Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

HGV Class 1 Truck Driver

HGV Class 1 Truck Driver

Old Feb 27th 2007, 5:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

karla03 has a brilliant futurekarla03 has a brilliant futurekarla03 has a brilliant futurekarla03 has a brilliant futurekarla03 has a brilliant futurekarla03 has a brilliant future
Default HGV Class 1 Truck Driver

Hi,

My husband has been a Truck Driver for 14 years - 10 years driving in the British Army. We are currently looking into moving to Canada ( my husband, 3 young children and myself) as that is where we would love to go. The problem is, we are not sure how to go about it.

Lots of people are telling me that he could walk in off the street and he would get a job. How do we go about getting Visas. One company wanted at least £6,000 off us

If anyone could help, I would be so grateful.

Karla xxx
Old Feb 27th 2007, 5:50 pm
Now on Vancouver Island

Judy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: HGV Class 1 Truck Driver

Hi karla03,

I did a Google search for LONG HAUL TRUCK DRIVER + SAKATCHEWAN, and found Saskatchewan Immigrant Nominee Program's web page about its Long Haul Truck Driver Project. There has been a steady stream of British drivers moving to Saskatchewan through that program.

Another province that has been attracting British drivers through its provincial nominee program (PNP) has been Alberta. A Google search for LONG HAUL TRUCK DRIVER + ALBERTA probably would bring up links to relevant websites.

That Saskatchewan link that I gave you explains that province's PNP quite well. To find out which other provinces have PNPs and how they work, go to the PNP page of the Citizenship and Immigration Canada website.

Hope that helps.
Old Feb 27th 2007, 6:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

karla03 has a brilliant futurekarla03 has a brilliant futurekarla03 has a brilliant futurekarla03 has a brilliant futurekarla03 has a brilliant futurekarla03 has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Judy in Calgary
Hi karla03,

I did a Google search for LONG HAUL TRUCK DRIVER + SAKATCHEWAN, and found Saskatchewan Immigrant Nominee Program's web page about its Long Haul Truck Driver Project. There has been a steady stream of British drivers moving to Saskatchewan through that program.

Another province that has been attracting British drivers through its provincial nominee program (PNP) has been Alberta. A Google search for LONG HAUL TRUCK DRIVER + ALBERTA probably would bring up links to relevant websites.

That Saskatchewan link that I gave you explains that province's PNP quite well. To find out which other provinces have PNPs and how they work, go to the PNP page of the Citizenship and Immigration Canada website.

Hope that helps.

Thank you very much Judy

Karla xxx
Old Feb 27th 2007, 7:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

YYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by karla03
One company wanted at least £6,000 off us
A downtown Toronto Immigration lawyer quoted me $3000. You do the maths.

:-)
Old Feb 27th 2007, 7:39 pm
Now on Vancouver Island

Judy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond repute

I had to do an errand, but am back.

PNP is a process that leads to permanent residence (PR).

Some drivers come over on a temporary work permit (WP) and then, once they’re in Canada, apply for PR. To get a WP you first have to get a favourable labour market opinion (LMO) from Human Resources and Social Development Canada (HRDSC). That means that HRDSC have satisfied themselves that the occupation is in great demand in Canada and there are not enough qualified Canadian residents to fill the position. In order to demonstrate that they have not been able to fill the position with a Canadian resident, the employer usually has to have advertised the position for a certain length of time and has to have jumped through some other hoops.

But even before you get to that stage, you have to identify companies that are hiring long haul drivers.

I suggest you search for terms like HGV and long haul driver here on the Canada forum. This will bring up previous posts on the topic, and some of those posts will contain names of companies.

Also see what you can find on Internet job sites for Canada (Job Bank, Workopolis, Monster, etc.).

British truck drivers and their families have adapted to Canada with varying degrees of success. Many of them like it here, and get along just fine.

Some of them encounter challenges, such as these ones that I have heard about by word of mouth:
  • Because North America is so large, long haul driving involves being away from home for several nights at a time.
  • Some companies reportedly put pressure on their drivers to drive for longer than the legal limits.
  • Some companies consider you to be at your leisure while you’re waiting for your truck to be off-loaded or re-loaded at your destination. If you’re kept waiting for a day or two, you’re supposedly not working, and are not paid (although you naturally are responsible for your rig, so have to stay with it).
  • Companies tend to give the less preferred routes to newbies.
A long haul truck driver should be in enough demand that he should not have to pay one cent to an immigration consultant.

Hope that helps.
Old Feb 27th 2007, 7:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

Big Truck has a brilliant futureBig Truck has a brilliant futureBig Truck has a brilliant futureBig Truck has a brilliant futureBig Truck has a brilliant futureBig Truck has a brilliant future

Some drivers come over on a temporary work permit (WP) and then, once they’re in Canada, apply for PR. To get a WP you first have to get a favourable labour market opinion (LMO) from Human Resources and Social Development Canada (HRDSC). That means that HRDSC have satisfied themselves that the occupation is in great demand in Canada and there are not enough qualified Canadian residents to fill the position. In order to demonstrate that they have not been able to fill the position with a Canadian resident, the employer usually has to have advertised the position for a certain length of time and has to have jumped through some other hoops.

But even before you get to that stage, you have to identify companies that are hiring long haul drivers.

I suggest you search for terms like HGV and long haul driver here on the Canada forum. This will bring up previous posts on the topic, and some of those posts will contain names of companies.

Also see what you can find on Internet job sites for Canada (Job Bank, Workopolis, Monster, etc.).

British truck drivers and their families have adapted to Canada with varying degrees of success. Many of them like it here, and get along just fine.

Some of them encounter challenges, such as these ones that I have heard about by word of mouth:
  • Because North America is so large, long haul driving involves being away from home for several nights at a time.
  • Some companies reportedly put pressure on their drivers to drive for longer than the legal limits.
  • Some companies consider you to be at your leisure while you’re waiting for your truck to be off-loaded or re-loaded at your destination. If you’re kept waiting for a day or two, you’re supposedly not working, and are not paid (although you naturally are responsible for your rig, so have to stay with it).
A long haul truck driver should be in enough demand that he should not have to pay one cent to an immigration consultant.

Hope that helps.
Look up the "Canadian drivers forum" at www.onlinetruckers.co.uk
plenty of info here about relevent trucking companies and how to move over.
Old Feb 27th 2007, 7:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

Hope that helps.
Thank You so Much Judy - you've been a real help. I will let you know how I get on.

Karla xxx
Old Apr 20th 2007, 11:02 pm
Just Joined

ian1712 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi,

My husband has been a Truck Driver for 14 years - 10 years driving in the British Army. We are currently looking into moving to Canada ( my husband, 3 young children and myself) as that is where we would love to go. The problem is, we are not sure how to go about it.

Lots of people are telling me that he could walk in off the street and he would get a job. How do we go about getting Visas. One company wanted at least £6,000 off us

Karla xxx

Hi

DONT pay any money to anyone just surf the internet there are loads of HGV jobs in Canada we moved out here 11 months ago now and havent looked back at the moment the Provintial Governments in Alberta, Saskatchewan and also Manitoba offer a facility where as a driver take a look at http://www.aee.gov.sk.ca/immigration/
Then you can find a company on the internet

Best of luck

Ian
Old Apr 21st 2007, 7:04 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ian1712
Hi

DONT pay any money to anyone just surf the internet there are loads of HGV jobs in Canada we moved out here 11 months ago now and havent looked back at the moment the Provintial Governments in Alberta, Saskatchewan and also Manitoba offer a facility where as a driver take a look at http://www.aee.gov.sk.ca/immigration/
Then you can find a company on the internet

Best of luck

Ian

Hi Ian,

We have not paid a penny to anyone - we have done it ourselves and it was the best way for us. I knew exectly what was going on AND WHAT NEEDED TO BE DONE. We have 3 interviews lined up with trucking firms who are offereing PNP and can not wait until the 6th may, when we fly over for our visit .
Old Apr 21st 2007, 11:37 am
swoops

swoops is a name known to allswoops is a name known to allswoops is a name known to allswoops is a name known to allswoops is a name known to allswoops is a name known to allswoops is a name known to allswoops is a name known to allswoops is a name known to allswoops is a name known to allswoops is a name known to all

Hi Ian,

We have not paid a penny to anyone - we have done it ourselves and it was the best way for us. I knew exectly what was going on AND WHAT NEEDED TO BE DONE. We have 3 interviews lined up with trucking firms who are offereing PNP and can not wait until the 6th may, when we fly over for our visit .
For my sins..I'm trucker in the UK..I'm out in the Kamloops,BC area at the end of the month to do some recce..There's a few horror story's of dodgy company's some of the BIG and well known ones are more like a wolf in sheep's clothing..the PNP is there carrot.. ...check and do your homework on these firms,ask on Canadian/UK truckers forums..hope these can be of some help.. http://www.truckscan.ca/forums/ ..other Company's http://www.canadiantruckers.com/map2.html ..Good luck on the Interviews....10/10..catch you on the filp flop good buddy, just watch out for them bears in the air..10/4
Old Apr 21st 2007, 8:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

Big Truck has a brilliant futureBig Truck has a brilliant futureBig Truck has a brilliant futureBig Truck has a brilliant futureBig Truck has a brilliant futureBig Truck has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by swoops
For my sins..I'm trucker in the UK..I'm out in the Kamloops,BC area at the end of the month to do some recce..There's a few horror story's of dodgy company's some of the BIG and well known ones are more like a wolf in sheep's clothing..the PNP is there carrot.. ...check and do your homework on these firms,ask on Canadian/UK truckers forums..hope these can be of some help.. http://www.truckscan.ca/forums/ ..other Company's http://www.canadiantruckers.com/map2.html ..Good luck on the Interviews....10/10..catch you on the filp flop good buddy, just watch out for them bears in the air..10/4
"Convoy" and "Smokey and the Bandit" where filmed a long time ago,don't what ever you do call anybody "good buddy" on the CB in N.America nowadays unless you are that way inclined!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old Apr 21st 2007, 8:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Big Truck
"Convoy" and "Smokey and the Bandit" where filmed a long time ago,don't what ever you do call anybody "good buddy" on the CB in N.America nowadays unless you are that way inclined!!!!!!!!!!!!
which way inclined ????? LMAO
Old Apr 22nd 2007, 12:28 pm
swoops

swoops is a name known to allswoops is a name known to allswoops is a name known to allswoops is a name known to allswoops is a name known to allswoops is a name known to allswoops is a name known to allswoops is a name known to allswoops is a name known to allswoops is a name known to allswoops is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Big Truck
Cheers Big Truck...you just might have saved my A##.. .
Old Apr 22nd 2007, 4:09 pm

dunniflat is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi,

Karla xxx
hi karla,
i am replying to this post after your help and advice !thought i would read some of your posts!
we are also intending (if we definately go) to go through the alberta pnp!
my husband first of all went out on his research trip and came back with his job offer!the work permit with lmo no. has now been sent away and we should expect that( hopefully 6 weeks)we can apply for pnp from canada then that will lead onto permanent residence!you could also do it that way!