Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Hi from Cambridge (Ontario) Ex-Accrington UK

Hi from Cambridge (Ontario) Ex-Accrington UK

Old Jan 16th 2007, 8:24 pm
Just Joined

Raffs is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Hi from Cambridge (Ontario) Ex-Accrington UK

Hello to all who are living in Canada, thinking of moving to Canada and have made the bold move in applying to come here. I along with my wife, two children and springer spaniel moved to Cambrdige, Ontario in October 2006, we have just had our first Canadian Xmas and had a wonderful time together as a family.

We first touched base with the Canadian High Commission in London, in early 2004, sending our application in the February and receiving our file no. two months later in April. The whole process seemed to take forever and we finally got our visas sorted in September 2006 (it would have been a lot quicker but my wife was pregnant with our youngest and he had to have the medical too).

Our house sold in mid 2006 and we spent almost three months living with parents before coming here on October 29th and moving into our new 3000 Square feet home in Cambridge, almost three times the size of our previous property, with swimming pool, lots of land and backing onto the golf course, all for the same price!

We always planned on spending Xmas together as a family as we knew it would be one of the only times in our lives we didn't have the pressure of work and we have been living the high retired life, not bad for two 30 year olds.

We have just stepped up the process of securing long term employment and have some irons in the fire, our eldest child has started school and the move has been successful to this point.

I certainly miss my friends, the local boozer and Burnley FC (I was a supporter for almost 26 years), but my wife says she doesn't miss a single thing about the UK and has no plans to return!!! (a bit harsh I think).

The lifestyle here is second to none, this place beats the UK hands down and the opportunities for a family are far beyond what is offered in the UK. We had been to Canada on three seperate occasions before finally arriving as permanent residents, spending almost a month on each visit, so we had no qualms about making the move.

If we can help anyone with regards to settling, thinking about making the move, transferring money from the UK to Canada, air transport of pets or anything else, please feel free to send us an email and we'll get back to you asap.

regards

Michael, Gemma, Marley & Harris Rafferty (Cambridge, Ontario)
Old Jan 16th 2007, 8:33 pm
Banned

Butch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Hi from Cambridge (Ontario) Ex-Accrington UK

Hello guys,

Cant believe theres more of us from the home of the Stanley.
I Grew up in Bash and Huncoat.

Old Jan 16th 2007, 8:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

steve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Butch Cassidy
Hello guys,

But where is Printer?
Old Jan 16th 2007, 8:36 pm
Banned

Butch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by steve666
But where is Printer?
I used to spend many a night in the printers arms if that helps.
Old Jan 16th 2007, 8:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

steve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond repute

I used to spend many a night in the printers arms if that helps.
Nope, no help at all. THANKS!
Old Jan 16th 2007, 8:41 pm
Banned

Nope, no help at all. THANKS!
sorry
Old Jan 16th 2007, 11:27 pm
Forum Regular

jood has a brilliant futurejood has a brilliant futurejood has a brilliant futurejood has a brilliant futurejood has a brilliant futurejood has a brilliant futurejood has a brilliant futurejood has a brilliant future

But where is Printer?
My husband is a time-served printer....I'm prepared to rent him out if you want.....
Old Jan 16th 2007, 11:31 pm
Reunited

raine66 has a reputation beyond reputeraine66 has a reputation beyond reputeraine66 has a reputation beyond reputeraine66 has a reputation beyond reputeraine66 has a reputation beyond reputeraine66 has a reputation beyond reputeraine66 has a reputation beyond reputeraine66 has a reputation beyond reputeraine66 has a reputation beyond reputeraine66 has a reputation beyond reputeraine66 has a reputation beyond repute

Hello and welcome
Old Jan 17th 2007, 2:17 am
BE Forum Addict

flashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond repute

Hello guys,

Close enough to Great Harwood the centre of the universe!
Old Jan 17th 2007, 3:10 am
Banned

Originally Posted by flashman
Close enough to Great Harwood the centre of the universe!
I've got friends up in Harwood as we speak.
Old Jan 17th 2007, 2:45 pm
Just Joined

Raffs is an unknown quantity at this point

We actually lived behind Accrington Stanley's football ground on the new estate (the old brick yard!), then moved in with my wife's parents in Great Harwood when we sold the house prior to moving here. She spent all her years there before marrying me and moving to Accrington.

Her parents are just over at the moment from Great Harwood, their first experience of Canada and they are enjoying their visit. They live on Bostons.
Old Jan 17th 2007, 2:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

flashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Raffs
We actually lived behind Accrington Stanley's football ground on the new estate (the old brick yard!), then moved in with my wife's parents in Great Harwood when we sold the house prior to moving here. She spent all her years there before marrying me and moving to Accrington.

Her parents are just over at the moment from Great Harwood, their first experience of Canada and they are enjoying their visit. They live on Bostons.

Your missus might be interested in joining the 'Arrod discussion group at

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/greatharwood/
Old Jan 20th 2007, 6:03 pm
little snowy owl

Alberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond repute

"Acccrington Shtanley? Who're they???"
"Exaccctly!"

Sorry, old "milk advert". made me laugh.

I'm sure it's a very nice place!
Old Jan 20th 2007, 6:06 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by Morwenna
"Exaccctly!"

Actually its the a*s*hole of the universe.

I'm allowed to say that I was raised there (well for the 1st 11 years) and returned after my sojourn in Australia
Old Jan 21st 2007, 3:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

Linda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Morwenna
"Exaccctly!"