Hi!

Old Nov 23rd 2019, 3:21 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Hi!

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse
Don't worry about him, he's a Manc and that's all that needs to be said really, isn't it Can't answer your questions sorry as I'm in Australia with my scouse husband. I lived on Merseyside for 3 years and Liverpool is the most fantastic city, I absolutely love it. Going over for another 6 weeks visit in a few months Best of luck with your decision and future!
I am not a Manc I am a Lancastrian which is a huge difference. Yes Liverpool and Manchester used to be in Lancashire but in 1974 we got rid of the Scouse and Mancs as they were lowering the tone of the county.
Old Nov 23rd 2019, 3:46 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Let's not get distracted please... questions have been asked because they need answers, not a chit chat about where you lived.

Thank you.
Old Nov 23rd 2019, 3:50 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Louisebrad
Hello all! My husband may have the opportunity to move to Canada through his work and they are going to pay for our move, visa, flights, place to stay for 3 months etc. He will have a great salary with health insurance for us all and other benefits.
we have always said we would love to move but now the opportunity seems to be coming im having a bit of a wobble! We live in Liverpool in a lovely area we have nice big house and our children go to a beautiful school we’re they are thriving, we always wanted to move for the ‘better way of life’ but reading through the threads it seems everyone is 50/50 on if Canada is in fact ‘better’ we are looking at burrlington and oakville and they are hoping to fly us out for a week once decisions have been made but as some of you have said you can’t really grasp much in a week. My biggest concern is schooling, we have 4 children aged 9,8,7 and 4 I’m just wondering if anyone has moved with children of similar age and how they adjusted. And totally random question but do supermarkets, restaurants have many vegan alternatives. Thanks in advance xx
Avoid living in Oakville unless you have mega bucks to spend on an eventual house.

Burlington is lovely, lots of things going on - lakeside - very family friendly and more than a few Brits around, if you need company... it's cheaper than Oakville / Mississauga as the nearer you are to Toronto the more expensive houses / apartments (for rent or to buy) are.

Hamilton is a slightly cheaper alternative (we are the waterfall capital of Canada ) as we are a 15m drive further around the bay
Where will the job be located? Commute time could be a factor for you.

Vegan: Hamilton, https://www.happycow.net/north_ameri...gan-vegetarian
Burlington https://www.happycow.net/north_america/canada/ontario/burlington/?filters=vegan-vegetarian
Oakville https://www.happycow.net/north_ameri...gan-vegetarian
https://www.tripadvisor.ca/Restauran...n_Ontario.html
(plus the surrounding areas)

Last edited by Siouxie; Nov 23rd 2019 at 4:19 pm.
Old Nov 23rd 2019, 5:44 pm

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute

Boon Burger is a lovely restaurant, still think about the burger I had when my daughter took me. She also goes to a Food Truck Festival every year that is Vegetarian if not Vegan. She has noticed the vast diffrences in Veggie/Vegan options compared to Alberta.
Old Nov 23rd 2019, 11:06 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Siouxie

Let's not get distracted please... questions have been asked because they need answers, not a chit chat about where you lived.

Thank you.
My post was intended to counteract a less than friendly post to a newbie. BTW, 'Manc' doesn't refer to a location, it's a term of banter (among many other two way ones) used between two football clubs.
Old Nov 24th 2019, 2:06 am
BE Forum Addict

HGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Louisebrad
Hello all! My husband may have the opportunity to move to Canada through his work and they are going to pay for our move, visa, flights, place to stay for 3 months etc. He will have a great salary with health insurance for us all and other benefits.
we have always said we would love to move but now the opportunity seems to be coming im having a bit of a wobble! We live in Liverpool in a lovely area we have nice big house and our children go to a beautiful school we’re they are thriving, we always wanted to move for the ‘better way of life’ but reading through the threads it seems everyone is 50/50 on if Canada is in fact ‘better’ we are looking at burrlington and oakville and they are hoping to fly us out for a week once decisions have been made but as some of you have said you can’t really grasp much in a week. My biggest concern is schooling, we have 4 children aged 9,8,7 and 4 I’m just wondering if anyone has moved with children of similar age and how they adjusted. And totally random question but do supermarkets, restaurants have many vegan alternatives. Thanks in advance xx
We came, back in 2004 under very much same circumstances. Opportunity came through my husband's work, fully paid for by the company, car, short term accommodation and all moving expenses. Our boys were 9 and 5 at the time. We moved to Oakville.

Our thinking was that it would be a great experience for us all and if it didn't work out we could go back after our 3 year work permit expired and the oldest would still be young enough to slot back into the UK education system.

Our boys loved it from day 1 and consider themselves to be Canadian through and through. The more relaxed approach to schooling in the early years worked for them and they enjoyed having time and freedom to pursue sports.

Basically the move works for some and not for others, a lot is about the attitude you come with. Its certainly not perfect and, I think people who come because they believe it's going to offer a significantly better life are often disappointed.

As it turns out it has been a fantastic move for our family but we came for the adventure, not for a better life (we, like you, already had a good one in the UK) so we didn't drive ourselves crazy trying to decide whether it was worth it and if it truly was better.
Old Nov 25th 2019, 3:53 pm
Just Joined

Tabindi is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi! We moved to Oakville from Bristol nearly four years ago. Our kids were a little older than yours at the time, 10 and 13. We like Oakville very much but it is expensive. If your company is paying for your initial expenses I’d say you’re onto a winner though and finances probably won’t be much of an issue for you. There really are some lovely areas to live in Oakville if you have the money.
The kids both settled well but it was strange for my son to go into elementary school when he had been in seconday- a big step back but it didn’t bother him. I think if you asked both kids if they prefer Canada or the U.K they would be 50/50. They definitely still consider themselves British rather than Canadian. Your kids are younger though and I think the transition is easier the younger they are.
I am a vegetarian rather than a vegan. I don’t think there is as much choice in the supermarkets here but there are definitely suitable foods available.
Good luck on your move- I think it’s definitely worth taking the plunge!
Old Nov 25th 2019, 4:04 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tabindi
We like Oakville very much but it is expensive. If your company is paying for your initial expenses I’d say you’re onto a winner though and finances probably won’t be much of an issue for you.
I don't see this at all. If you have a house that's worth a million pounds and you're moving to a place where an equivalent house is two million pounds then surely you have a problem. I'm not a fan of suburbia but I would think a major part of the reason for living in such a place is the low cost of housing; if it's not cheap then you may as well live in Toronto and save dragging back and forth every day.