Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Hi from Calgary

Hi from Calgary

Old Feb 26th 2008, 8:17 pm
GO FLAMES GO!!!!

Steve&Tanya is a splendid one to beholdSteve&Tanya is a splendid one to beholdSteve&Tanya is a splendid one to beholdSteve&Tanya is a splendid one to beholdSteve&Tanya is a splendid one to beholdSteve&Tanya is a splendid one to beholdSteve&Tanya is a splendid one to beholdSteve&Tanya is a splendid one to beholdSteve&Tanya is a splendid one to beholdSteve&Tanya is a splendid one to beholdSteve&Tanya is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Hi from Calgary

Originally Posted by Celia Medley
Hi Steve and Tanya,

How long have you been in Calgary? We are living in the S.W. where abouts are you?
We are down in the SW too in Evergreen. Have been here 23 months now and absolutely love it here. Have been back to the UK a couple of times and felt homesick for Calgary when we were there.
Old Feb 26th 2008, 8:26 pm
Forum Regular

Celia Medley is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi,

We live in Shawnee Drive so I don't think we are far from you. We are so glad we made the move here. Our house is so much larger than we had in the U.K. and I can say we all have elbow room to move here
Old Feb 26th 2008, 8:31 pm
GO FLAMES GO!!!!

Steve&Tanya is a splendid one to beholdSteve&Tanya is a splendid one to beholdSteve&Tanya is a splendid one to beholdSteve&Tanya is a splendid one to beholdSteve&Tanya is a splendid one to beholdSteve&Tanya is a splendid one to beholdSteve&Tanya is a splendid one to beholdSteve&Tanya is a splendid one to beholdSteve&Tanya is a splendid one to beholdSteve&Tanya is a splendid one to beholdSteve&Tanya is a splendid one to behold

Hi,

We live in Shawnee Drive so I don't think we are far from you. We are so glad we made the move here. Our house is so much larger than we had in the U.K. and I can say we all have elbow room to move here
Yep you are not far from us at all, I know Shawnee Drive
It isn't just the bigger house and nicer car that we enjoy, it is just a feeling of belonging that we have here. Wouldn't change it for the world
Old Feb 26th 2008, 8:35 pm
Just Joined

chater is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Celia,

My husband has just signed a contract for a company based in Calgary and we're hoping to move out in Sptember....can't wait!
We came over for a recce trip a few weeks ago for interviews etc and loved it. We are looking at moving to Cochrane, is that far from you? Would you have any advise or tips for us for when we get there?
Getting a little worried with what has to be done it that time but I know we're not the only ones in this position and I guess it will work out eventually.
Old Feb 26th 2008, 8:59 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by chater
Hi Celia,

My husband has just signed a contract for a company based in Calgary and we're hoping to move out in Sptember....can't wait!
We came over for a recce trip a few weeks ago for interviews etc and loved it. We are looking at moving to Cochrane, is that far from you? Would you have any advise or tips for us for when we get there?
Getting a little worried with what has to be done it that time but I know we're not the only ones in this position and I guess it will work out eventually.
Hi Chater,

I have a feeling that Cochrane is up toward the North, we live in the S.W.
Tips for when you get over, that's a difficult one. Do you have an email address so that I can tell you what we did?
Old Feb 26th 2008, 9:25 pm
Cheesey Dippin-Dunkin

Harrypottermouse has much to be proud ofHarrypottermouse has much to be proud ofHarrypottermouse has much to be proud ofHarrypottermouse has much to be proud ofHarrypottermouse has much to be proud ofHarrypottermouse has much to be proud ofHarrypottermouse has much to be proud ofHarrypottermouse has much to be proud ofHarrypottermouse has much to be proud ofHarrypottermouse has much to be proud ofHarrypottermouse has much to be proud of

Hi Dawn,

We lived in Tilehurst just off Chapel Hill. We had lived there for over 12 years and noticed that the whole of Reading and the U.K. really was changing and I'm sorry to say not for the better.
I hope you enjoy your visit to Regina and find what you're looking for.
It would be great to keep in contact with you, and I have put my email address on here. If I can be of any help then please let me know.
Hi Celia

I'm being a bit thick - where did you put your email address...? Sorry - too many short nights I'm affraid.

I agree since the girls were born (Piglet is 5 in November), my views on things have changed quite a lot and just the "must have" competativeness, drink till you drop culture frightens me...

We have been to Canada several times before, based out in Canmore, spending many a happy hour driving in Kananaskis and that is where we fell in love with Canada - Jasper especially and all along the Icefield Parkway...Athabasca and Sunwapta falls...but alas - not really good work prospects that way for the OH - he works with Airplanes...so, bound to the big cities (we thought)...

However, things are on the up - we spend 3 nights in Regina at a conference, then we are driving out to Yorkton, then off to Saskatoon to meet up with cousin not seen since he was 12 - over 30 years...so this will be fun, then just to end off our Recci (hoping to settle in Yorkton) we are spending a little time in Moose Jaw to unwind in the spa before flying back home.

So a fun packed time and a big learning curve...I will PM you my email address - I'm not a technophobe but I just get by shall we say

TTFN

Dawn
Old Feb 27th 2008, 4:27 am
Forum Regular

sarah & andy is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Celia
We have been in Calgary nearly a year,we are in the SE.
Sorry to hear about your cat,that must of been heartbreaking.We had two in the UK and decided to rehome them as they loved being outdoors and we did not know if they would survive journey/bylaws of remaining indoors or weather conditions(both 10yrs old).Have just adopted an 11mth old rescue cat too!!
Sarah.
Old Feb 27th 2008, 9:08 am
Just Joined

Jackson80 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello everyone

I am in the process of applying to Calgary Police, having got sick of being treated like c**p as a British Police Officer by the goverment !! I am coming over in April for my tests and fingers crossed if successful will be moving over as soon as possible after that with my wife and 5 year old boy.

So hello out there....... please tell me I'm doing the right thing??!! Is it as good as everyone tells me?

Cheers

Chris
Old Feb 27th 2008, 12:31 pm
Cheesey Dippin-Dunkin

Harrypottermouse has much to be proud ofHarrypottermouse has much to be proud ofHarrypottermouse has much to be proud ofHarrypottermouse has much to be proud ofHarrypottermouse has much to be proud ofHarrypottermouse has much to be proud ofHarrypottermouse has much to be proud ofHarrypottermouse has much to be proud ofHarrypottermouse has much to be proud ofHarrypottermouse has much to be proud ofHarrypottermouse has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Jackson80
Hello everyone

I am in the process of applying to Calgary Police, having got sick of being treated like c**p as a British Police Officer by the goverment !! I am coming over in April for my tests and fingers crossed if successful will be moving over as soon as possible after that with my wife and 5 year old boy.

So hello out there....... please tell me I'm doing the right thing??!! Is it as good as everyone tells me?

Cheers

Chris
Hi Chris - we are in Reading and we're looking to escape - if you feel like that up in the beautiful lake district - you bet you're doing the right thing...

Keep fingers crossed - we want to be there too for a better life for us and our children. Hang in there and do your research...then do a bit more.

We fly out tomorrow for our recci with the location we've chosen (or the job that chose us) and starting to dig into all things Canadian as a reality. We've been many times before on holiday - but we're hoping this will give us a different perspective as we have a busy schedule of meetings and greetings etc. especially with prospective new employer so very nervous.

Keep asking questions too - everyone on here seems really friendly and willing to help - they are also a source of sanity it seems.

Dawn
Old Feb 27th 2008, 5:11 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Harrypottermouse
Hi Chris - we are in Reading and we're looking to escape - if you feel like that up in the beautiful lake district - you bet you're doing the right thing...

Keep fingers crossed - we want to be there too for a better life for us and our children. Hang in there and do your research...then do a bit more.

We fly out tomorrow for our recci with the location we've chosen (or the job that chose us) and starting to dig into all things Canadian as a reality. We've been many times before on holiday - but we're hoping this will give us a different perspective as we have a busy schedule of meetings and greetings etc. especially with prospective new employer so very nervous.

Keep asking questions too - everyone on here seems really friendly and willing to help - they are also a source of sanity it seems.

Dawn
Hi Dawn

Thanks for that, good luck with the reccie trip, hope it all goes well with the new employer. And yes the Lake District is beautiful but we are still governed by the same bunch of idiots as the rest of the country!!! So Calgary it is (I hope)

Chris
Old Feb 27th 2008, 7:40 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by sarah & andy
Hi Celia
We have been in Calgary nearly a year,we are in the SE.
Sorry to hear about your cat,that must of been heartbreaking.We had two in the UK and decided to rehome them as they loved being outdoors and we did not know if they would survive journey/bylaws of remaining indoors or weather conditions(both 10yrs old).Have just adopted an 11mth old rescue cat too!!
Sarah.
Hi Sarah,

Good to hear that you also addopted a kitten as we did. We are loving it here and with the sunshine we have at the moment it can't be beaten :-)
Where abouts do you live in the S.E.?

Celia.
Old Feb 27th 2008, 7:44 pm
Forum Regular

Hello everyone

Cheers

Chris
Hi Chris,

Yes, you are doing the right thing by coming over. Calgary is great it's not too large for a city, we have the Rocky Mountains, and so much wildlife.
The people here are very friendly and polite, not the same as you would get in the U.K.
If you have any question's then please feel free to ask me.

Celia
Old Feb 27th 2008, 9:26 pm
Just Joined

Hi Chris,

Yes, you are doing the right thing by coming over. Calgary is great it's not too large for a city, we have the Rocky Mountains, and so much wildlife.
The people here are very friendly and polite, not the same as you would get in the U.K.
If you have any question's then please feel free to ask me.

Celia
Thanks Celia, nice to meet you..

It does sound great and just what we want, Rockies for skiing and walking and a better life and opportunity for our son.

We have soooo many questions! Don't know where to start.......

My wife, Nichola is a chef/catering manager at the moment and although she initially want's to take a bit of time out if and when we get there, what opportunities would there be for her?

Having the length of police service I have over here I have been told I would go straight onto the top constable pay scale in Calgary, but what would you say would be a good amount of money in the bank to have behind us?

Where would you recomend living, have been told North or South west is good?

Thanks

Chris
Old Feb 27th 2008, 9:40 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks Celia, nice to meet you..

It does sound great and just what we want, Rockies for skiing and walking and a better life and opportunity for our son.

We have soooo many questions! Don't know where to start.......

My wife, Nichola is a chef/catering manager at the moment and although she initially want's to take a bit of time out if and when we get there, what opportunities would there be for her?

Having the length of police service I have over here I have been told I would go straight onto the top constable pay scale in Calgary, but what would you say would be a good amount of money in the bank to have behind us?

Where would you recomend living, have been told North or South west is good?

Thanks

Chris
Hi Chris,

I sent you a private message with my email address and can email you back with some details.
The North is nice but there has been a lot of house building up there and not all the transport is in place yet ie- the c-train.

We love the South there is the C-train for transport and where it seems to have been established a long time people have trees in their gardens which look really nice.

Talk soon I hope,
Celia.
Old Feb 28th 2008, 4:41 am
Just Joined

britchik is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Celia, I'm new to BE too, but not to Calgary. Now been here almost nine years, originally from South London. Sorry to hear about your cat, but glad you are settling in well.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.