Wikiposts

Hi all

Old Feb 21st 2011, 1:38 am
Just Joined

sparky32 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Hi all

Hey there all, me and my partner have decided we would like to make the move to Canada, Nova Scotia in particular. We have been researching but we have found it quite overwhelming with the amount of conflicting information or info that embellishes on things we knew but leads us to a dead end. So I thought I would finally join here instead of just lurking.

I apologise if some of my questions have been asked before but as I mentioned before I feel I'm second guessing every bit of info in case its bad info.

I have enough points on the test for the skilled worker route, I am an electrician and my partner is a qualified hairdresser, and I realise I can try this way as long as I have the desired criteria, which is fine. But I would feel alot better if I knew I was going to a job, from what I have read alot of job offers seem to be by either luck or by knowing someone. I have tried to search for vacancies but there does not seem to be very many publicised for my trade. So could anyone recommend a site or newspaper or some resource that may deal with electrician or construction trade vacancies in particular? Also, how helpful are consultant agencies in finding work when they say they can as part of the process?

Also from what I can see, I think I would be required to gain a red seal qualification, now would I be allowed to work without one if I could prove my U.K. qualifications while the red seal was in process And do any of my UK qualifications (17th edition, CSCS, ECS, BOSIET and MYST) transfer over or do they basically mean nothing in Canada?

One last question, if I manage to get there having gone as an electrician on my documents, is it a case of I am supposed to only do that job? I mean if I am having trouble finding electrician work when I get there but I am offered a job as a labourer or something, is it illegal for me to take that job as I am there on a skilled worker visa as a electrician.

Thanks for your time if you have read this far, as said I have found it hard to get simple answers at times, especially regarding my qualifications, and well meaning people have gave me their opinion but passed it off as fact, which hasn't helped. Hopefully someone who is a spark will be able to help.

Thanks again.
Old Feb 21st 2011, 2:28 am
Forum Regular

Oscardon is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Hi all

My other half is a plumber and he has to challenge the RedSeal which means that he has to prove he has over 9,000 hours of experience once he has done this he then takes the Red Seal exam and can work as a plumber/journey man in BC. the only problem is that to take the exam you have to have either a canadian passport, driving lincense or BC id. We are sorting this out when we land. You can get books which will assist in sitting the exam, what we have found out is that you really need to have the Red seal before you will be considered for work. Unless you go unskilled labour but why do that when you have a trade and for the sake of an exam you can be earning much better money.

good luck hope this helps a bit.
Old Feb 21st 2011, 3:24 am
no I aint

Flogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sparky32
Hey there all, me and my partner have decided we would like to make the move to Canada, Nova Scotia in particular. We have been researching but we have found it quite overwhelming with the amount of conflicting information or info that embellishes on things we knew but leads us to a dead end. So I thought I would finally join here instead of just lurking.

I apologise if some of my questions have been asked before but as I mentioned before I feel I'm second guessing every bit of info in case its bad info.

I have enough points on the test for the skilled worker route, I am an electrician and my partner is a qualified hairdresser, and I realise I can try this way as long as I have the desired criteria, which is fine. But I would feel alot better if I knew I was going to a job, from what I have read alot of job offers seem to be by either luck or by knowing someone. I have tried to search for vacancies but there does not seem to be very many publicised for my trade. So could anyone recommend a site or newspaper or some resource that may deal with electrician or construction trade vacancies in particular? Also, how helpful are consultant agencies in finding work when they say they can as part of the process?

Also from what I can see, I think I would be required to gain a red seal qualification, now would I be allowed to work without one if I could prove my U.K. qualifications while the red seal was in process And do any of my UK qualifications (17th edition, CSCS, ECS, BOSIET and MYST) transfer over or do they basically mean nothing in Canada?

One last question, if I manage to get there having gone as an electrician on my documents, is it a case of I am supposed to only do that job? I mean if I am having trouble finding electrician work when I get there but I am offered a job as a labourer or something, is it illegal for me to take that job as I am there on a skilled worker visa as a electrician.

Thanks for your time if you have read this far, as said I have found it hard to get simple answers at times, especially regarding my qualifications, and well meaning people have gave me their opinion but passed it off as fact, which hasn't helped. Hopefully someone who is a spark will be able to help.

Thanks again.

Have a look at http://www.jobbank.gc.ca/intro-eng.aspx You can refine your serch to your chosen field and province.

In answer to your last question. Unless you are going with a TWP tied to a paticular job offer, you are open to pursue any job, in any field you want.
Old Feb 22nd 2011, 3:16 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Oscardon
My other half is a plumber and he has to challenge the RedSeal which means that he has to prove he has over 9,000 hours of experience once he has done this he then takes the Red Seal exam and can work as a plumber/journey man in BC. the only problem is that to take the exam you have to have either a canadian passport, driving lincense or BC id. We are sorting this out when we land. You can get books which will assist in sitting the exam, what we have found out is that you really need to have the Red seal before you will be considered for work. Unless you go unskilled labour but why do that when you have a trade and for the sake of an exam you can be earning much better money.

good luck hope this helps a bit.
Thank you for the reply, thats cleared a few things up for me. As I said I could not find a definite answer about that but you have put it to bed.

Thanks and good luck to you and your fella, I'm sure he will ace his test.

Originally Posted by Flogger
Have a look at http://www.jobbank.gc.ca/intro-eng.aspx You can refine your serch to your chosen field and province.

In answer to your last question. Unless you are going with a TWP tied to a paticular job offer, you are open to pursue any job, in any field you want.
Thanks also for the reply, Flogger. Thank you for the link and that answer has also nailed one of the questions that seemed to danced around.

thanks again.

Last edited by sparky32; Feb 22nd 2011 at 3:19 am.
Old Feb 22nd 2011, 3:27 am
Forum Regular

Oscardon is an unknown quantity at this point

no worries glad to help
Old Feb 22nd 2011, 3:41 am
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sparky32
I have enough points on the test for the skilled worker route, I am an electrician and my partner is a qualified hairdresser, and I realise I can try this way as long as I have the desired criteria, which is fine. But I would feel alot better if I knew I was going to a job, from what I have read alot of job offers seem to be by either luck or by knowing someone. I have tried to search for vacancies but there does not seem to be very many publicised for my trade.

I can understand why you would want to get a job lined up in advance. It is not completely impossible but unlikely. If you really want to move to Canada you will most likely have to take a leap of faith at some point.

Rad the wiki section on job hunting. It is the best advice there is. Start here ... http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Canada_is_different!!!

So could anyone recommend a site or newspaper or some resource that may deal with electrician or construction trade vacancies in particular?
In Vancouver I would say Craig's list is probably the best starting point. No idea about NS.

Also, how helpful are consultant agencies in finding work when they say they can as part of the process?
Not very helpful at all.

You can work as an apprentice. In practice this means you will do everything a qualified electrician would do, just that you need a journeyman to supervise and sign off on your work.

If you are in Canada as a permanent resident (the outcome of the skilled worker route) then you can take any job you want. If you are here on temporary work permit you are tied to the job that got you the permit.

I'm not a sparkie but I think this is all correct. No doubt others will correct me if I'm wrong.
Old Mar 1st 2011, 11:09 am
Just Joined

Thanks for that JonboyE, it was really helpful.