Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Hi I'm new to this and Fort McMurray is not so bad!

Hi I'm new to this and Fort McMurray is not so bad!

Old Aug 4th 2006, 10:17 pm
Just Joined

tperkz is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Hi I'm new to this and Fort McMurray is not so bad!

Hi All

I am new to this and I was curious to see if anyone else lived in Fort Mac. I wasn't surprised to see the negative comments but I would like to say that we are expats who have lived here for 6 years (direct from the UK) and we actually really like it! Before anyone mentions it, we have seen other parts the country and it still compares favourably to us

My husband is a heavy equipment mechanic and if anyone is interested in the tons of job opportunities in that trade up here and would like to hear some positive remarks let me know!
Old Aug 4th 2006, 11:17 pm
mañana is my busiest day

oceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Hi I'm new to this and Fort McMurray is not so bad!

Okay, you like the place..... but why do you like it? What about the things you don't like?
Old Aug 5th 2006, 9:04 am
Forum Regular

MrsWillow is just really niceMrsWillow is just really niceMrsWillow is just really niceMrsWillow is just really niceMrsWillow is just really niceMrsWillow is just really niceMrsWillow is just really niceMrsWillow is just really niceMrsWillow is just really nice

Hello to you and to Fort McMurray! I have a load of family up there.

Funnily enough they all were at my Mom's in SK last week. A good time was had by all apparently.

We recently watched a documentary on Fort McMurray on Skye here and it was very interesting. Might have been Mega Machines or Mega Structures or something. We were enthralled.

Old Aug 5th 2006, 9:28 am
BE Enthusiast

carrieann has much to be proud ofcarrieann has much to be proud ofcarrieann has much to be proud ofcarrieann has much to be proud ofcarrieann has much to be proud ofcarrieann has much to be proud ofcarrieann has much to be proud ofcarrieann has much to be proud ofcarrieann has much to be proud ofcarrieann has much to be proud ofcarrieann has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by tperkz
Hi All

I am new to this and I was curious to see if anyone else lived in Fort Mac. I wasn't surprised to see the negative comments but I would like to say that we are expats who have lived here for 6 years (direct from the UK) and we actually really like it! Before anyone mentions it, we have seen other parts the country and it still compares favourably to us

My husband is a heavy equipment mechanic and if anyone is interested in the tons of job opportunities in that trade up here and would like to hear some positive remarks let me know!
Hi there, My husband is an HGV mechanic here in the Scottish Borders and is really wanting to move to Canada, please let me know if you know of any jobs. Thanks Carrie-ann
Old Aug 5th 2006, 12:22 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by MrsWillow
Hello to you and to Fort McMurray! I have a load of family up there.

Funnily enough they all were at my Mom's in SK last week. A good time was had by all apparently.

We recently watched a documentary on Fort McMurray on Skye here and it was very interesting. Might have been Mega Machines or Mega Structures or something. We were enthralled.

Sounds like fun to me

We've seen a couple of those documentaries too. My husband works for Finning and they put together those big Cat trucks and do the maintenance work - the size of the vehicles and components never ceases to amaze me. It's always great to show friends and family who come out here to visit us. The new stuff is shipped up here in parts and put together in the workshop, my husband reckons it is just like putting together really big Lego (and boys will be boys!)
Old Aug 5th 2006, 12:37 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by carrieann
Hi there, My husband is an HGV mechanic here in the Scottish Borders and is really wanting to move to Canada, please let me know if you know of any jobs. Thanks Carrie-ann
Hi there, as I said I am new to this so I am getting my replies confused - apologies!

My husband initially worked in the UK on HGVs but also had some plant machinery experience. When we landed as permanent residents (2000) we didn't have much luck in Edmonton so came up to Fort Mac to visit an old Canadian school friend and my husband was offered two jobs within 48 hours. So we decided to stay here and never made it to Calgary which was next on our list!

An HGV mechanic shouldn't have any problem getting work here Finning, Syncrude, Suncor, North American, Albian Sands to name but a few are always looking for mechanics.
Old Aug 18th 2006, 3:20 pm
Just Joined

Ashbeck is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello Tperkz,

I live in Fort McMurray as well, I have been here for 4 months now and I did my research before I got here and heard all the comments about Fort Mc (negative as you can imagine), the immigration officer at Calgary airport even pulled a funny face when I told him where we were heading!!! So I wasnt expecting much when I got here but I am actually warming to the place.

Sure its not the prettiest place in Canada, housing is expensive blah blah blah but I like it. I had an opportunity to come to Canada with a great company, they look after me and my fiance, we have bought our first house (ever) here in Fort Mc and it is three times larger than anything a first time buyer could get back in the UK. We will probably move on after 5-6 years but as a starting block for two 27 year olds it has been great. There were no questions about the visa application because it was Fort Mc and I am just happy to be here in Canada.

I have had a great summer (canoeing, ATV's, mountain biking etc) and am very grateful for everything that Fort Mc has done for me and I am looking forward to living here for a while. If I leave in 5 years time after some hard grafting and can afford to look after any new additions to our family (ha ha) and live in our dream mountain resort then it has all been worth it. Good things come to those who wait.

Although I havent survived a Fort Mc winter yet!!! ha ha

All the best Tperkz, maybe see you around town.

Ashbeck
Old Aug 18th 2006, 3:36 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome, glad to have someone from Fort Mac here!

We hear of housing shortages and highg rents nowadays

Originally Posted by tperkz
Can they sleep on your floor
Old Aug 19th 2006, 1:18 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Ashbeck
Hello Tperkz,

I live in Fort McMurray as well, I have been here for 4 months now and I did my research before I got here and heard all the comments about Fort Mc (negative as you can imagine), the immigration officer at Calgary airport even pulled a funny face when I told him where we were heading!!! So I wasnt expecting much when I got here but I am actually warming to the place.

Sure its not the prettiest place in Canada, housing is expensive blah blah blah but I like it. I had an opportunity to come to Canada with a great company, they look after me and my fiance, we have bought our first house (ever) here in Fort Mc and it is three times larger than anything a first time buyer could get back in the UK. We will probably move on after 5-6 years but as a starting block for two 27 year olds it has been great. There were no questions about the visa application because it was Fort Mc and I am just happy to be here in Canada.

I have had a great summer (canoeing, ATV's, mountain biking etc) and am very grateful for everything that Fort Mc has done for me and I am looking forward to living here for a while. If I leave in 5 years time after some hard grafting and can afford to look after any new additions to our family (ha ha) and live in our dream mountain resort then it has all been worth it. Good things come to those who wait.

Although I havent survived a Fort Mc winter yet!!! ha ha

All the best Tperkz, maybe see you around town.

Ashbeck
You said it all Ashbeck and I couldn't agree with you more! Be careful of that 5 year plan though - we have met people with the same idea who are still here twenty years later and we had a two year plan and here we are six years on ! If last years' Winter was a new trend you'll be ok as it was positively warm for Fort Mac - we had family here for Christmas and it actually rained! All I can say is you get used to the cold!

Good luck to you too!
Old Aug 19th 2006, 1:20 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by iaink
Welcome, glad to have someone from Fort Mac here!

We hear of housing shortages and highg rents nowadays

Can they sleep on your floor
They don't have to sleep on the floor - we have a spare room and we won't charge too much for it