Hi I'm New!

Old May 3rd 2006, 3:08 am
BE Forum Addict

Ruby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Hi I'm New!

Originally Posted by Linda P
Wow, what a journey, glad to hear it's settled down for you, and you can now start again!

Linda
Hi Linda, it's true that having family back home is a big heart tugger and we'd be robots if we felt nothing. It takes a very strong family to do what we've done - putting ourselves and lives first, leaving behind all that's been familiar to us for many years and painfully leaving our parents and sisters/brothers - all to experience (what we hope) will be a good, safe life with great opportunities for our kids' futures. How long have you been in Edmonton?
Old May 3rd 2006, 3:38 am
sticky beaking

R2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to behold

What a nice series of posts here.................made me smile. We are coming up to our 1st anniversary here, very soon, and I suppose its a natural time to sit back and contemplate the last 12 months.
We have had a fairly smooth ride all the way.................and life is good for us here. We have had the odd bout of homesickness, but nothing too major, and never enough for us to pack up and head back to Manchester airport in the rain...........no thankyou.!

Ralstne................good luck for the move to Beaumont. Its a lovely town. We so nearly bought there. I loved Coloniale Estates backing the golf course.
As for the Edmonton Police force....................2 of the Dad's from my son's class at school , work for the force. I know 1 is Downtown, not sure about the other, but their wives both say they love their jobs. One of them used to be a Bank Manager and jacked it in for life in the Police force.

I think Alberta is a great province to call home. It may not be the prettiest, ie, not all lush and green (although the green grass is coming back now..........slowly in the case of our lawn, but thats another story).......but the fact that the mountains are just a few hours drive away, no PST to pay, the sunny skies, the friendly people, and just the general feel of the place, and the lifestyle we have now...................thats why we came here and thats why I don't think I would go anywhere else.

Take the rough with the smooth, don't set your expectations of this "new life" too high, and allow yourself to feel lost and low at times, and to accept that it is OK to do so. It a huge adjustment, yet an exciting adventure to boot.............................................. .....Enjoy !!!!!!!!!!
Old May 3rd 2006, 3:45 am
sticky beaking

R2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to behold

alberta_jaycee.................................the re is a poster on the forum called Piff Poff who lives in Red Deer too.................................introduction over.!
Old May 3rd 2006, 10:45 am
Forum Regular

ralstne has a brilliant futureralstne has a brilliant futureralstne has a brilliant futureralstne has a brilliant futureralstne has a brilliant futureralstne has a brilliant futureralstne has a brilliant future

Hi R2D2 it's nice to see a post from you on here. I've seen quite a few of your posts over the last few months and you always manage to make us feel a little better about our future in Edmonton. Not because you're always positive but because you remind us that part of the challenge is to accept the differences and not let things let you get too down for too long. I loved the photos you posted of your snowy yard a while back by the way, how about an update or your green/brown grass?
Old May 3rd 2006, 12:59 pm
Mans

Mans has a brilliant futureMans has a brilliant futureMans has a brilliant futureMans has a brilliant futureMans has a brilliant futureMans has a brilliant futureMans has a brilliant future

Thanks for sharing your experience....really touched by your strength and determination.....its never easy when things not going well and difficult to see light at the end of the tunnel. I guess, even tougher when you have kids.

Makes me appreciate how lucky we have been....only been four and a half months but had a really smooth transition into Canada. The whole family is loving it here and again...like you.....it was to give our kids a better opportunity in the future.

It is very difficult to let go everything and everyone back home...its only natural to think back of all the people and things you were so used too...but really wish you the best of luck in your new future and admire your determination to do the best for your family.

Rgds
Mans
Old May 3rd 2006, 1:53 pm
sticky beaking

Originally Posted by ralstne
Hi R2D2 it's nice to see a post from you on here. I've seen quite a few of your posts over the last few months and you always manage to make us feel a little better about our future in Edmonton. Not because you're always positive but because you remind us that part of the challenge is to accept the differences and not let things let you get too down for too long. I loved the photos you posted of your snowy yard a while back by the way, how about an update or your green/brown grass?
When we bought our house last year (nearly new) the previous owners had seeded rather than turfed and it looks worse for wear having gone through its first winter. Our next door neighbours (who had turfed) are developing nice green grass....................And on top of that there are holes where the previous owners dog used to dig, and dig and dig. Still..............if this is all I have to worry about, then its not too bad is it.

Thanks for your comments. We DO try and stay positive and remind ourselves that we CHOSE this life, not just for us, but for our childrens future and to be honest we really feel it has been a good move. It might not always feel like it, (when we have a down day), but you buck yourself up, throw yourself into day to day life, and totally make the most of it.

We have been so lucky, that everything has just fallen nicely into place for us here. Husband had arranged a good job to come to, one which he really enjoys. Is home at 5.30pm everyday, I no longer HAVE to work, so can stay home with my 2 lovely little children, enjoying playdates and the park and shopping etc etc. We like the climate (this 1st winter for us was mild), the air is clean, the skies are blue (mostly). We have more time as a family. Husband only gets 3 weeks hols, but they have a lot of long weekends here, so we tend to disappear off somewhere for as many of those as we can...............the Mountains are always calling to us.
We don't have loads more disposable income than we had in the UK, but once I DO go back to work, (when my boys are both in school) we should be better off.

We have a lot to be thankful for and when we compare life here to life back in Cheshire, we have gained more than we have lost. Yes, we have lost that weekly contact with parents, and the kids interaction with grandparents and that is a BIG factor...........................but apart from that the only things we miss are the English countryside, the familiarity and in my case "NEXT" for the boys clothes (but parents are bringing some over with them when they visit very soon.)

Our first year has flown by and we are still looking forward to all the things we still want to do here. Going camping in the summer, husband wants to get into Kayaking, exploring a bit further afield, skiing next winter.
We have only just scratched the surface.

I really hope you enjoy being here and find your feet. It takes time but I think its worth it. Beaumont should be a nice place to be. If we can be of any help just ask.
Debbie x
Old May 3rd 2006, 2:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

Ruby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Mans, and thank you for those kind and supportive words. Life is plane sailing from now on....no worries, just laid back, enjoying life. Glad to hear you are settling into life here too

Jaycee
Old May 3rd 2006, 2:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

Hi R2D2.....Happy forthcoming 1st anniversary....a very good milestone!

I absolutely agree with you about what you say about Alberta....we get such a buzz knowing that we are just a 3 hr drive away to Banff and all that awesome scenery when folk back home have to splash out a fortune just to have that experience We are very lucky and blessed to be in a place like Alberta
Old May 3rd 2006, 3:01 pm
sticky beaking

Originally Posted by alberta_jaycee
Hi R2D2.....Happy forthcoming 1st anniversary....a very good milestone!

I absolutely agree with you about what you say about Alberta....we get such a buzz knowing that we are just a 3 hr drive away to Banff and all that awesome scenery when folk back home have to splash out a fortune just to have that experience We are very lucky and blessed to be in a place like Alberta
TOTALLY.................we last went to the Mountains between Xmas and New Year and we have now got withdrawal symptoms. Going again very soon though, with my folks this time so can't wait.!

Isn't the David Thompson Highway just THE most wonderful road in the universe to drive down. Abraham Lake............WOW....Have you been to Crescent Falls ?? Its just off the highway down a side road. You pass this stunning gorge on the way and the river there is just AWESOME. I should work for the Alberta Tourism Board I think !

Check ou the pics.
Attached Thumbnails Hi I'm New!-banff-weekend-sept-05-082.jpg   Hi I'm New!-banff-weekend-sept-05-022.jpg  
Old May 3rd 2006, 3:08 pm
Forum Regular

ralstne has a brilliant futureralstne has a brilliant futureralstne has a brilliant futureralstne has a brilliant futureralstne has a brilliant futureralstne has a brilliant futureralstne has a brilliant future

Gorgeous! Thanks R2D2 I've set that 1st photo as my background. We can't wait for our first mountain trip in the summer. I think it's going to be a priority after our arrival in August. We went out to Jasper for a few days when we came over in February and it was amazing. We drove out to maligne lake and walked through maligne canyon. Other than a few bighorn sheep we had the place to ourselves!
Old May 3rd 2006, 3:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by R2D2
TOTALLY.................we last went to the Mountains between Xmas and New Year and we have now got withdrawal symptoms. Going again very soon though, with my folks this time so can't wait.!

Isn't the David Thompson Highway just THE most wonderful road in the universe to drive down. Abraham Lake............WOW....Have you been to Crescent Falls ?? Its just off the highway down a side road. You pass this stunning gorge on the way and the river there is just AWESOME. I should work for the Alberta Tourism Board I think !

Check ou the pics.
They are great pics R2D2....sent shivers looking at Lake Abraham. In the AMA Magazine, the David Thompson Highway ranked #2 in the top scenic drives (I think in Canada or North America...not sure), but anyway, yes I agree but also, another breathtaking drive is Highway 93 from Banff right up to Jasper. We took my husband's sister & Partner to Crescent Falls in September last year - stunning! Have you seen Athabasca Falls on the way up to Jasper? And Peyto Lake (my personal favourite in the rockies)
Old May 3rd 2006, 3:27 pm
sticky beaking

Gorgeous! Thanks R2D2 I've set that 1st photo as my background. We can't wait for our first mountain trip in the summer. I think it's going to be a priority after our arrival in August. We went out to Jasper for a few days when we came over in February and it was amazing. We drove out to maligne lake and walked through maligne canyon. Other than a few bighorn sheep we had the place to ourselves!
I'm not kidding, we could go again and again and keep getting blown away every time LOVE IT !

Each of the 3 ways into the Rockies is mega, but down the David Thompson Highway has to be our fave. As you can see from the pic we had the road to ourselves too and that was a Long weekend.

My husband joked that, if Abraham Lake was in the UK, you'd have cars lined up parked alongside the Lake, ice cream vans, temporary stalls selling tat.......etc etc. Picture the scene????

Just seen your pics Great. We have stood on that very bridge too, except it wasn't all snowy. Like the sheep ! Is he being shy ??
Old May 3rd 2006, 3:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

[IMG] evFr4u-s7zF5uqbU0SpdT7MMQphxVjgu0300.jpg [/IMG]
Great pix ralstne! got any more?
Old May 3rd 2006, 3:32 pm
Forum Regular

[IMG]mountains[/IMG]
Sorry, trying to figure out how to attach some pics. Hopefully they'll be attached this time......
Attached Thumbnails Hi I'm New!-asaclge3uu9luhybaceynlyi-2pgll9t0300.jpg   Hi I'm New!-evfr4u-s7zf5uqbu0spdt7mmqphxvjgu0300.jpg   Hi I'm New!-ifuabvpun7cgfm3t8mk58tvdv7xqhjs-0300.jpg  
Old May 3rd 2006, 3:35 pm
sticky beaking

Originally Posted by alberta_jaycee
They are great pics R2D2....sent shivers looking at Lake Abraham. In the AMA Magazine, the David Thompson Highway ranked #2 in the top scenic drives (I think in Canada or North America...not sure), but anyway, yes I agree but also, another breathtaking drive is Highway 93 from Banff right up to Jasper. We took my husband's sister & Partner to Crescent Falls in September last year - stunning! Have you seen Athabasca Falls on the way up to Jasper? And Peyto Lake (my personal favourite in the rockies)
Yes been to Athabasca Falls and Sunwapta. And Yes, the amazingly beautiful Peyto.
On the September trip we also went over the border into BC and visited Emerald Lake, Takkakaw Falls and Natural Bridge. All stunning

Heading over to Revelstoke in BC this summer and exploring all around there.

Can't wait.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.