Hi!

Old Nov 22nd 2019, 5:22 pm
Just Joined

Louisebrad is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Hi!

Hello all! My husband may have the opportunity to move to Canada through his work and they are going to pay for our move, visa, flights, place to stay for 3 months etc. He will have a great salary with health insurance for us all and other benefits.
we have always said we would love to move but now the opportunity seems to be coming im having a bit of a wobble! We live in Liverpool in a lovely area we have nice big house and our children go to a beautiful school we’re they are thriving, we always wanted to move for the ‘better way of life’ but reading through the threads it seems everyone is 50/50 on if Canada is in fact ‘better’ we are looking at burrlington and oakville and they are hoping to fly us out for a week once decisions have been made but as some of you have said you can’t really grasp much in a week. My biggest concern is schooling, we have 4 children aged 9,8,7 and 4 I’m just wondering if anyone has moved with children of similar age and how they adjusted. And totally random question but do supermarkets, restaurants have many vegan alternatives. Thanks in advance xx
Old Nov 22nd 2019, 5:59 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Hi!

Originally Posted by Louisebrad
Hello all! My husband may have the opportunity to move to Canada through his work and they are going to pay for our move, visa, flights, place to stay for 3 months etc. He will have a great salary with health insurance for us all and other benefits.
we have always said we would love to move but now the opportunity seems to be coming im having a bit of a wobble! We live in Liverpool in a lovely area we have nice big house and our children go to a beautiful school we’re they are thriving, we always wanted to move for the ‘better way of life’ but reading through the threads it seems everyone is 50/50 on if Canada is in fact ‘better’ we are looking at burrlington and oakville and they are hoping to fly us out for a week once decisions have been made but as some of you have said you can’t really grasp much in a week. My biggest concern is schooling, we have 4 children aged 9,8,7 and 4 I’m just wondering if anyone has moved with children of similar age and how they adjusted. And totally random question but do supermarkets, restaurants have many vegan alternatives. Thanks in advance xx
Is this a temporary, or permanent, move?
Old Nov 22nd 2019, 6:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

CanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond repute

And totally random question but do supermarkets, restaurants have many vegan alternatives.
Yep being a vegan is quite common in Canada there are plenty of options, typically soy based though some are gluten and pea-protein based as well. These brands are sold in most supermarkets:
Yves Veggie Cuisine Canada
https://www.beyondmeat.com/
https://tofurky.com/

No Quorn though, even though micoprotein is allowed, Health Canada required them to fortify their products with B vitamins and Quorn refused. Quorn is available in many supermarkets in the US though, so accessible if near the border.
Old Nov 22nd 2019, 6:36 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian
Is this a temporary, or permanent, move?
permanent, we would be selling up xx
Old Nov 22nd 2019, 6:43 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

permanent, we would be selling up xx
I'd be wary of doing that until you have Permanent Residency in Canada personally - your husband will be tied to his employer on a work permit and so if the worst were to happen and he were made redundant, you could be having to leave Canada. So I'd keep the UK house until you have PR, as a bit of a safety net. JMO though! Best of luck with the move.
Old Nov 22nd 2019, 9:34 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

We live in Liverpool in a lovely area we have nice big house and our children go to a beautiful school we’re they are thriving,
Does such an area exist Obviously you are not living in Toxteth, Anfield, Heyworth St, or Queens Rd areas

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...mmunities.html

Old Nov 22nd 2019, 11:17 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

it seems everyone is 50/50 on if Canada is in fact ‘better’
It's better for some people. You will have to guess if your family is among them. It's not an obvious win; for a start the cost relative cost of houses might be a problem.
Old Nov 23rd 2019, 12:24 am
Forum Regular

Hemi Dave has a reputation beyond reputeHemi Dave has a reputation beyond reputeHemi Dave has a reputation beyond reputeHemi Dave has a reputation beyond reputeHemi Dave has a reputation beyond reputeHemi Dave has a reputation beyond reputeHemi Dave has a reputation beyond reputeHemi Dave has a reputation beyond reputeHemi Dave has a reputation beyond reputeHemi Dave has a reputation beyond reputeHemi Dave has a reputation beyond repute

Hey, welcome to the community.

We came over 7 years ago in a similar situation. Wife secured a transfer through work, they paid for the move. This makes a MASSIVE difference to your initial startup. There will be many people here who are insanely jealous of this opportunity lol.

We are in Ancaster/Hamilton, so fairly close to your target destination, wife works in Burlington.

We had already applied for PR before she got the twp, but initially we were here on a TWP for the first six months.

Anyway, the kids adjusted to school pretty quickly. If anything they found it much easier than Scotland. Less pressure, friendlier environment. They had both just started High School in Scotland, so a little older than yours.

Burlington is very expensive for property, and you actually get less for your money than you would if you were in the surrounding towns. It's all about that sweet sweet commute lol.

If you are coming over for a week, you've got to hook up with some locals, and see how we live. Otherwise it's just a rose tinted holiday which you may regret later.

It's very liberal here, some may say a little too liberal ;-) Food choices are huge. We went to our first vegan/GF restaurant this summer as we had celiac relatives over. A place in Burlington called Lettuce Love. It was actually pretty good. No idea what I was eating though.

We absolutely love it here. Never regretted a single minute. Happy to answer any questions you may have.
Old Nov 23rd 2019, 12:32 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hemi Dave

It's very liberal here, some may say a little too liberal ;-)
Do please expand upon this.
Old Nov 23rd 2019, 12:45 am
Forum Regular

Hemi Dave has a reputation beyond reputeHemi Dave has a reputation beyond reputeHemi Dave has a reputation beyond reputeHemi Dave has a reputation beyond reputeHemi Dave has a reputation beyond reputeHemi Dave has a reputation beyond reputeHemi Dave has a reputation beyond reputeHemi Dave has a reputation beyond reputeHemi Dave has a reputation beyond reputeHemi Dave has a reputation beyond reputeHemi Dave has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
Do please expand upon this.
hehehe, you're in one of those moods eh? lol

Look, I love Trudeau as much as the next gender neatral gay straight lesbian trans unicorn rainbow entity. Lets get back on topic.
Old Nov 23rd 2019, 6:41 am
Just Joined

[QUOTE=Former Lancastrian;12768075]Does such an area exist Obviously you are not living in Toxteth, Anfield, Heyworth St, or Queens Rd

I’ve not heard of queens Rd, thanks for the reply but an article from almost 8 years ago doesn’t seem to have any reference to any of my questions. I may be thinking of moving but I am very proud of my city and in relation to your question, yes they do exist 😁
Old Nov 23rd 2019, 6:51 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Hemi Dave
Hey, welcome to the community.

We came over 7 years ago in a similar situation. Wife secured a transfer through work, they paid for the move. This makes a MASSIVE difference to your initial startup. There will be many people here who are insanely jealous of this opportunity lol.

We are in Ancaster/Hamilton, so fairly close to your target destination, wife works in Burlington.

We had already applied for PR before she got the twp, but initially we were here on a TWP for the first six months.

Anyway, the kids adjusted to school pretty quickly. If anything they found it much easier than Scotland. Less pressure, friendlier environment. They had both just started High School in Scotland, so a little older than yours.

Burlington is very expensive for property, and you actually get less for your money than you would if you were in the surrounding towns. It's all about that sweet sweet commute lol.

If you are coming over for a week, you've got to hook up with some locals, and see how we live. Otherwise it's just a rose tinted holiday which you may regret later.

It's very liberal here, some may say a little too liberal ;-) Food choices are huge. We went to our first vegan/GF restaurant this summer as we had celiac relatives over. A place in Burlington called Lettuce Love. It was actually pretty good. No idea what I was eating though.

We absolutely love it here. Never regretted a single minute. Happy to answer any questions you may have.
Thank you so much for all information, I’ve read a few posts where children are more ahead when they get there. I work in a school so know how much pressure children are under from such an early age so it would be lovely if it there was less pressure but still want them to be pushed.
If it was just the two of us we would go for it but with children it’s completely different ball game thanks again for your reply
Old Nov 23rd 2019, 9:34 am
BE user by choice

Location: A Briton, married to a Canadian, now in Fredericton.
MillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Louise and welcome to BE....

Potentially exciting and terrifying times ahead for you - you would be very strange indeed if you didn’t have a wobble!

Anyone who contemplates a move to Canada with kids has got to think a thousand times about it, and then set in place strategies that are going to make the move a success, if indeed you decide to go for it. It’s tiring, because on the days you might feel low and miss home, you ultimately have to Mary Poppins your way through it for the kids - I think I ‘faked it till I maked it’ rather a lot of the time...but I have few regrets now, and wouldn’t have done too much too differently.

What sort of time frame are you/they looking at for the visit and move? The daily reality of winter here can be challenging for some - and exciting for others - on the visit front it might be an idea to experience it before you commit.

Very best of luck - try to stay sane
Old Nov 23rd 2019, 2:19 pm
The Dude Abides

theotherlebowski has a reputation beyond reputetheotherlebowski has a reputation beyond reputetheotherlebowski has a reputation beyond reputetheotherlebowski has a reputation beyond reputetheotherlebowski has a reputation beyond reputetheotherlebowski has a reputation beyond reputetheotherlebowski has a reputation beyond reputetheotherlebowski has a reputation beyond reputetheotherlebowski has a reputation beyond reputetheotherlebowski has a reputation beyond reputetheotherlebowski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
Does such an area exist Obviously you are not living in Toxteth, Anfield, Heyworth St, or Queens Rd areas

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...mmunities.html
Lark Lane, Aigburth, Greenbank area probably... that was the nice bit when I lived in Liverpool
Old Nov 23rd 2019, 2:44 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

I’ve not heard of queens Rd, thanks for the reply but an article from almost 8 years ago doesn’t seem to have any reference to any of my questions. I may be thinking of moving but I am very proud of my city and in relation to your question, yes they do exist 😁
Don't worry about him, he's a Manc and that's all that needs to be said really, isn't it Can't answer your questions sorry as I'm in Australia with my scouse husband. I lived on Merseyside for 3 years and Liverpool is the most fantastic city, I absolutely love it. Going over for another 6 weeks visit in a few months Best of luck with your decision and future!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.