Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Hi from a 70's immigrant!

Hi from a 70's immigrant!

Old Dec 13th 2007, 8:40 pm
Just Joined

PurpleSlacker is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Hi from a 70's immigrant!

Hello all. I moved to Canada with my parents and sister in the 70s as I was just finishing high school. I still don't feel Canadian but this is now my home. There's a lot I still miss about England, more than the pubs, I'd say the people. Laughing, cracking jokes, eye contact with a perfect stranger that can have you almost rolling on the ground with laughter. Am I right? That doesn't happen over here. But still. Canada is great. My kids are Canadian and always mock my English "idioms."

Great to be here, can't wait to participate more.

Pam
Old Dec 13th 2007, 8:43 pm
Now on Vancouver Island

Judy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Hi from a 70's immigrant!

Oops, Pam, I'd just finished responding to you in the orange squash thread, but welcome again anyway.
Old Dec 13th 2007, 11:41 pm
little snowy owl

Alberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by PurpleSlacker
There's a lot I still miss about England, more than the pubs, I'd say the people. Laughing, cracking jokes, eye contact with a perfect stranger that can have you almost rolling on the ground with laughter. Am I right?
Pam
Hi Pam and welcome to the forum.

I'd say your memories of England might be coloured by where you came from ... or maybe it's changed since the 70's, but it's not something I regard as being remotely English, having left Sussex 2 years ago! In fact.... I'd say you avoided eye contact with strangers if you could where I came from!

Where in Canada are you? doh sorry .. reread: East of Toronto! ... maybe different parts of Canada are not all the same either! eh?
Old Dec 17th 2007, 2:24 am
Just Joined

PurpleSlacker is an unknown quantity at this point

Hey there! Thanks for the welcome. Wow, Morwenna, that's somehow very sad to hear. I came from the Bournemouth area, and even when I went back home a couple of times, '81 and '89, I remember instantly feeling the warmth, even at Gatwick!

I lived in Toronto for most of my time in Canada, and a few years ago moved slightly east to Whitby. There is a huge difference in friendliness, actually. Here definitely feels more like "home" but really, I just see that as the difference between a big urban sprawling city and a small town.

I haven't been back home since '89 but when I do go, I'll certainly be aware of any changes! Hope I'm not too disappointed, LOL.

Pam
Old Dec 17th 2007, 9:09 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Coffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by PurpleSlacker
Hey there! Thanks for the welcome. Wow, Morwenna, that's somehow very sad to hear. I came from the Bournemouth area, and even when I went back home a couple of times, '81 and '89, I remember instantly feeling the warmth, even at Gatwick!

I lived in Toronto for most of my time in Canada, and a few years ago moved slightly east to Whitby. There is a huge difference in friendliness, actually. Here definitely feels more like "home" but really, I just see that as the difference between a big urban sprawling city and a small town.

I haven't been back home since '89 but when I do go, I'll certainly be aware of any changes! Hope I'm not too disappointed, LOL.

Pam
Hi Pam and welcome to BE sense of humor still here like everywhere people get stressed and tired with all the demands of modern life,
I think for the most people here are very friendly still ( i am ) i used to live in Richmond London and it wasn't as friendly as the village we are in now,
My oh commutes, unspoken rule is never have eye contact on the trains or tube really strange,
We had a carol service last night at the village church, very lovely and in the right spirit of christmas, wine, mince pies, children running around. notice the order of importance

We found it very friendly when we visited the Ottawa area at Easter even in the dreaded Walmart people were very open and friendly we now talk to them regularly and know they will make us welcome when we hopefully move there Its the same everywhere its human nature, but don't worry i am sure you will not be too disappointed on your next visit here :thumbsup

cheers sue