Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

hi all new to BE

hi all new to BE

Old Sep 12th 2007, 6:39 pm
Forum Regular

---mlm--- is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile hi all new to BE

hi all, i'm new to BE and obviously looking into moving to Canada. But Where!!! Me and my husband have thought what the hek, we'll go if we don't like it (which i can't see that happening) then we'll return back home to the uk! We've got nothing to lose but everything to gain. We have 2 children aged 10 & 5 but cannot decide where to look? for best schooling etc. any suggestions? We have booked to go out to Canada and are staying in edmonton for 2 weeks in jan and want to have a good look round then. Any suggestions as where to look to live would be appreciated.
Old Sep 12th 2007, 6:57 pm
Forum Regular

redrosed is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: hi all new to BE

Hi there and welcome to BE
Fairly new myself so others prob have more advice but just want to say Hi and totally agree with "go and if you dont like it, come back"...our moto too but hopefully we will never have to do it! We are off to Saskatoon which seems really nice place but good bit quieter than Edmonton/Calgary so depends what you looking for. Also schooling differs between provinces so make sure you check out whichever province you interested in. Wiki section will offer some good advice too..
My friends sister moved to Edmonton years ago and dont think they ever looked back.
Good luck and enjoy
Old Sep 12th 2007, 7:09 pm
Lloydminster AB

kate white has a reputation beyond reputekate white has a reputation beyond reputekate white has a reputation beyond reputekate white has a reputation beyond reputekate white has a reputation beyond reputekate white has a reputation beyond reputekate white has a reputation beyond reputekate white has a reputation beyond reputekate white has a reputation beyond reputekate white has a reputation beyond reputekate white has a reputation beyond repute

cant tell you where to go in canada but just wishing you welcome to the best mad house on herelots of nutters and it wont be long before you become a fruitcake as wellgood luck
kate
Old Sep 12th 2007, 7:24 pm

moondevil will become famous soon enoughmoondevil will become famous soon enough

Welcome to BE

You need to follow your heart and go where the work takes you
Have a good look round, houses are fab, schools are awesome and take in some sites as well.

We have a 9,5 and a 2 yr old and visited ontario in january this year, get ready for the cold weather, we loved it

Make sure you have some warm clothes on when you get off the plane, we got off the plane in toronto to SNOW

gill
Old Sep 12th 2007, 7:55 pm

Member123 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello and a warm welcome as you will need it going to Canada in January

What line of work are you/OH in and do you want to find a job first and go on a WP?

When you are there in January you could approach employers as it is best done face to face. Getting a job that is

We are going to Saskatchewan because that is where my OH landed his job and we were out in June and really fell in love with it...its all personal taste and what suits your own family.

You will get lots of advice on BE and a word of warning....watch out for Rob4BC and LornaD

Alison
Old Sep 12th 2007, 8:01 pm

moondevil will become famous soon enoughmoondevil will become famous soon enough

Hey i was advised to watch out for Alvic
Old Sep 12th 2007, 9:06 pm
sticky beaking

R2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to behold

The different provinces vary so much as you probably already know, so if Alberta doesn't 'do it' for you, another could look and feel quite different.

When we came we wanted either BC or AB as we knew we wanted to access The Rockies. Hubby got offered a job in Edmonton, so here we are and really enjoying it.
Aesthetically, we prefer the countryside of BC over AB, but there are many aspects to living here that appeal. No PST for one thing.

If you are city people, then there are good and not so good parts to be in, as with every city. Research your spot carefully. If, like us, you want a satellite community, then my suggestion would be to focus on, Sherwood Park, St Albert and Beaumont. They are the nicest family communities imo.

Feel free to pm on any specifics, esp about Sherwood Park. Always happy to help out.
Old Sep 13th 2007, 9:12 am

Member123 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by gill_andy_grew
Your're soooo funny
Old Sep 13th 2007, 11:48 am
Lloydminster AB

kate white has a reputation beyond reputekate white has a reputation beyond reputekate white has a reputation beyond reputekate white has a reputation beyond reputekate white has a reputation beyond reputekate white has a reputation beyond reputekate white has a reputation beyond reputekate white has a reputation beyond reputekate white has a reputation beyond reputekate white has a reputation beyond reputekate white has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gill_andy_grew
funny I heard that one as well
Old Sep 13th 2007, 11:49 am
Lloydminster AB

Originally Posted by Alvic
Your're soooo funny
geeeeeezzzzzzzzz a hug