6 will come with us he came on our last trip to Ottawa at easter and loved it ( nothing to do with the Ben 10 toys so cheap over there ) he is at a very good school here in the village where we live, and is very sociable so am hoping he will settle well there, how did you and your extended family ( sister in law ) settle in ? cheers again susan
Hi Susan,
We don't have any family here as yet. They did come over to stay here with us for 6 months to wait out their process, however it all got to much (on the verge of mass murder). I have to say I am not great at sharing my personal space with people that don't respect my house rules, then again who is!
They went home, re bought another house in the same village that they sold one in before they came here. They have decided that they are going to come back (they were here march/april 07) however we are in Ontario & their job offer is in Calgary, so although they will be in the same country, we still won't see them, so it makes no odds to us either way. If they do decided to stick it out next time, they might move to Ontario afterwards, but I can safely say that our 3rd child will be born & we will not have the room for them & their 2 children.
I have to say that we probably have more friends here that we see then the UK, as the friends I had in the UK were my friends & the few my husband had were his friends, where here we have 'our' friends. I am not all that close to my family, yes I talk to my mum most days & thats enough, I am not one of these people that has to see my parents every few weeks or months. So far we had my husbands mum here a couple months after we moved & she is back here in March when I am due to look after the other 2 children whilst I go into hospital. My mum was here for the first time in July for 4 weeks. As I said, my husbands sister & family were here for 6 weeks earlier this year. I did manage to see my best friend who was in Toronto for a few hours whilst getting a connecting flight from Vegas to Heathrow, so that was a brief 1 hour catch up but worth it.
We didn't have to use a specialised vet to check our dog over. We just took him to our vet who did our pet passport (unless only certain vets can issue them?) I think we flew out on the Monday & he checked him over on the Saturday. He just wrote a letter on headed paper giving the date & time saying that he had checked the dog over & in his opinion there is no reason why the dog can not fly. However Air Transat only let a couple of dogs on anyone flight, so what we did was find the flights we wanted, called them up, whilst she was booking the dog on the flight & gave us the ok, I booked our flights online whilst still talking o her, just to make sure we could all get on that flight together. You also have to label the crate with the dogs name on it & flight details, but I am sure it tells you that on the Air Transat page.
My husband is getting into the hockey, they go & seee the Oshawa Generals, he really has no idea about the rules. I tried to teach my 10yr old to ice skate last year, not fun as he clung on so much I was worried that he would pull me doen on the ice too & I would never get up! lol I am obviously excused this year. My husband & son tried snowboarding last year, they only got in one lesson as the ski season was very short & only started earlier this year for a month or so.
Other then that our son settled in well & our daughter has spent most of her life in Canada as she was only 6months when we moved here & she will be 2 this Saturday.

Sara
Old Nov 15th 2007, 7:57 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Hi Susan,
We don't have any family here as yet. They did come over to stay here with us for 6 months to wait out their process, however it all got to much (on the verge of mass murder). I have to say I am not great at sharing my personal space with people that don't respect my house rules, then again who is!
They went home, re bought another house in the same village that they sold one in before they came here. They have decided that they are going to come back (they were here march/april 07) however we are in Ontario & their job offer is in Calgary, so although they will be in the same country, we still won't see them, so it makes no odds to us either way. If they do decided to stick it out next time, they might move to Ontario afterwards, but I can safely say that our 3rd child will be born & we will not have the room for them & their 2 children.
I have to say that we probably have more friends here that we see then the UK, as the friends I had in the UK were my friends & the few my husband had were his friends, where here we have 'our' friends. I am not all that close to my family, yes I talk to my mum most days & thats enough, I am not one of these people that has to see my parents every few weeks or months. So far we had my husbands mum here a couple months after we moved & she is back here in March when I am due to look after the other 2 children whilst I go into hospital. My mum was here for the first time in July for 4 weeks. As I said, my husbands sister & family were here for 6 weeks earlier this year. I did manage to see my best friend who was in Toronto for a few hours whilst getting a connecting flight from Vegas to Heathrow, so that was a brief 1 hour catch up but worth it.
We didn't have to use a specialised vet to check our dog over. We just took him to our vet who did our pet passport (unless only certain vets can issue them?) I think we flew out on the Monday & he checked him over on the Saturday. He just wrote a letter on headed paper giving the date & time saying that he had checked the dog over & in his opinion there is no reason why the dog can not fly. However Air Transat only let a couple of dogs on anyone flight, so what we did was find the flights we wanted, called them up, whilst she was booking the dog on the flight & gave us the ok, I booked our flights online whilst still talking o her, just to make sure we could all get on that flight together. You also have to label the crate with the dogs name on it & flight details, but I am sure it tells you that on the Air Transat page.
My husband is getting into the hockey, they go & seee the Oshawa Generals, he really has no idea about the rules. I tried to teach my 10yr old to ice skate last year, not fun as he clung on so much I was worried that he would pull me doen on the ice too & I would never get up! lol I am obviously excused this year. My husband & son tried snowboarding last year, they only got in one lesson as the ski season was very short & only started earlier this year for a month or so.
Other then that our son settled in well & our daughter has spent most of her life in Canada as she was only 6months when we moved here & she will be 2 this Saturday.

Sara
Hi Sara, congrats hope all goes well with your birth,What day in March ?
we have 4 children it does get easier,
on another note sounds like you had fun with your visitors, ( not ) i am like you and like my own space, must remember to ask estate agent for inlaw suite haha, thanks for all your help with the dogs, i have contacted our realtor to get help with renting with dogs, i have been on other forums ( in the early hours as already i can't sleep ) looks like LMOs are taking forever, you were very fortunate to get out there so quick judging by some of the people on there, what does your oh do if you don't mind me asking, mine is in I.T. looking for another job there as head hunted but not enough dosh.

the one thing i will miss is my friends we do have really great times, i will miss my older children but they will be out to see us quite a lot, but they can email talk on Skype, and of course both grandparents. you are only put on this earth for such a short time you have to make the best of it, if we don't do it now we never will,
can't wait till we are out there, keep in touch its lovely to here from you, are you having a party for your 2 year old princess, it seems forever since my daughter was 2 she is now 18, enjoy and make the most of it all, take care rest that bump,

susan