Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Hey Guys - What UK foods/snacks/treats do you miss?

Hey Guys - What UK foods/snacks/treats do you miss?

Old Jun 8th 2008, 7:43 pm
Logical & Hot Stuff

FlirtyKnickers has a reputation beyond reputeFlirtyKnickers has a reputation beyond reputeFlirtyKnickers has a reputation beyond reputeFlirtyKnickers has a reputation beyond reputeFlirtyKnickers has a reputation beyond reputeFlirtyKnickers has a reputation beyond reputeFlirtyKnickers has a reputation beyond reputeFlirtyKnickers has a reputation beyond reputeFlirtyKnickers has a reputation beyond reputeFlirtyKnickers has a reputation beyond reputeFlirtyKnickers has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Hey Guys - What UK foods/snacks/treats do you miss?

Originally Posted by daft batty
you're joking arent you?? Theres plenty of coleslaw here in many different disguises......There is even a nuclear fluorescent green one. So maybe I see your point after all

I am lazy and so buy bags of chopped cabbage and carrots and then add mayo to it.
yeah...i know what you mean about the green stuff....horrible!! I usually make my own when on holiday....but im going to miss the real McCoy from home.....
Old Jun 8th 2008, 8:57 pm
Forum Regular

wallace has much to be proud ofwallace has much to be proud ofwallace has much to be proud ofwallace has much to be proud ofwallace has much to be proud ofwallace has much to be proud ofwallace has much to be proud ofwallace has much to be proud ofwallace has much to be proud ofwallace has much to be proud ofwallace has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Rhodeys
Wallace...Please tell...where do you get the Robinsons from I miss sugar free blackcurrant and apple and I also miss Heinz light Salad cream.....other than that I don't miss anything in the UK except my family
Hi Rhodeys,

Have sent you a PM
Old Jun 8th 2008, 9:13 pm
Always lurking.

gingnut is a glorious beacon of lightgingnut is a glorious beacon of lightgingnut is a glorious beacon of lightgingnut is a glorious beacon of lightgingnut is a glorious beacon of lightgingnut is a glorious beacon of lightgingnut is a glorious beacon of lightgingnut is a glorious beacon of lightgingnut is a glorious beacon of lightgingnut is a glorious beacon of lightgingnut is a glorious beacon of light

Jaffa Cakes, ate a whole box when I was in the UK. I also miss Squash in all varieties, great low sugar drink for the kids that did not have aspertine. My husband hanging on to his last pack of Walkers Cheese and Onion. So don't break in to my house to steal it, because I know exactly where to find the culprit!
Old Jun 8th 2008, 10:32 pm

moondevil will become famous soon enoughmoondevil will become famous soon enough

We was shocked to see squash at real canadian, plus weetabix and aload of other stuff that i thought id have to do without....worth checking it out

My things that i will miss is hollands pies and warburton bread :curse:
trying to do without now so that i can live without them for when we move
Old Jul 20th 2008, 4:01 pm

cadpah is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Made-in-England-1967
Prob' the 1000th time it's been asked but I'm interested!! Right now I'd kill for a pack of Walkers cheese n onion & a pint of Marsdens!!! How about you??
1. Woodpecker cider
2. Hard roe
3. Roast Beef & Mustard crisps
4. Fresh (not canned) Broad Beans

By the way, Heinz Baked Beans here aren't the same as those in UK.. No Frills own brand in the yellow can are just like English.
Old Jul 20th 2008, 5:23 pm
Forum Regular

petemaz is an unknown quantity at this point

Cadburys chocolate buttons and definately bacon!
Old Jul 20th 2008, 5:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

Little D has much to be proud ofLittle D has much to be proud ofLittle D has much to be proud ofLittle D has much to be proud ofLittle D has much to be proud ofLittle D has much to be proud ofLittle D has much to be proud ofLittle D has much to be proud ofLittle D has much to be proud ofLittle D has much to be proud ofLittle D has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Made-in-England-1967
Prob' the 1000th time it's been asked but I'm interested!! Right now I'd kill for a pack of Walkers cheese n onion & a pint of Marsdens!!! How about you??
Magners cider and double decker choccie bars!
Old Jul 20th 2008, 9:46 pm
No time for muppets!

Mikey B is a glorious beacon of lightMikey B is a glorious beacon of lightMikey B is a glorious beacon of lightMikey B is a glorious beacon of lightMikey B is a glorious beacon of lightMikey B is a glorious beacon of lightMikey B is a glorious beacon of lightMikey B is a glorious beacon of lightMikey B is a glorious beacon of lightMikey B is a glorious beacon of lightMikey B is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Little D
Magners cider and double decker choccie bars!
Muller corner yoghurt
Old Jul 21st 2008, 12:41 am
Happy Bunnies

Flossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond repute

Just polished off a whole pack of curly wurlys that the folks bought over with them. Oh, and we have a small stash of Farrows marrow fat peas now (yay!)

And why does everything at the supermarket here have bl**dy tartrazine in (E102)?????
Old Jul 21st 2008, 1:12 am

terese677 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi
I've found back bacon in the real canadian superstore, and I'm lucky there's a british shop just 2 minutes down the road for a chocolate fix(although Purdys chocolate bars are very nice) . But one thing I really miss is high juice orange squash, and I can't find fresh custard ( I know I can just make it myself ) but if anyone can tell me where to find some................that would be great thank you
Terese
Old Jul 21st 2008, 1:21 am
Forum Regular

achanginglife is just really niceachanginglife is just really niceachanginglife is just really niceachanginglife is just really niceachanginglife is just really niceachanginglife is just really niceachanginglife is just really niceachanginglife is just really niceachanginglife is just really niceachanginglife is just really nice

Originally Posted by petemaz
Cadburys chocolate buttons and definately bacon!
If anyone misses creamy UK chocolate there is a shop here in town that makes their own, its the same if not better than Galaxy or Cadburys. I think they mail order. Le Chocolatier it is the best chocolate ever!!
Old Jul 22nd 2008, 9:46 pm
Just Joined

CrossroadsMan is an unknown quantity at this point

For anyone in Calgary, almost everything mentioned so far can be found at the British store in Eau Claire.

What I really miss are proper fish & chips (haven't found anything even nearly authentic in over 3 years of searching!) and chinese spare ribs (the big boney ones dripping with chinese bbq sauce).
Old Jul 22nd 2008, 9:50 pm

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by CrossroadsMan
For anyone in Calgary, almost everything mentioned so far can be found at the British store in Eau Claire.
There is also a "British Store" in Market Mall and another in the strip mall across the street from Northland Volkswagen.
Old Jul 23rd 2008, 7:59 pm
Forum Regular

kidmeup is an unknown quantity at this point

i am missing quavers and the odd double decker bar.my chocolate hit is being
numbed by large bars of tolberone from the real canadian store.
i did stock up with vindaloo curry paste and thai red/green paste's from there to.they werent that expensive.

decent steak is hard to find as the meat hasnt been hung long enough to tenderise it,so probably missing a good steak and chips pub dinner!!!

as mentioned before,warburtons bread for decent sandwiches,thats a biggy miss out for me.the bread isnt that good over here,but hey small price to pay for all the other fab returns the country has to offer.