Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Hi has anybody been to canada on a study permit

Hi has anybody been to canada on a study permit

Old Feb 21st 2011, 5:18 pm
Forum Regular

lindabey is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Hi has anybody been to canada on a study permit

Just wondering if anybody has gone down the same route as we are going down and if its worked out for them.
Only way we can get in Canada is for me to go to college to do a
2 year course and my husband gets a open work visa. We are supposed to
return to U.K after 2 years but hope that my husband will get a job with the view to keeping him on full time and our permanent residence this way.
I am 48 and my husband 52 so this is a huge step but would like to
know if anybody has gone this route as well.
Thanks
Old Feb 21st 2011, 6:55 pm
Forum Regular

JENNYMG is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Hi has anybody been to canada on a study permit

Originally Posted by lindabey
Just wondering if anybody has gone down the same route as we are going down and if its worked out for them.
Only way we can get in Canada is for me to go to college to do a
2 year course and my husband gets a open work visa. We are supposed to
return to U.K after 2 years but hope that my husband will get a job with the view to keeping him on full time and our permanent residence this way.
I am 48 and my husband 52 so this is a huge step but would like to
know if anybody has gone this route as well.
Thanks
i am interested to know why after 2 years you would ahve to return home? is it not that graduates can apply for a 3 yr work permit once study is complete? or did i read that wrong?
Old Feb 21st 2011, 7:00 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by JENNYMG
i am interested to know why after 2 years you would ahve to return home? is it not that graduates can apply for a 3 yr work permit once study is complete? or did i read that wrong?
Hi apparantly you have to convince their govenment that you are only going
over there to study and that you will come home when you study time is up;
my course is for 2 years and thats why im hoping my hubby will get perm
job offer so we can apply for perm residence .
Old Feb 21st 2011, 8:07 pm
Forum Regular

The Lees is an unknown quantity at this point

We took this route almost 5 years ago as we felt this was our only option. It worked out as fortunately my husband's employer applied for LMO after 6 months so I was able to give up the study and look for work myself as this route is financially draining.

A lot depends on the course of study, the area of work and how much cash you have behind you.
Old Feb 21st 2011, 8:19 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by The Lees
We took this route almost 5 years ago as we felt this was our only option. It worked out as fortunately my husband's employer applied for LMO after 6 months so I was able to give up the study and look for work myself as this route is financially draining.

A lot depends on the course of study, the area of work and how much cash you have behind you.
Hi did you use a immigration consultant or do all this on your own. Ive just got
my college acceptance so am now applying for the study permit for me and work permit for my husband .
What course of study did you do? I am doing a administration course for 2 years .
What sort of job did your husband get in the end . My husband is a Mobile Crane Driver but can driver . also what about you what course did you do at college and how long did you carry that on for before you gave up. did you have till wait until your husband had permanent residence through. being nosey
what do you do now for an occupation. Do you like it there any regrets ?
Hope you dont mind all the questions.
Old Feb 21st 2011, 8:56 pm
Just Joined

flyboy74 has a reputation beyond reputeflyboy74 has a reputation beyond reputeflyboy74 has a reputation beyond reputeflyboy74 has a reputation beyond reputeflyboy74 has a reputation beyond reputeflyboy74 has a reputation beyond reputeflyboy74 has a reputation beyond reputeflyboy74 has a reputation beyond reputeflyboy74 has a reputation beyond reputeflyboy74 has a reputation beyond reputeflyboy74 has a reputation beyond repute

hi. i came to canada via this route (no immigration consultant), then got my PR card (with a consultant for peace of mind though i really don't think i needed one), and then got citizenship (no consultant).

i'm not sure how typical my experience was, but it was painless, and i have no regrets at all..
Old Feb 22nd 2011, 1:11 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by lindabey
Hi did you use a immigration consultant or do all this on your own. Ive just got
my college acceptance so am now applying for the study permit for me and work permit for my husband .
What course of study did you do? I am doing a administration course for 2 years .
What sort of job did your husband get in the end . My husband is a Mobile Crane Driver but can driver . also what about you what course did you do at college and how long did you carry that on for before you gave up. did you have till wait until your husband had permanent residence through. being nosey
what do you do now for an occupation. Do you like it there any regrets ?
Hope you dont mind all the questions.
No problem with the questions - glad to help.

We did all the whole thing on our own. Applied for PR as soon as my husband got a job in Canada - his area is retail management - which came through in just under 18 months.

I pretty much withdrew from the course, which was in Business, more or less as soon as we got my husbands official work permit in hand, primarily as financially it was a killer and I wanted to get back into work as soon as possible, and also it was odd being in a class of 19 year olds!

I now work in university admin which I was doing in the UK but it took a while with a couple of disasterous jobs along the way. I don't have regrets as such but not sure I would want to go through it all again as we have only now got to the same point we were at in the UK 5 years ago.

Where are you looking at settling in Canada?
Old Feb 22nd 2011, 6:21 am
Forum Regular

[QUOTE=The Lees;9192712]No problem with the questions - glad to help.

We did all the whole thing on our own. Applied for PR as soon as my husband got a job in Canada - his area is retail management - which came through in just under 18 months.

I pretty much withdrew from the course, which was in Business, more or less as soon as we got my husbands official work permit in hand, primarily as financially it was a killer and I wanted to get back into work as soon as possible, and also it was odd being in a class of 19 year olds!

I now work in university admin which I was doing in the UK but it took a while with a couple of disasterous jobs along the way. I don't have regrets as such but not sure I would want to go through it all again as we have only now got to the same point we were at in the UK 5 years ago.
thanks

Hi we are planning to come to Vancouver, . I know what you mean about
sitting in a classroom of youngsters. im not looking forward to that myself
I must admit. Are you enjoying life out there though and do you think your
way of life is better, wages better and are you staying there for good or are you thinking of returning to U.K. How old were you when you did the big move. I am a bit nervous about it all . Hate the thought of leaving my
parents who are in their 70s .
so lots of worries and woes but im hoping its all gonna be worth it
Old Feb 23rd 2011, 3:48 pm
Forum Regular

I was the grand age of 42 so looking back I really did stick out like a sore thumb in class but they were all pretty accepting, and there was even one other person a couple years younger than me as an ally!

I don't think we have necessarily a better life here, just different, but then again I imagine Vancouver will be very different again to Ontario where we are located. We are probably earning slightly more than we were in the UK but the biggest surprise to us was the higher cost of living than we expected. The big ticket items are cheaper but the day-to-day bills and insurance especially etc. - huge sticker shock!

Overall it's been an interesting if not stressful move but we won't be returning any time soon, if ever, as we have teenage kids and they have assimilated into Canadians now.