British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Canada (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/)
-   -   Hey Guys - What UK foods/snacks/treats do you miss? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/hey-guys-what-uk-foods-snacks-treats-do-you-miss-541768/)

Made-in-England-1967 Jun 7th 2008 4:34 pm

Hey Guys - What UK foods/snacks/treats do you miss?

Prob' the 1000th time it's been asked but I'm interested!! Right now I'd kill for a pack of Walkers cheese n onion & a pint of Marsdens!!! How about you??

Getting There Jun 7th 2008 4:45 pm

Re: Hey Guys - What UK foods/snacks/treats do you miss?

Just about the only thing I hanker after is Minstrels!

Eamonn

MB-Realtor Jun 7th 2008 4:47 pm

Not a single thing.
But I do have an advantage, my wife runs "Raging Brit" and "The Brit Cafe" here in Winnipeg so I have my choice of deliciouses Brit foods.:thumbsup:

Journeyman Electrician Jun 7th 2008 4:49 pm

Scrumpy and a decent ploughmans pub lunch.

Gcauseway Jun 7th 2008 4:57 pm

This may be a long list :o: Lilt, hula hoops, minstrels, soda bread, a nice curry n chips and caffe au latte from Cafe Brazilia in Bangor, N. Ireland.

Getting There: In McKenzie Towne there is a place called the Jolly Candy Stop that sells crisps, chocholate and other British treats. A tad bit expensive but if you need a minstrel fix they have some there. I spent $40 last time I visited it :ohmy:

happy hatter Jun 7th 2008 5:02 pm

1. UK Heinz baked beans
2. Bacon

HH

Mikey B Jun 7th 2008 5:08 pm

Muller Corner Yoghurts

FlirtyKnickers Jun 7th 2008 5:10 pm

Originally Posted by Mikey B (Post 6444827)
Muller Corner Yoghurts

ha...im eating a lemon cheesecake one.....yummy:p

chriskatie Jun 7th 2008 5:47 pm

Originally Posted by Mikey B (Post 6444827)
Muller Corner Yoghurts

Mmm ... can't decide between the strawberry fruit corner or the banana and chocolate flake corner...:p;)

FlirtyKnickers Jun 7th 2008 5:49 pm

Originally Posted by chriskatie (Post 6444911)
Mmm ... can't decide between the strawberry fruit corner or the banana and chocolate flake corner...:p;)

oooooh......do you think we're being a tad cruel....:rofl: might nip to the shop for a bar of Galaxy....anyone want one???;)

chriskatie Jun 7th 2008 6:00 pm

Originally Posted by FlirtyKnickers (Post 6444915)
oooooh......do you think we're being a tad cruel....:rofl: might nip to the shop for a bar of Galaxy....anyone want one???;)

Thanks but I'm ok... I've got some in my cupboard; next to the Heinz baked beans, walkers crisps, minstrels, hula hoops, lilt and Marston's!:lol:;)

FlirtyKnickers Jun 7th 2008 6:03 pm

Originally Posted by chriskatie (Post 6444939)
Thanks but I'm ok... I've got some in my cupboard; next to the Heinz baked beans, walkers crisps, minstrels, hula hoops, lilt and Marston's!:lol:;)

oh i do fancy a pot noodle....or maybe a bacon sandwich....:rofl:

Getting There Jun 7th 2008 6:27 pm

Originally Posted by Gcauseway (Post 6444803)
This may be a long list :o: Lilt, hula hoops, minstrels, soda bread, a nice curry n chips and caffe au latte from Cafe Brazilia in Bangor, N. Ireland.

Getting There: In McKenzie Towne there is a place called the Jolly Candy Stop that sells crisps, chocholate and other British treats. A tad bit expensive but if you need a minstrel fix they have some there. I spent $40 last time I visited it :ohmy:

Thank you. I'm off up the road from Okotoks now to go get some. :D

Someone mentioned curry. Yep, definitely miss a decent curry house. We gather there's one in Cochrane but we'd need serious withdrawal symptoms to drive so far for a take-away (sorry, "take out" - must use the correct terminology) - so maybe next week then!

Eamonn

theroyalseh Jun 7th 2008 7:04 pm

Curly Wurly bars - finger of fudge - and Marks and Sparks prawn and mayo sarnies!:thumbsup:

Cookie Jun 7th 2008 9:28 pm

Originally Posted by happy hatter (Post 6444818)
1. UK Heinz baked beans

2. Bacon

HH

Try Clarks baked beans in Tomato sauce - get them in Sobeys (taste very similar to Heinz).

I still have some choccie goodies left over from when my mum visited last month. In my secret stash there are Mintrels, toffee crisps and Fry's turkish delights :wub:

I wouldn't mind a plate of chippy chips though, smothered in vinegar and a touch of salt :wub: