Reload this Page >

Hi to all in Nova Scotia

Wikiposts

Hi to all in Nova Scotia

Old Dec 29th 2007, 2:15 am
Just Joined

Garcias is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Hi to all in Nova Scotia

Hi we have just registered and are in the UK hoping to move to Nova Scotia in 2008. However, the job market is difficult to get into. We would be grateful if there is anyone with some good advice on how to get work before moving, or whether it is easier to move and then get work?

Thanks

Karen & Cliff:

Last edited by Garcias; Dec 29th 2007 at 2:16 am. Reason: Missed where we are from
Old Dec 29th 2007, 2:46 am
BE Forum Addict

destinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Hi to all in Nova Scotia

Hi and welcome.

What is your job?

Last edited by destinationnovascotia; Dec 29th 2007 at 3:02 am.
Old Dec 29th 2007, 3:54 am
Just Joined

Hi,

I am a Commercial Insurance Manager and Cliff is a HGV class 1 truck driver.
Old Dec 29th 2007, 7:38 am
Going for a Soda

TiggyP is a jewel in the roughTiggyP is a jewel in the roughTiggyP is a jewel in the roughTiggyP is a jewel in the roughTiggyP is a jewel in the rough

Hi and welcome!

I found it a lot easier to get work once I moved to Canada, employers often wanted to see me as soon as they saw my resume. And once you are here it is easier to discover jobs not advertised on the internet!
Old Dec 29th 2007, 8:02 am
Scottish Canuck

Cookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond repute

Hi and welcome from a very snowy, but not cold (-1C) Nova Scotia

I would agree that it may be easier to secure a job after you move here as networking can also play a huge part on gaining employment. However Mr Y-C-D managed to secure a job (telecommunications) from an online advert whilst we were still in the UK so it can be done.

Why don't you be proactive while you are waiting to come over and state your intentions on your job applications. That way you may have some interviews lined up once you land.

Good luck
Old Dec 29th 2007, 9:22 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by TiggyP
Hi and welcome!

I found it a lot easier to get work once I moved to Canada, employers often wanted to see me as soon as they saw my resume. And once you are here it is easier to discover jobs not advertised on the internet!
Hi TiggyP,

How long did it take you to find a job when you moved to NS?. Did you rent accommodation when you first arrived or buy?.
Old Dec 29th 2007, 9:42 am
Going for a Soda

TiggyP is a jewel in the roughTiggyP is a jewel in the roughTiggyP is a jewel in the roughTiggyP is a jewel in the roughTiggyP is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by Garcias
Hi TiggyP,

How long did it take you to find a job when you moved to NS?. Did you rent accommodation when you first arrived or buy?.
I actually applied for the job while I was working in Toronto! I was at least in the same country, which seemed to help.
We bought a house here before we moved from TO (which was actually pretty painless, apart from the flights and hectic weekend house-hunts...)
Old Dec 29th 2007, 11:27 pm
Forum Regular

charlie1 is a glorious beacon of lightcharlie1 is a glorious beacon of lightcharlie1 is a glorious beacon of lightcharlie1 is a glorious beacon of lightcharlie1 is a glorious beacon of lightcharlie1 is a glorious beacon of lightcharlie1 is a glorious beacon of lightcharlie1 is a glorious beacon of lightcharlie1 is a glorious beacon of lightcharlie1 is a glorious beacon of lightcharlie1 is a glorious beacon of light

Hi,

I am a Commercial Insurance Manager and Cliff is a HGV class 1 truck driver.
Hubby shouldn't have difficulty finding work there is a huge shortage of drivers here, as for yourself you will find it a lot easier once you have landed. You may have to be prepared to take a few steps back to prove yourself, but there is a great deal of work available out here, not always what you want but at least it is work.
Old Dec 29th 2007, 11:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

Ontheboatout has much to be proud ofOntheboatout has much to be proud ofOntheboatout has much to be proud ofOntheboatout has much to be proud ofOntheboatout has much to be proud ofOntheboatout has much to be proud ofOntheboatout has much to be proud ofOntheboatout has much to be proud ofOntheboatout has much to be proud ofOntheboatout has much to be proud ofOntheboatout has much to be proud of

I agree with everyone else - its easier when you are here. You may even find you want to do something else here also - there is much opportunity.

Now to get here - check out the NS Provincial Community Identified stream. It is "fast" and free and is a good way if your circumstances are right.
Old Dec 30th 2007, 10:45 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Ontheboatout
I agree with everyone else - its easier when you are here. You may even find you want to do something else here also - there is much opportunity.

Now to get here - check out the NS Provincial Community Identified stream. It is "fast" and free and is a good way if your circumstances are right.
Hi,

Many thanks for the advice, How do I check out the NS Provincial Community Identified stream?
Old Dec 30th 2007, 10:47 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by charlie1
Hubby shouldn't have difficulty finding work there is a huge shortage of drivers here, as for yourself you will find it a lot easier once you have landed. You may have to be prepared to take a few steps back to prove yourself, but there is a great deal of work available out here, not always what you want but at least it is work.
Many thanks Charlie1,

You have helped us make up our minds we are on our way as soon as possible.
Old Dec 31st 2007, 3:41 am
BE Enthusiast

Ontheboatout has much to be proud ofOntheboatout has much to be proud ofOntheboatout has much to be proud ofOntheboatout has much to be proud ofOntheboatout has much to be proud ofOntheboatout has much to be proud ofOntheboatout has much to be proud ofOntheboatout has much to be proud ofOntheboatout has much to be proud ofOntheboatout has much to be proud ofOntheboatout has much to be proud of

Hi,

Many thanks for the advice, How do I check out the NS Provincial Community Identified stream?
It is a "new" and unpublicized route in Nova Scotia - I am not sure it happens in other Provinces. Basically you need to get involved in community life and get letters of recommendation from such as neighbours, clubs, school, church etc and have an interview with the regional development agency (ours was Cumberland County (CREDA) who were great. They then recommend your application to the Province and off you go! There is an annual allocation so it is worth contacting immigration to see how that is going - yes, you even get to speak to senior immigration officers!

Now the hard and scary bit - you ideally need to buy a property and live here. We had previously bought a property. Then after being so depressed on our return we came out on a six month visitors visa then extended it for a further year (surprisingly easily). We were on the long haul Skilled Worker when we found out about the Community Identified route by chance. After 9 months of living here we applied (getting involved with the community just comes naturally). It took just six months from application to landing. It is free to apply but you still have to pay the normal Federal landing fees. I would recommend it to anyone who can afford to live here without work for nine months - that was the scary bit! We sold up in the UK to do it - a risk but we are here and living the dream!

http://www.novascotiaimmigration.com/en-page1095.aspx
Old Jan 1st 2008, 1:29 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Ontheboatout
It is a "new" and unpublicized route in Nova Scotia - I am not sure it happens in other Provinces. Basically you need to get involved in community life and get letters of recommendation from such as neighbours, clubs, school, church etc and have an interview with the regional development agency (ours was Cumberland County (CREDA) who were great. They then recommend your application to the Province and off you go! There is an annual allocation so it is worth contacting immigration to see how that is going - yes, you even get to speak to senior immigration officers!

Now the hard and scary bit - you ideally need to buy a property and live here. We had previously bought a property. Then after being so depressed on our return we came out on a six month visitors visa then extended it for a further year (surprisingly easily). We were on the long haul Skilled Worker when we found out about the Community Identified route by chance. After 9 months of living here we applied (getting involved with the community just comes naturally). It took just six months from application to landing. It is free to apply but you still have to pay the normal Federal landing fees. I would recommend it to anyone who can afford to live here without work for nine months - that was the scary bit! We sold up in the UK to do it - a risk but we are here and living the dream!

http://www.novascotiaimmigration.com/en-page1095.aspx
Many thanks, this has been really useful. We have already decided to sell up and take the plunge, so what you have told us has been a great encouragement.

Nova Scotia here we come!